Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new bank.

• 14-12-2016 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭

Evening all.

I am currently home for Christmas from Canada. I am now thinking more and more about moving back to Ireland in the next 12-18 months.

I was with B.O.I until I left and left my accounts open. Today, when I popped down to them, my accounts had been closed due to lack of activity. I was a bit surprised as I never received any notification of this. With that, I think it's time to change banks fully.

I do have money both here and in Canada. Moving back to Ireland would obviously mean shipping over my money, and the money I have in Ireland (currently in my mothers account) could go in there before hand.

My main question is which would be the best bank to go with. I do look at a mortgage in the future so that is a consideration as well, along with online banking and investment options.

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057663647

I would go with EBS Money Manager. No they don't have a smartphone app and online stuff is pretty basic but it's FREE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Delta2113 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057663647

I would go with EBS Money Manager. No they don't have a smartphone app and online stuff is pretty basic but it's FREE.

I looked into one of those and the only way to open it was by setting up an appointment in one of their branches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

You will need proof of EU residency before you can open a current account in Ireland.

McGaggs wrote: »
    I looked into one of those and the only way to open it was by setting up an appointment in one of their branches.

I wouldn't see this as a major obstacle and it's FREE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I left BOI for KBC. €6 a quarter fees. Great app. .2% discount on mortgage with a current account (and current LTV rates are some of the lowest), 1% cashback on Credit card (up to €10 per month).

When I had a fraudulent transaction on my account I had an immediate call to verify, they temporarily lifted the block on my card so I could transfer cash to a Prepaid debit card, canceled the card, immediately refunded me the money and I had a replacement card in 48 hours.

Contrast that with the wifes experience with BOI. 2 weeks to get a new card, 6 weeks of chasing to get a refund.

• Advertisement

Delta2113 wrote: »
    I wouldn't see this as a major obstacle and it's FREE.

The obstacle is the OP is not an Irish resident.

stimpson wrote: »
    I left BOI for KBC. €6 a quarter fees.

No maintenance fees if you deposit at least 2,500 EUR in total per month and switch to the KBC Extra Current Account product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

JTMan wrote: »
    No maintenance fees if you deposit at least 2,500 EUR in total per month and switch to the KBC Extra Current Account product.

How did I miss that? Nice one - that's saved me €24pa.

JTMan wrote: »
    The obstacle is the OP is not an Irish resident.

- We don't know that for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Thanks for the help guys!

• Advertisement
Advertisement