Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda fine - Incorrect address

• 14-12-2016 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hey All,

I was caught using the bus lane while overtaking a car that was turning right (which I am entitled to do as I have to keep the traffic flowing).

Anyway, I received a letter with a €60 fine (no points) but my address is incorrectly spelled on the fine.

Is there anyway I can get away with this and if so, how?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you feel the sanction is incorrect don't pay and contest it in court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭paddydone1

Untaking a car is it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Huza91 wrote: »
    Hey All,

I was caught using the bus lane while overtaking a car that was turning right (which I am entitled to do as I have to keep the traffic flowing).

Anyway, I received a letter with a €60 fine (no points) but my address is incorrectly spelled on the fine.

Ireland doesn't really allow technicalities as a cop out, even if your name was spelled incorrect the judge would just amend it on the day in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Huza91

Other than the maneuver, am I able to reject the fine as my address is spelled incorrectly?

Yes but the Guard on duty filled out the form incorrectly. Therefore should the fine be invalid?

• Advertisement

More than likely you broke a single white line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

paddydone1 wrote: »
    Untaking a car is it.

You are allowed pass a vehicle on the left if the other vehicle is waiting to turn right.
    But bus lanes are bus lanes and if you only dipped in and out of it, then that was bad luck.

Btw O.P.,
    How did you get the fine if it was wrongly addressed? Minor address errors tend to be ignored by judges, so better to just pay the fine or have the exrra expense of a day in court.

"
    (5) A driver may only overtake on the left—

( a ) where the driver of the vehicle about to be overtaken has signalled an intention to turn to the right and the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to go straight ahead or to turn to the left,

( b ) where the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to turn left at the next road junction and has signalled this intention,

( c ) in slow moving traffic, when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver's right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle."

Nothing about continuous white line or bus lane :)

So anyway, am I able to reject this fine as it is incorrect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You can't "reject" it. You can choose to go to court and challenge it but you will most likely loose. If you went into a bus lane that's probably why.

Pay it. Move on. It's too much hassle otherwise.

Hey All,

How did you get it if your address was wrong?

• Advertisement

Holy christ, YOU CAN USE A BUS LANE WHEN UNDERTAKING TO KEEP THE TRAFFIC FLOWING!!!!!!

Read the rules of the road people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Holy christ, YOU CAN USE A BUS LANE WHEN UNDERTAKING TO KEEP THE TRAFFIC FLOWING!!!!!!

Into court with you so, and use that as your defence.

Best of luck.

You can't Cross a continuous white line.
    Which you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Go to court. Use that attitude. Let us know how you get on? Actually let us know when, I'd like to watch.

The rule you posted were exceptions. No mention of bus lane as an exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

fight it all the way lad,sure you have 2 reasons to fight it so you might as well

Lets say there is a broken down car ahead and there's a bus lane to my left.

Are you saying I have to stay in behind the broken down car?????

Go back to bed would ye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Go back to bed would ye

thats the spirit!

fight it!

fight it all the way lad,sure you have 2 reasons to fight it so you might as well

Love the name man haha

Go back to bed would ye
    If you're so sure of yourself, why are you asking for advice here :confused:

(and then soundly rejecting all that's given)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ROTR is just a brochure from RSA.

Quote the relevant law if you ate that certain...

• Advertisement

Once again, people do not read to OP.

I am asking CAN I get away with the fine as my address is not correct - This has NOTHING got to do with the undertake.

grogi wrote: »
    ROTR is just a brochure from RSA.

Quote the relevant law if you ate that certain...

Go back to page one and you will see what I quoted from the following

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print

S.I. No. 182/1997 - Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations, 1997

I am asking CAN I get away with the fine as my address is not correct - This has NOTHING got to do with the undertake.
    That's been answered at least twice.

The judge will more than likely amend a small spelling mistake on the day. So no.

If your address was not correct, how come you received and accepted the notice of fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

No. Have some balls and just pay it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 r4110

ignore the idiots who think they know it all. i had a case thrown out for drink driving over a misspelled address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

No

The address is spelled incorrectly.

Let's say I live in Ballyfermot .

On the fine, it is spelled as Balleyfermot

grogi wrote: »
    No. Have some balls and just pay it

So I have no balls by not paying it?

I'm sure you paid your water charge.

Absolute plum

Seriously?

You really think you'll get out of a fine based on a one-letter typo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭Allinall

It's you that's being fined, not your house.

Fair enough all.

Thanks for all your input.

Fine just paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Only way is to try it in court, can't get it struck off before that.

Tbh the judge will probably ask you how you got notice of the fine, and then state that if the address was correct enough to get to you - it's correct enough to fine you. (The court value)

I'd be more inclined to contest the charge than the slightly incorrect address if you really don't want to pay it.

