Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work advice needed....

Options
  • 14-12-2016 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, I wonder if anyone could advise me on an employment issue, I recently left employment following six months of working for someone which was pretty much a one sided arrangement... I.e I was basicly treated like dirt and put in all the effort for very little reward.
    The job was on a farm and included tied accommodation which to be fair was a nice enough house, the only reason I stayed 6 months instead of 6 hours!!
    Ill just outline quickly my issues in the hope someone could advise....
    1- I regularly asked for payslips or my wages to be paid into my bank but the employer insisted on paying cash and I was never given a payslip.
    2- On my last day I calculated that I should have been due 4 weeks wages, 2 weeks holiday for the period of 6 months I was employed, the last weeks wages and 1 weeks money in hand. This should have totalled €1600 what i actually walked away with was €600.
    3- Time off, I worked from August untill start of December without a full day off, I received no extra pay for this helping out at weekends etc even though the agreement was for Monday to Friday. I did this to allow him to take cattle to shows.
    4- p45 I'm 2 weeks post leaving now and have not received a p45 they say the accountant was unable to print it the day I left employment. I know there was some mention of telling the tax office that I earned €350 a week instead of €400 I don't know what this is about as I am British and new to Ireland don't understand how the tax system works here. The agreement was that the employer paid me €400 a week and paid my taxes which I am lead to believe is fairly commonplace in farming here.
    5- I was not given a contract of employment I did ask for one and was just told they don't normally issue them.
    Now all of this may seem trivial and maybe I'm the one in the wrong for allowing it to go on and basicly be ripped off by working extra hours etc for no pay, I don't know but would really appreciate any advice.
    I'm currently paying emergency tax as my new employer who is very legitmate and has given me all the correct documents etc has said is procedure untill I submit the P45.
    On a note when I check my revenue account it says that I am still employed by that employer....
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

Advertisement