Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near RTA....

• 14-12-2016 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Almost witnessed a surefire fatal accident this morning...overdramatic, maybe....:eek:
    heading into Dublin on the N11 at top of booterstown ave this morning...A courier (Cy****e) went from the bus lane through two lanes of stationary traffic into a right turn lane in order to cut through a gap in the central strip to head south...he didn't even look to see a van travelling at speed to make his right turn....I swear I don't know how he managed to stop the van.....
    To mister beardy old guy on a Duville...you were so lucky ...and a complete knobhead...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Almost witnessed? Does this mean that you nearly but didn't actually see an accident??:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Almost witnessed a surefire fatal accident this morning...overdramatic, maybe....:eek:
    heading into Dublin on the N11 at top of booterstown ave this morning...A courier (Cy****e) went from the bus lane through two lanes of stationary traffic into a right turn lane in order to cut through a gap in the central strip to head south...he didn't even look to see a van travelling at speed to make his right turn....I swear I don't know how he managed to stop the van.....
    To mister beardy old guy on a Duville...you were so lucky ...and a complete knobhead...

Was he maybe a "Polite" and not a courier at all ?? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Apparently they're trying to ban that hi-viz in England cos it's too similar to the Police vests.

If the van had hit your man I'm sure he'd be screaming bloody murder that he should have seen him. Can't win!

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Colm17RvB wrote: »
    Apparently they're trying to ban that hi-viz in England cos it's too similar to the Police vests.

If the van had hit your man I'm sure he'd be screaming bloody murder that he should have seen him. Can't win!

I am not a fan of people who wear those...and there's a few on here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Almost witnessed? Does this mean that you nearly but didn't actually see an accident??:P

Thankfully yes......but the idiot deserved it if indeed it did happen..:P
    D3V!L wrote: »
    Was he maybe a "Polite" and not a courier at all ?? :pac:

Nah...deffo a non-polite courier....
    rat_race wrote: »

Some people feel safer in them....i'd rather drive defensively....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

I don't get how the polite vests are popular here at all, it works in the UK alright because they do have police. Some enterprising person should make a "I love my GARDEN" one, that would really piss everyone off.

People who wear them are utter bellends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have no desire to look like a cop.
    Nothing against them and the lads on bikes are pretty sound from my dealings with them.
    But I still wouldn't want to dress like one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

rat_race wrote: »

I wear a hi-viz, but the bike vuyers guide one, and only if it's dark-ish.

I wear a hi-viz, but the bike voyeurs guide one, and only if it's dark-ish.

Corrected yer spellin there mate....:D

The only Hi-Viz i buy is this on the top shelf in Easons.........:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

At the risk of derailing this thread why are so many people hating on the "POLITE" vests?
    People who wear them are utter bellends.

What :confused: ? Am I missing something?

Of the couple of people I've talked to about wearing them both wore vests before and they just felt that the "POLITE" would give people another reason to take notice of them. Nothing unreasonable or bellendy about that

Personally if I was trying to look like a Gardai I'd have the white helmet with a full hi-vis jacket and some black trousers. That would definitely make people look twice before cutting you off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    At the risk of derailing this thread why are so many people hating on the "POLITE" vests?

What :confused: ? Am I missing something?

Of the couple of people I've talked to about wearing them both wore vests before and they just felt that the "POLITE" would give people another reason to take notice of them. Nothing unreasonable or bellendy about that

Personally if I was trying to look like a Gardai I'd have the white helmet with a full hi-vis jacket and some black trousers. That would definitely make people look twice before cutting you off

You have one dont ya

Scarrrlaahh

Be honest here..if you wear a "POLITE" vest, do you wear it because people/drivers might think youre a "POLICE" motorcyclist and therefore makes you feel safer,by guilting them into getting out of your way.. or are you trying to get some message across that bikers are "POLITE"....i'm thinkin the former if im honest...

BTW in my experience of driving, when i see a bike coming in my mirrors, all i can see is a headlight, not a flashy vest..;)

I wear a hi-viz, but the bike vuyers guide one, and only if it's dark-ish.

I'm not talking about hi-viz in general, I'm talking about the ones that say, in a black and white stripey boxed font: "POLITE".

Annoying & misleading, and a bit sad for people to pretend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

listermint wrote: »
    You have one dont ya

Scarrrlaahh

RUCKCVR.JPG

No way man, this is the only thing I'd use. Cost me absolutely nothing and provides the additional visibility where I want it. Not a hope I'd shell out €20-30 on anything like a POLITE vest. :pac:
    Be honest here..if you wear a "POLITE" vest, do you wear it because people/drivers might think youre a "POLICE" motorcyclist and therefore makes you feel safer,by guilting them into getting out of your way.. or are you trying to get some message across that bikers are "POLITE"....i'm thinkin the former if im honest...

