Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance companies for Jap imports

Options
  • 14-12-2016 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at changing my car lately so I rang up my current insurer Liberty for a few quotes, specifically on a Honda Integra DC2 type r and Nissan 180sx type x and the like.

They said that they don't insure these cars full stop, for anyone.
    I'm already insured on a Jap import with them so I didn't think this would be an issue.

What are the insurance companies that do insure these kinds of jap imports? Would it be better to go through a broker for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I am with Liberty on a Type r DC2. Have been for a good few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I had on Liberty:

Mx5
    Nissan skyline gtst
    Subaru wrx

Every single time I called for qoute before buying I was told they will never insure anyone on these high performance cars.
    Every single time I buy these high performance cars I just call them to update my policy as I bought new car and every single time I get it insured with minimal increase.

The fear in this that they will Fu on renewal. When I went from subaru wrx to alfa gt diesel, they increase premiums, but got mad renewal in 2 months. Went from 800eu on wrx to 1600eu on alfa gt diesel. Go figure: 150hp diesel is twice more dangerous then awd 225hp petrol beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Pops_20

So if you just say, I've bought a new car and want to swap insurance, there should be no issue?

I did mention that I hadn't already bought the car, but I didn't think this made a difference on their end when they are putting in the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Pops_20 wrote: »
    So if you just say, I've bought a new car and want to swap insurance, there should be no issue?

I did mention that I hadn't already bought the car, but I didn't think this made a difference on their end when they are putting in the details.

That's the thing. They don't give you qoute and chancing it, but if you say I bought it, here is the reg. I just want update my policy. They usually take time and put you on hold, but give you insurance.
    Best thing to do and what I did:
    Go have q look at car and if you like it and made a deal on price just say: " one second, I call my insurance", before handing in money.
    You call and if all good ( Always was), then change it and give money. This way you cover your arse. Nothing would be worse to pay for car and then ring insurance company to get a big finger in to your face

Advertisement