Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double edge razor.

Options
  • 14-12-2016 11:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering, has anyone any thoughts on double edge razors - are they any good or just a gimmick ?

Can anyone recommend one - that doesn't cost a fortune.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

They're definitely not a gimmick. You're less likely to get ingrown hairs when using a double edge. But, shaving with a double edge razor is different than using a cartridge razor. It's like going from an automatic car to a manual car. You will have to manually adjust your shaving angle and remember to use no pressure. This video will explain,

I recommend this razor if you want to give it a try(comes with the blades too.).
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/feather-popular-razor.html

Or, go with one of the sub 30 euro Edwin Jagger's. The heads are all the same so pick which handle you like the best.
    http://www.shaving.ie/brands/Edwin-Jagger.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Thank you very much for that.

As regards the changing of the blades, is the butterfly one the best ? Or does this compromise on how the blade sits in its housing. i.e. is a manual screw razor better?

Thank you very much for that.

As regards the changing of the blades, is the butterfly one the best ? Or does this compromise on how the blade sits in its housing. i.e. is a manual screw razor better?

No difference really. Both do the job but, go with the Jagger if you want the better razor.

No difference really. Both do the job but, go with the Jagger if you want the better razor.

Thanks.

Then in regard to blades, Are all the blades the same size and shuold all fit each other ?

Is there much of a difference in quality of blades.

What is rough price. 1 blade = ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Blades are dirt cheap, you can get 100 for €25 and each blade could last 3+ shaves.

I started with a safety razor a month or so ago and bought a 50 blade sampler pack.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/50-blade-premium-selection-sampler.html

The blades vary considerably. If you look at the youtube channel of nick shaves (linked above) you will see a lot of different blade reviews.

The sample pack is good as you can try a few different blades to see what works.

From what I understand (i.e not much) Feather and astra are among the sharpest while Derby and personna are at the other end of the scale but would be a bit smoother.

Just need to figure what works for you in your particular razor.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Blades are dirt cheap, you can get 100 for €25 and each blade could last 3+ shaves.

I started with a safety razor a month or so ago and bought a 50 blade sampler pack.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/50-blade-premium-selection-sampler.html

The blades vary considerably. If you look at the youtube channel of nick shaves (linked above) you will see a lot of different blade reviews.

The sample pack is good as you can try a few different blades to see what works.

From what I understand (i.e not much) Feather and astra are among the sharpest while Derby and personna are at the other end of the scale but would be a bit smoother.

Just need to figure what works for you in your particular razor.

Thank you.

So is it the blades that are the important thing? i.e more so than the razor handle/holder itself ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've heard the closeness of the shave is 30% Razor/70% Blade. But I don't really know as I've only ever used the one razor.

The razor determines how much of the blade is exposed to the skin so you have more or less aggressive razors. I guess its best to buy a less aggressive razor when starting off.

Thanks.

Then in regard to blades, Are all the blades the same size and shuold all fit each other ?

Is there much of a difference in quality of blades.

What is rough price. 1 blade = ?

Double edge blades are all the same size and will fit all double edge razors.

It's not really quality as such when it comes to blades. It comes down to what blade suits your skin type and the razor you're using( mild or aggressive) You have to find the blade the works best for you. My best setup would be a Voskhod blade and an Above the tie Razor R2. But, this blade will not work well if I put it into my 1951 Super Speed razor. For that razor I find the Perma Sharp Super works best.

But, since you're starting out I would recommend sticking to one blade http://www.shaving.ie/products/10-usa-made-personna-super-prep-de-blades.html for a few months until you get your technique down. Once you feel confident with the double edge razor then get a sample pack.

You should get anywhere from 3 to 6 shaves with a blade but since they are so cheap I usually toss them after my 3rd shave. This is where I get mine, 10 bucks for 100 blades, http://www.ebay.ie/itm/100-VOSKHOD-RAZOR-BLADES-FREE-GIFT-/252656416611?hash=item3ad37ef763:g:xawAAOSwux5YOyBo

Thanks again.

I see on that shaving.ie website that they have the razors broken down in to a few sections

1. Standard closed Comb
    2. Adjustable safety razors
    3. OPen comb & slant bar
    4. Stainlees steel razors

Which one should I be looking at?

Thanks again.