Personally I wouldn't wear one for either of those reasons. I'd assume their biggest benefit would be somebody seeing you, mistaking the POLITE for POLICE (if your lucky) and them getting an instant wake up call - "There is a policeman behind me, he's on a motorcycle, pay attention". Honestly Id rather rely on my own skill/ability to keep the rubber down. I was just saying I can understand why somebody would wear one, some people like to try and stack the odds, taking any small edge they can get.

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    RUCKCVR.JPG

No way man, this is the only thing I'd use. Cost me absolutely nothing and provides the additional visibility where I want it. Not a hope I'd shell out €20-30 on anything like a POLITE vest. :pac:

Personally I wouldn't wear one for either of those reasons. I'd assume their biggest benefit would be somebody seeing you, mistaking the POLITE for POLICE (if your lucky) and them getting an instant wake up call - "There is a policeman behind me, he's on a motorcycle, pay attention". Honestly Id rather rely on my own skill/ability to keep the rubber down. I was just saying I can understand why somebody would wear one, some people like to try and stack the odds, taking any small edge they can get.

Totally agree with you there..I ride with the idea that no one can see me, even with the headlight on..and i'd assume that if i did wear one ,it would make me easier to see...i NEVER assume..it makes an ass out of u and me...:o

BTW...are'nt the RSA the ones that are trying to get car drivers to drive with lights on ALL the time...makes me feel even less important on the road..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I tend to wear a high Viz whenever i actually use the bike (its been over 3 months). Not because i think it helps all that much when on the bike but if i happen to come off it at night i like to think the high viz may help another diver see me if I'm in all black and out cold on the road.

goodlad wrote: »
    I tend to wear a high Viz whenever i actually use the bike (its been over 3 months). Not because i think it helps all that much when on the bike but if i happen to come off it at night i like to think the high viz may help another diver see me if I'm in all black and out cold on the road.

Yeah, anyone who says a hi-viz is pointless "as they can't see me if they ain't gonna look", are just codding themselves...

It isn't that black and white.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Nah, it's rather yellow. :pac:

I've been codding myself for 22 years, crashed aplenty. I'll carry on codding myself until my numbers up thanks.

I'd say reflective bits have their uses in the dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

macplaxton wrote: »

I've been codding myself for 22 years, crashed aplenty. I'll carry on codding myself until my numbers up thanks.

This is the important bit. You see people out wearing high viz clothing - or so they think. They are yellow (or at least used to be) and not a reflective bit on it at all!

• Advertisement

macplaxton wrote: »

Don't thank me. You're just validating my point by sounding somewhat offended. It's ridiculous TBH ;) ...

I don't wear hi-viz myself. I have some but it's very very rare that I put them on.

I choose not to wear one as I have assessed the pros/cons myself, as we all can.

But that doesn't mean I'm silly enough to say they are not more eye-catching than a dark jacket, for instance. Or that just because I've not had any accidents, that somehow means hi-viz is not actually "higher visibility" or more eye-catching, or else I "should have had an accident for not wearing one by now", etc...

The fact that a bright colour is more noticeable than a dark colour, in dark conditions, doesn't change regardless of whether there are reflectors on it or not. Reflectors improve it again.

And the argument that "oh, I have a big light on the front, if they can't see that then they're not gonna see me hi-viz" -- which is all too common amongst some of the more challenged here -- is also dumb, if someone stops and thinks about it for two seconds (i.e., there are countless opportunities that other road users would have had to notice another road user, at a time when a light isn't pointing anywhere near them).

Again, it doesn't matter that all road users SHOULD be fully observant; they're not and never will me, and it's your life. It's about probability. If hi-viz clothing means some lazy half-observant road user noticed you in a case whereas they otherwise would not have, then hi-viz has helped that particular road situation.

I'm not pro hi-viz at all, I just despise the mental gymnastics excuses people come up with here for not wearing one. Just don't wear one and be quiet, rather than saying they don't make one more eye-catching on the road.

I think there's a lot of guys that wear them as some sort of protection,and if I don't wear one then I'm asking for it....when people started wearing them probably every driver noticed them because they might have mistaken them for Gardai....not now imo....and I'd imaging a lot of drivers get pi$$ed off when they realise the bike they moved over for was not a Garda bike....:mad:
    Yesterday I saw an old guy pull across a big silver suv with lights on ....ironically the suv driver was wearing a hiviz vest.....:)

Advertisement