Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I cancelled Christmas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Glenster wrote: »

Their miserableness is just ruining it for everyone else who wants to be included in things.

What you are saying is that I have no right to not participate in xmas and that I have some duty to ensure the happiness of others peoples xmas. If one couldn't care less about xmas, which is my right, why would I care about others peoples xmas? It would be a really odd position to take to not care about my own xmas and at the same time care about others.
    Christmas is fabulous. I love it. I can understand that for some it can be a time of sadness but if you are an atheist, a scrooge type or looking for approval from others to show how progressive and cool you are by 'canceling' Christmas then it is your problem and you are missing out.

It makes no sense to say "I'm missing out" when I have no interest in xmas. Do you think Jews, Muslims etc are missing out on the joy of xmas too? If you are then that's a very odd opinion to have imo.
    11 days off work, pick up a few toys for the nephews and something nice for the other half, then on the 25th head over to my dad's and spend the day with the family, having a slap up meal, a few Guinness and a night cap of a couple of Irish coffees in good company.

You don't get extra days off for xmas. Your 11 days off are part of your annual leave thus you would have those days whether xmas existed or not. Except in this instance you are forced to have them in the middle of winter !
    But just moaning and grumping and opting out of Christmas and finding fault with every thing to do with it is a bit of a dreary attitude to take.

You simply can't accept then someone isn't interested in xmas, and you explain it away by saying that I'm being dreary.

I'm absolutely certain there are people out there like me who do ordinarily participate in xmas and would rather not, so I hope some of those people have seen my OP and make the same decision to do same next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭TanFlash

How old are you OP, don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

I just think it's a bit child like to get all misty eyed about Xmas. Time off work and getting to see friends and family is all I enjoy about it and I can do that any time I can take time off work. Nothing magical about it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

learn_more wrote: »
    You don't get extra days off for xmas. Your 11 days off are part of your annual leave thus you would have those days whether xmas existed or not. Except in this instance you are forced to have them in the middle of winter !

Not correct. 11 days off, 2 of them are annual leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I genuinely feel that grown adults that get absorbed in the "wonder" of Christmas is disturbing. I understand how fun it is for parents with young children, or for those that perhaps got married during the festive season, but the reality is that the bad aspects outweigh the good for the average person.

I find it incredibly ironic how the homeless crisis has become a media behemoth over the last week (as evident by two threads on the subject being among the most active currently on AH), but at the same time the commercial side of Christmas (huge viewing figures for the Late Late Toy Show) is an ever-expanding theme as well. The financial constraint on so many people this time of year is surely the polar opposite of the spirit of Christmas (whatever that is). But we have to shower our loved ones with gifts.

This year I told my family I didn't want anything for Christmas and they looked at me like I had committed an act of treason. I don't know whether that reflects badly on them or is indicative of the wider community as a whole. Why can't someone enjoy Christmas without being given presents? I would take some quality peace and quiet with the GF than anything else right now.

The loneliness too. I wonder how many people who revel in the "getting together" aspect of the holidays spare a thought for those isolated and alone? I lost a nineteen year old relative to a horrible bastard of a disease earlier this year. Her father died unexpectedly around this time years ago too. What a terrible situation for any family to go through. And there are innumerable similar scenarios in every town in the country.

So yeah, at this stage of my life the magic of Christmas has evaporated, although I will admit that it will return if I am ever lucky enough to have children.

Observation over. And I didn't even touch on how 90% of Christmas television is piss poor (consists either of cheesy, over-played movies or Christmas specials of shows that aren't near as good as a normal episode), how the day itself is invariably painfully slow and anti-climatic, how the dinner is TOO gluttonous, and how nights out during the festive period are too busy (and indeed how the inevitable homecoming of lads home that you weren't that friendly with before they left is always fake) :D

Maybe you had an unhappy childhood?

TanFlash wrote: »
    How old are you OP, don't mind me asking
    Maybe you had an unhappy childhood?

Pillow scream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I'm looking forward to the storm that is promised leading up to Christmas. It might calm people down and stay the fcuk inside.

Yeah, but that will hinder santeezz journey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

You gotta love consumerism!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Gifts are not optional. You can't rock up at an event when you feel someone is going to get you a gift and not have nothing to give in return.

