Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary trained teaching Special needs primary

Options
  • 14-12-2016 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hey guys,

I've been subbing in a special needs school for some time now and my stint is about to come to a close.

I've been given a job offer in a special needs school that caters to primary and post primary. However the class I've been given are ages 6 - 10. That would make them all primary level wouldn't it?

Does that mean I'd get an unqualified rate? I don't have a degree/dip in special ed.

I think I was just fortunate in the school I'm in now as one of the students is of post primary age. Really devastated by this as I was hoping to get an older class and the school is in a great area for me. Considering I feel I'm getting shafted with the new entrant wages/payscale, I think get the unqualified rate might be a step to far. That said I have no idea how much it would affect my take home pay

Anyone know what the deal is for a secondary qualified teacher working with primary level special ed students?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

Will you be getting a contract? Is the school designated as a primary or post primary school?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its all about your TC registration category and the classification of the school

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Mendoza

School is both primary and secondary.

Was talking to principal. Says it shouldn't be a problem thankfully.

I'm just a sub for maternity leave. havent a clue about a contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

You should still get a contract that specifies it's a maternity leave you are covering though.

Advertisement