Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor insurance

Options
  • 14-12-2016 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I was involved in an accident this evening. A driver just came out in front of me. He hit the two doors on drivers side. He accepted responsibility. I am wondering should I report this incident to my Insurance company. Will they put it on their file that I had an accident & thus increase my premium. Or will I just do nothing!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

hillbloom wrote: »
    I was involved in an accident this evening. A driver just came out in front of me. He hit the two doors on drivers side. He accepted responsibility. I am wondering should I report this incident to my Insurance company. Will they put it on their file that I had an accident & thus increase my premium. Or will I just do nothing!!

Report it. 2 reasons ;

1. It is a condition of your contract of insurance that you do so.
    2. It is a legal requirement under Road Traffic Act 1961 (S. 71) to do so.

I am not an underwriter so I don't really know the second answer about premiums. Theoretically, they might load a policyholder who has a high frequency of accidents as an underwriting measure. Generally, these days, you would not be sure what they might do ! However, be certain about having to report the accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Another reason to report it is if the other driver suddenly changes his story and tries to blame you for the accident.

Advertisement