Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenager smoking week

Options
  • 14-12-2016 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Went into my 16 year old 's bedroom earlier to get the washing and it stank of weed. Really don't know what to do next. I'm shocked that he thought it was okay to smoke it in the house. Angry with him as I've had the drug talks etc. I think he may have got it from someone in school. Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

A lot of teenagers smoke weed. The drug dealers in the school are easy to find out. What you need to find out is whether or not he is someone who smokes for nights out or whether they are smoking everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

A lot of teenagers don't smoke weed too! (About 80%!)http://www.thejournal.ie/espad-survey-teenagers-2988868-Sep2016/

Don't forget the criminality aspect.

If he's caught as an adult (presuming he won't just 'stop' when he leaves school)... then there's a possibility of a criminal record. This might bring up issues in the future if his employer says 'right we need you to go to the US for some training / sales'. It could be grounds for dismissal for not disclosing it at the interview stage if he's refused a visa. (A lot of if's there, and I'm sure others will tell you that it'll never happen but I've heard it happen so it's still a possibility).
    There's also the issue of getting caught up in something and having to hire a legal, or worry it will be kept out of the newspapers.
    I don't know if it still happens but in the past it wasn't uncommon for parents to have to give 'charitable donations' to the local court journalist after a case to ignore the story.

Then if he travels abroad and assumes it's all cool and isn't aware of the countries laws he might get into tricky situations.

Suspended from school if it's found on the premises / named as part of a group who buy it. Then there's the pressure from the local gardai to name names.

Maybe find out if his grades are dropping in any of his classes. A quiet word to the year-head (you don't have to mention drugs... just say you're concerned as he seems a bit moody at home!). Has he dropped any extra curricular activities?
    Would it be better that you alert the school first or wait for the school to alert you if students are caught?
    Are you going to contact his friends' parents and let them know?

Then there's the issue of 'what' he is taking. Could it lead to experimentation with NPS. HAve a look at 'Legally High' on the CH4 website. Get him to have a look at it.

A lot of scary scenarios there, and they shouldn't be just for you to worry about. Put the list to him (calmly!) and ask him what he thinks, tell him they are risks he needs to know about, and you have to consider disclosing to other parents and the school before he has to carry the can.

Advertisement