Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon - Sunday June 4th 2017

Options
  • 14-12-2016 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭

Cork-City-Marathon-Photo-Irish-Examiner-min.jpg

The 2017 Cork City Marathon was launched today, Wednesday December 14th, and, after months of wrangling with planning and logistics, the 2017 event is set for Sunday June 4th, breaking with the long-standing association with Bank Holiday Monday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Great stuff - this will boost the numbers running in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

What's the course like, anybody done it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

ariana` wrote: »
    What's the course like, anybody done it before?

People say it's tougher than Dublin but I found it to be around the same, good support for most of it couple of lonely spots but overall well worth doing. Weather is hit/miss. Heatwave this year and a torrential day in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I love the honesty of the blurb in that link... referring without exaggeration to the 'calamitous' start of the half in 2016! :pac:

Interesting that they are looking to 'flatten' the course... not sure that's possible in Cork unless staying on the river bank... ?? the hills are shorter and sharper than Dublin but elevation seems to be similar overall. Did the half in 2016 (plus a half) and 2015 ... really enjoyable event.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Cork is a great race, and I hope the Sunday move pays dividends. I think the biggest issue with the race's success is its failure to commit to whether it's a marathon, a half, a relay, or a street party (alright, that last one was based on my experience of being kept awake all night before the race).

All decent aspirations, but the overall experience tends to fall between the stools (careful now). Wish it luck though, and I'll be doing this race again for sure in the future. Not sure the course needs much improvement - it has terrific variety between city, riverside, tunnel, industrial, more riverside, the mahon line, parks, suburban estates, and urban parkland running. I'd be tending to leave it mostly where it is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement