Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman dies after falling into a vat of molten chocolate

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Oh Jesus the poor girl. I hope it was quick. It's like something from a horror film. Must be awful for her family to hear how she died.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Isn't it strange how geographic or cultural distance effects how we allow ourselves to feel about a tragic event?

If this happened in Leixlip to a young Irish woman half the people on this thread would be banned already.

God forbid if the victim was a semi famous Rugby player. The whole site might be shut down in a fit of indignation.

Well yeah, obviously. The difference is that if it happened in Leixlip there's a good chance that family or friends of the woman would read this thread.

Pretty small odds of the family of this poor woman reading Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

maudgonner wrote: »
    Well yeah, obviously. The difference is that if it happened in Leixlip there's a good chance that family or friends of the woman would read this thread.

Sure. Like David Bowie's family were hitting F5 on his RIP thread here for days. Thats the only reason I didn't make a few "hilarious" comments about his death from cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

:rolleyes: that makes it grand sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Zillah wrote: »
    The molten chocolate really seems to be incidental compared to the thrashing blades or whatever else was in there that could mince a person.
    If it was on the flip of a coin,I'd prefer to meet my end instantly at the end of some yoke full of blades than drown slow in chocolate.Drowning to me is only second to being buried alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Isn't it strange how geographic or cultural distance effects how we allow ourselves to feel about a tragic event?

If this happened in Leixlip to a young Irish woman half the people on this thread would be banned already.

God forbid if the victim was a semi famous Rugby player. The whole site might be shut down in a fit of indignation.
    It's not even the slightest bit strange.

RIP contaminated chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

In fairness, the freakish nature of her death combined with the fact that this is After Hours pretty much invites people to make quips. Do you expect 5 to 10 pages of people posting "Thats terrible. RIP"?

Yes, that or silence. Half the posts here are sick, unworthy of delinquent schoolboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Does it really matter if they are or not?, A young family will be without a mother this Christmas. Maybe if you put a face to the story it may not seem as funny. Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

Only 24 years old. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Does it really matter if they are or not?, A young family will be without a mother this Christmas.

Which will be true regardless of whether or not people make horrible jokes.

If you want to do something for the family by way of a donation or similar, I doubt anyone would have anything but respect for that, but in a space where the bereaved won't be affected by it, not laughing and laughing have exactly the same effect: none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Which will be true regardless of whether or not people make horrible jokes.

If you want to do something for the family by way of a donation or similar, I doubt anyone would have anything but respect for that, but in a space where the bereaved won't be affected by it, not laughing and laughing have exactly the same effect: none.

Or we could just be civilised people and not make rubbish quips about a dead woman. A 24 year old dead woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Or we could just be civilised people and not make rubbish quips about a dead woman. A 24 year old dead woman.

I once got some good advice from someone who's partner had just fallen on her head and went into a coma. "Just go out and laugh. At everything. All the time. I'll be back...with a notebook full of coma jokes".* It's good advice. The only trick is it has to apply to the tragedies that happen to you, not just the ones that happen to strangers in Russia.

*The guy who gave me the advice didn't give it personally, it's just something a relatively famous guy said. But this post seems more persuasive if I phrase it this way

• Registered Users Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Willy Wonka's punishments have been taken up a notch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

What's funny is that it's OK to quip about an individual incident in Russia but no one would joke about Allepo even though it's another geographical tragedy. I'm not immune to the funny side of the quips just saying..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

What's funny is that it's OK to quip about an individual incident in Russia but no one would joke about Allepo even though it's another geographical tragedy. I'm not immune to the funny side of the quips just saying..

Aleppo, a worn torn city torn apart by superpowers and regional forces all with different ends in mind, with of course the usual thousands of civilians being killed/murdered.

A poor woman falls into a chocolate mixer n Russia & your comparing,If the chocolate incident was not so uncommon it would not be have commented on.

As for some of the jokes, a bit of humor never killed anyone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

That's a horrific industrial accident. Nothing remotely funny about it.

Falling into a vat of hot and highly sticky liquid would be just a horrible way to go.

It sounds like a case of extremely poor health and safety standards, as such an accident shouldn't really be possible with good design.

We still see similar accidents here on farms with slurry tanks but in general you'd never see something that dangerously setup in a commercial production facility.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Falling into a vat of hot and highly sticky liquid would be just a horrible way to go.

It sounds like a case of extremely poor health and safety standards, as such an accident shouldn't really be possible with good design.

We still see similar accidents here on farms with slurry tanks but in general you'd never see something that dangerously setup in a commercial production facility.

RIP

I have to say your vivid description of hot and sticky liquid did something for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RIP

The only thing one can say with slurry gas is you are unconscious and dead before you know it, and there are devices to warn of the gas levels, and everyone involved should know of the dangers. It is warned of very regularly.

This death has everything from a horror/blood/gore movie.
    Seems she fell head first into hot molten chocolate with blades that cut her up, and one can imagine her using her hands to try to save herself and what happened there...
    It is stomach churning stuff and the people who had to get her remains out much be having nightmares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

RobertKK wrote: »
    The only thing one can say with slurry gas is you are unconscious and dead before you know it, and there are devices to warn of the gas levels, and everyone involved should know of the dangers. It is warned of very regularly.

This death has everything from a horror/blood/gore movie.
    Seems she fell head first into hot molten chocolate with blades that cut her up, and one can imagine her using her hands to try to save herself and what happened there...
    It is stomach churning stuff and the people who had to get her remains out much be having nightmares.

RIP to her, she is somewhere with gene wilder now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RIP to her, she is somewhere with gene wilder now.

...and the lack of safety in chocolate/sweet factories they were involved in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Kenneth Williams fell into something similar, possibly boiling fat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Actually some food processes are really, really dangerous from the point of view of risk of burns as the liquids involved are almost always sticky. Just because the end product is edible doesn't mean it doesn't need to be handled with extreme care during production.

Sweet production, especially involving molten sugar is an extremely dangerous process if it's not designed properly. Some absolutely horrendous injuries are possible. It's every bit as dangerous as pouring molten plastics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

If it was a Nokia she'd still be alive.

The phone would but she wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Jesus lads ease off the jokes ffs. It's not one bit funny what happened to the poor woman. You wouldn't want someone laughing if it was your wife or mother or sister.

New Politburo diktat say:
    "Nothing is funny. Do not laugh. Continue working comrades".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

learn_more wrote: »
    And it happened just before Christmas which makes the whole thing much much worse.

I know. I usually love getting killed by machinery in mid May.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Are you being Syrias?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Jesus lads ease off the jokes ffs. It's not one bit funny what happened to the poor woman. You wouldn't want someone laughing if it was your wife or mother or sister.

In fairness, if my wife, mother or sister had just been minced in a vat of molten chocolate I'd have more on my mind than strangers cracking jokes on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

If this happened in Ireland (or any other work place accident resulting in the death of someone), would there be as many jokes / would the thread get locked ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Zillah wrote: »
    The molten chocolate really seems to be incidental compared to the thrashing blades or whatever else was in there that could mince a person.
    Exactly this. Chocolate never gets that hot during manufacture or it seperates and goes hard. Pain in the hole when it happens to lengthy pipework as it has to be all replaced. Not too bad in a vessel etc as a kango hammer makes shortish work of it. Still a pain in the hole.
    Heres a link to another similar incident and they mention 120 degree (farenheit??) chocolate
    But they mention the mixing blades and i know the motors to drive them are huge AND geared down so the torque is unbelieveable.
    http://www.inquisitr.com/28621/new-jersey-man-dies-after-falling-into-vat-of-boiling-chocolate/
    Not a nice way to go. I'd be hoping his head was taken off or crushed quickly. Yuck i know but the lesser of two evils right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

spindex wrote: »
    If this happened in Ireland (or any other work place accident resulting in the death of someone), would there be as many jokes / would the thread get locked ?

Just because it happens far, far away and they're unlikely to read Boards.ie means it's ok for goms here to make wisecracks.

Advertisement