Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we install window sensors?

• 14-12-2016 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

We're installing a house alarm (never had one before). Trying to decide if we want window sensors or not. As far as I can see:

Not installing them a) is cheaper and b) will lead to fewer false alarms.

Installing them a) is dearer but b) will give us the option of being able to move around freely inside the house while having the 'perimeter' of the house secure. Is this an advantage that's worth the extra cost?

We envisage having contacts on main entrances and motion sensors internally.
    Can anyone with experience advise?
    Is there something I'm not considering?

Thanks in advance!
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Id go with the sensors, ones with inertias will activate the system before someone gets into the house,

• Registered Users Posts: 29 world cup

Would false alarms not be a concern?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Not if they are installed correctly. Inertia sensors & contacts on all accessible is the most popular & best form of protection.
    Sounds like someone is trying to sell you different??:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Not sure what are your requirements but I went a bit mad.

Each sensor has its own zone,with respect to alarms,settings,status.
    PIR is activated on its on zone,allowing free movement at certain setup.

Enjoy it.

403952.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭kub

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

Enjoy it.

403952.jpg

Brilliant, well done, the last time i saw something like that was in a Bank vault.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Not if they are installed correctly. Inertia sensors & contacts on all accessible is the most popular & best form of protection.
    Sounds like someone is trying to sell you different??:eek:

I agree, a proper home security system would have all accessible windows and doors fitted with inertia sensors and contacts at a minimum.

Anything else is just an alarm system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

The big advantage is that the inertia sensors will usually go off if someone's tampering with your windows, so you will likely avoid a lot of damage.

If you just have contacts, they will have crowbarred or otherwise opened the window before the alarm goes off.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The big advantage is that the inertia sensors will usually go off if someone's tampering with your windows, so you will likely avoid a lot of damage.

If you just have contacts, they will have crowbarred or otherwise opened the window before the alarm goes off.

And if you have just motion sensors it wont go off at all untill after you have been broken into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭J.R.

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

Enjoy it.

403952.jpg

Would it not be easier to install inertia sensors with mag. contacts incorporated or would they not work in this case

Hkc-Shock-Sensor-with-Contact.jpg

You could install them or any other inertia contact and still have them on separate zones.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote:
    And if you have just motion sensors it wont go off at all untill after you have been broken into.

Which is something a certain nationwide company is not letting people know with their great marketing campaigns.

J.R. wrote: »
    Would it not be easier to install inertia sensors with mag. contacts incorporated or would they not work in this case

Hkc-Shock-Sensor-with-Contact.jpg

My inertia sensors are electronical controlled, has more electronics than the combi units.Of course,they are bot relying on some golden plated mechanisms inisde,but you open them and can see the quality of the "craftmanship" immediately. For example,it has LED visual indication of the level of tamper with the glass,indicating that is working(at least that makes me feel better when i open,close the window or kick the unit).

Also i like to have "single unit - single function" assigned and not a single device doing all the hard work.

They all use gold plating. The only benefit of that LED is to identify which sensor activated if there are multiple units on the same zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

It's a big issue too as you've a massive repair bill if someone does serious damage to something like a triple glazed modern window. It's not just fixing with a bit of putty ans some nails.

It's a big issue too as you've a massive repair bill if someone does serious damage to something like a triple glazed modern window. It's not just fixing with a bit of putty ans some nails.

Well, if the external CCTVs and the PIRs will not keep "the convinced" guys away.. then, i guess thats why i pay insurance ! :)

Advertisement