Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive Debit Card charges

• 14-12-2016 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

I've always noticed small charges on my account when using card on amazon. Id have one transaction with full value and another with 22c etc.

Thing is now i purchased a weekend in hotel in prague and paid e400 on card. But afteru that i see another charge for e7. Seems excessive? The transaction says czk/10796.49/26.99459 e0.00 and then a debit card charge of e6.99.

Any thoughts on this. Is this normal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

It's foreign exchange charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

It's foreign exchange charges.

But I paid in euros. But yeah. Maybe cause they charged my account e400 from a foreign account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

But I paid in euros. But yeah. Maybe cause they charged my account e400 from a foreign account

You thought you did, you didnt. There was probably a little footnote on their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If it's AIB the transaction charges are a % and this looks like 1.75%. Check their service charges or the rates for your bank.

Seems about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I've always noticed small charges on my account when using card on amazon. Id have one transaction with full value and another with 22c etc.

Thing is now i purchased a weekend in hotel in prague and paid e400 on card. But afteru that i see another charge for e7. Seems excessive? The transaction says czk/10796.49/26.99459 e0.00 and then a debit card charge of e6.99.

Any thoughts on this. Is this normal?

If the transaction shows a CZK amount, most likely you paid in CZK, and depending whose rate is better (your card issuer or the Merchant) you might have made the better choice.

Your Card issuer has always added a fee to foreign transactions, but now are required to list them separately, rather than bundle it in the transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

1.75% foreign exchange fee - I think the max fee is €11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

Thanks guys for the answers. Reason I asked as it was never that high only. Also have a similar payment taken out from Ryanair and that was only e2.02 and was just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Thanks guys for the answers. Reason I asked as it was never that high only. Also have a similar payment taken out from Ryanair and that was only e2.02 and was just wondering.

It's a percentage fee, the higher the payment the higher the charge.

Advertisement