Go back to bed would ye
    You indicate and pass on the right when the way is free, ya broke a single
    White line and entered a bus lane. Ya done the crime now pay the fine. Lesson learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

r4110 wrote: »
    ignore the idiots who think they know it all. i had a case thrown out for drink driving over a misspelled address

You sound oddly kind of proud of that or something. Drink driving is nothing to be proud of, case thrown out or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ah you big eejit. You could have taken them to the European Court of Human Rights....you probably would have gotten at least 674 million for the wrong address. Knowing your luck they would have spelled your name wrong on the cheque.

• Advertisement

paddydone1 wrote: »
    You indicate and pass on the right when the way is free, ya broke a single
    White line and entered a bus lane. Ya done the crime now pay the fine. Lesson learned.

So lets say a car breaks down here and is in the right lane.

According to you I'm not allowed to use the bus lane.
    According to you I must overtake on the right.

Jesus if the Guards were here they would have a field day.

Fines would be flying at every angle and they'd be rolling in the dolla dolla hahahahhahaha.

You haven't a breeze what you're on about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print

Section 32.

YOU CAN NOT UNDERTAKE USING A BUS LANE.
    You should read SI which is law as oppose to the rules if the road which are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Yes but the Guard on duty filled out the form incorrectly. Therefore should the fine be invalid?

Will ya ever feck off with that type of stupidity. If that was the case every eejit spinning down a bus lane would give slightly incorrect addresses.

Go on, go to court and see how such ridiculousness gets treated by a judge. (expect €500+ fine)

Walter2016 wrote: »
    Will ya ever feck off with that type of stupidity. If that was the case every eejit spinning down a bus lane would give slightly incorrect addresses.

Go on, go to court and see how such ridiculousness gets treated by a judge. (expect €500+ fine)

You calm yourself down, my address is on my licence which I gave to the guard. I never gave any details at all

According to Irish Statute Law he is right and you are wrong.

Of course common sense should prevail given certain circumstances, but remember, we still couldn't use the bus lanes during bus strikes..
    Bus Lanes

32. (1) A bus lane shall be indicated by means of traffic sign number RUS 028 or traffic sign number RUS 029 used in association with traffic sign number RRM 024, and a contra flow bus lane shall be indicated by means of traffic sign number RUS 030 used in association with traffic sign number RRM 024.

(2) A person shall not enter a bus lane with a vehicle other than an omnibus or a pedal cycle during the period of operation of the bus lane which shall be indicated on an information plate.

(3) A person shall not enter a contra flow bus lane with a vehicle other than an omnibus.

(4) A person shall not enter a bus only street with a vehicle other than an omnibus except for the purpose of access.

(5) ( a ) Sub-articles (1) and (2) shall not apply to a vehicle crossing a with flow bus lane or a contra flow bus lane solely for the purpose—

(i) of entering or leaving premises or property adjacent to such a bus lane, or

(ii) of entering or leaving a road inset adjacent to such a bus lane in order to load or unload goods.

( b ) Sub-article (2) shall not apply to a taxi or a wheelchair accessible taxi which is being used in the course of business.

• Advertisement

So lets say a car breaks down here and is in the right lane.

According to you I must overtake on the right.

Jesus if the Guards were here they would have a field day.

Fines would be flying at every angle and they'd be rolling in the dolla dolla hahahahhahaha.

So what do I do in this predicament?

I'm not allowed to use the bus lane.

So therefore according to you, I must sit in my car patiently and wait until the car has been moved while I back the traffic up.

Nice one mate, you'll go far 😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

So what do I do in this predicament?

I'm not allowed to use the bus lane.

So therefore according to you, I must sit in my car patiently and wait until the car has been moved while I back the traffic up.

Nice one mate, you'll go far 😂😂😂

Yes you wait.

In a situation like that, common sense would say enter and leave the bus lane, albeit it is technically illegal.
    But doing it just to pass a car thats turning and will be out if your way in a minute or two displayed impatience and thats what probably got you into trouble.

r4110 wrote: »
    Scum of the earth drink drivers are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Totally irrelevant, a judge will just amend it in court.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    In a situation like that, common sense would say enter and leave the bus lane, albeit it is technically illegal.
    But doing it just to pass a car thats turning and will be out if your way in a minute or two displayed impatience and thats what probably got you into trouble.

Common sense? Oh no I'm not allowed to enter a bus lane. It says it in section 32.

Absolute horse manure talk from you.

Your typical aggressive driver who got there license in a lucky bag.

Common sense? Oh no I'm not allowed to enter a bus lane. It says it in section 32.

Absolute horse manure talk from you.

Listen to yourself, you asked for an answer, I pointed to the law, personally I don't give a flying fu@k what you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

bubblypop wrote: »
    You can't Cross a continuous white line.
    Which you did.
    Bus lane lines are legally different to continuous white lines. So if it was for that they'd be ok. However it's probably for being in the lane at all during the active lane hours.

Listen to yourself, you asked for an answer, I pointed to the law, personally I don't give a flying fu@k what you do.

Yes you did point to the law then you pointed to common sense. Make your mind up you sleeping bag :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement