Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sort gear selection?

Options
  • 14-12-2016 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I'm building a kit car, which is getting closer to being finished.

It's just had an exhaust made by Souhan's in Trim, and I'll be traillering it back to its D15 home after that.
    Problem is, amongst other things that aren't quite right yet, I can't select gears from the selector. I have a working gearbox, a bled clutch, and an appropriate gear selector, with the right length (ish) cables, and I can manually select the gears from the gearbox end.

Getting the trailer out, the gates off, the car off and everything reversed again in is a pretty drawn-out process, so I'm hoping to get this done this Saturday afternoon while I'm out and about with the trailer anyway.
    Can anyone recommend a garage that might be able to take my weird little project in on it's way home and having a look this Saturday? I feel like it should be something reasonably straightforward; maybe the bracket I made isn't right/strong enough?

http://mevowners.proboards.com/post/69928/thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Are you using gear lever setup that came with gearbox originally?

Obviously to be guaranteed to work, you would need cables mounted exactly as per original car at gearbox end and likewise at lever end.
    Obviously, you must not be able to achieve this due to space or whatever or else you wouldn't have a problem.
    Could you make a 2 part adjustable bracket for each cable at the gearbox end that would allow you to swivel and move forward and back bracket position for some fine tuning?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Not quite; I'm using a front-engined drivetrain (Focus ST170) with the engine at the back, a la Ariel Atom, and other Rockets.
    So the shift pattern would be reversed. The correct gear lever for this setup is that from the 1.8l focus, which is what I have in place. The run is now also about twice as long, so the original cables don't stretch far enough, I've used MGF cables.

Advertisement