I see on that shaving.ie website that they have the razors broken down in to a few sections

1. Standard closed Comb
    2. Adjustable safety razors
    3. OPen comb & slant bar
    4. Stainlees steel razors

Which one should I be looking at?

What's your budget?

• Advertisement

What's your budget?

Not too much. About 30

Not too much. About 30

http://www.shaving.ie/products/edwin-jagger-de89-chrome.html

But like I said, the heads are all the same so it just comes down to which handle you like on the Jaggers for around 30 euro.

There is always the option to get a better made classic razor like this,
    https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/483554054/gillette-super-speed?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=gillette%20razor&ref=sr_gallery_9

I had a read of this at the time and ended up going with number 4 on the list:

http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/fashion-beauty/10-best-safety-razors-shaving-merkur-gilette-10111508.html

In fairness most reviews of razors seem to be fairly good. There don't seem to be many people disappointed no matter which they choose.

What is the difference between the 2 type razors in attached pictures?

one has kind of grizzly teeth and the other is just straight.

Is one more forgiving than the other etc?

Sorry for all the silly q's, im totally new to all this.

What is the difference between the 2 type razors in attached pictures?

one has kind of grizzly teeth and the other is just straight.

Is one more forgiving than the other etc?

Sorry for all the silly q's, im totally new to all this.

One is open comb the other is a closed come. Open comb razors tend to be a bit more aggressive.

One is open comb the other is a closed come. Open comb razors tend to be a bit more aggressive.

which is which, whats the one with the teeth ?

adrian522 wrote: »
    I had a read of this at the time and ended up going with number 4 on the list:

http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/fashion-beauty/10-best-safety-razors-shaving-merkur-gilette-10111508.html

In fairness most reviews of razors seem to be fairly good. There don't seem to be many people disappointed no matter which they choose.

The Muhler R89 is a nice shaver. They have a really nice stainless steel razor the Rocca that I'll probably end up getting soon.
    http://www.muehle-shaving.com/en/Shop/ROCCA/Safety-razor-from-MUEHLE-closed-foam-edge-stainless-steel-with-black-handle.html

I still waiting on my Timeless razor though, http://timelessrazor.com/

which is which, whats the one with the teeth ?

Open has the teeth. I'd recommend a closed for your fist DE though.

And then another silly question.

So there are 2 sides on these razor blades, how do people tend to use it.......use one side of the blade until it gets blunt, and then use the other side of the blade ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So there are 2 sides on these razor blades, how do people tend to use it.......use one side of the blade until it gets blunt, and then use the other side of the blade ?

I use one side until it's covered in cut hair and shaving soap, then switch to the other side, then rinse off the lot and continue shaving. :P

Anyone else on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I imagine what An File said is what almost everyone does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

How would you keep track of the side your using? When one side needs to be rinsed switch to the other then when both sides need to be done, rinse.

Don't think it's been mentioned but to me, lathering soap or cream is at least as important as the razor so ye'd need a brush and soap or cream. The stuff out of the can is not good quality.

I didn't find the learning curve people mention here and felt comfortable in about a week but I still think it's important to watch a few youtube clips for getting the technique in your head, then you can see what works for you.

The number of passes people do and whether they're with, across or against the grain is different for everyone so the passes you do and the blade you choose are what works for you

colly10 wrote: »
    How would you keep track of the side your using? When one side needs to be rinsed switch to the other then when both sides need to be done, rinse.

Don't think it's been mentioned but to me, lathering soap or cream is at least as important as the razor so ye'd need a brush and soap or cream. The stuff out of the can is not good quality.

I didn't find the learning curve people mention here and felt comfortable in about a week but I still think it's important to watch a few youtube clips for getting the technique in your head, then you can see what works for you.

The number of passes people do and whether they're with, across or against the grain is different for everyone so the passes you do and the blade you choose are what works for you

OK, get ya.

So that was my next question, I cannot just lash on the gel and shave, I should really be using the brush and a special soap etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I've used a DE and canned gel and it was grand to be honest.

Not my greatest shaves but not my worst either.

Thanks all.

Another q. What does the "hats" in the forum name mean - is it something to do with lads shaving their heads and wearing hats ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Just part of the forum, it covers headwear and facial hair, seperate topics, one forum

I don't like using gel with my DE but I know a lot of people don't mind it

Advertisement