Of course gifts are optional. Unless you're worried about what other people will think of you and you don't want to look like a scrooge.. But that's your problem not theirs.. You are more then entitled to arrive empty handed if that's your wish..
    Time off work and getting to see friends and family is all I enjoy about it and I can do that any time I can take time off work. Nothing magical about it at all.

That's just it though. You can't. Unless you get all your friends and family to take leave at the same time which they're unlikely to do just to please you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What? Where do you live? Are you resident in Ireland?

Because there are three public holidays in Ireland over Christmas. Allied with a handful of annual leave days easily results in an 11 or 12 day break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Roll on new year's day, that was another painful night shift. I can see why it's called silly season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

What you are saying is that I have no right to not participate in xmas and that I have some duty to ensure the happiness of others peoples xmas. If one couldn't care less about xmas, which is my right, why would I care about others peoples xmas? It would be a really odd position to take to not care about my own xmas and at the same time care about others.

It makes no sense to say "I'm missing out" when I have no interest in xmas. Do you think Jews, Muslims etc are missing out on the joy of xmas too? If you are then that's a very odd opinion to have imo.

You simply can't accept then someone isn't interested in xmas, and you explain it away by saying that I'm being dreary.

I'm absolutely certain there are people out there like me who do ordinarily participate in xmas and would rather not, so I hope some of those people have seen my OP and make the same decision to do same next year.

Haven't we established you are participating in Christmas but just the bits that don't involve you putting your hand in your pocket?

Swanner wrote: »

That's just it though. You can't. Unless you get all your friends and family to take leave at the same time which they're unlikely to do just to please you.

Sorry I didn't realise you knew my life better than me.

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    Grinches are happy to spend limited resources on a feed of pints no doubt on St. Stephen's Day.

There's something really weird about an adult constantly using the word grinch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Sorry I didn't realise you knew my life better than me.

I don't. I just made the assumption that you wouldn't normally take your leave at the same time as all of your friends and family. My apologies if you do. But would doing that not mean you're all "celebrating" Christmas ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭alig123aileen

hi I agree its a frenzy. my kids grown up so no santa anymore my family gone or have passed so I am having a 'Christmas free' Christmas. Yet the number of people in shops and pubs that say have you all your shopping done. instead of shopping and rushing i'm hopping on a plane to Seville and doing something way out of my comfort zone- learning flamenco for two days in a workshop then travelling for a week. Its just gone too far here....Adios amigos...

Chow Bella

The Raptor wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the storm that is promised leading up to Christmas. It might calm people down and stay the fcuk inside.

God is sending the storm cause I cancelled Christmas ⚡⚡⚡

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Train Dragon

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    You gotta love consumerism!

"Love" isn't the word that springs to mind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

There's something really weird about an adult constantly using the word grinch.

don't be such a scrooge, happy Christmas !

I genuinely feel that grown adults that get absorbed in the "wonder" of Christmas is disturbing. I understand how fun it is for parents with young children, or for those that perhaps got married during the festive season, but the reality is that the bad aspects outweigh the good for the average person.

I find it incredibly ironic how the homeless crisis has become a media behemoth over the last week (as evident by two threads on the subject being among the most active currently on AH), but at the same time the commercial side of Christmas (huge viewing figures for the Late Late Toy Show) is an ever-expanding theme as well. The financial constraint on so many people this time of year is surely the polar opposite of the spirit of Christmas (whatever that is). But we have to shower our loved ones with gifts.

This year I told my family I didn't want anything for Christmas and they looked at me like I had committed an act of treason. I don't know whether that reflects badly on them or is indicative of the wider community as a whole. Why can't someone enjoy Christmas without being given presents? I would take some quality peace and quiet with the GF than anything else right now.

The loneliness too. I wonder how many people who revel in the "getting together" aspect of the holidays spare a thought for those isolated and alone? I lost a nineteen year old relative to a horrible bastard of a disease earlier this year. Her father died unexpectedly around this time years ago too. What a terrible situation for any family to go through. And there are innumerable similar scenarios in every town in the country.

So yeah, at this stage of my life the magic of Christmas has evaporated, although I will admit that it will return if I am ever lucky enough to have children.

Observation over. And I didn't even touch on how 90% of Christmas television is piss poor (consists either of cheesy, over-played movies or Christmas specials of shows that aren't near as good as a normal episode), how the day itself is invariably painfully slow and anti-climatic, how the dinner is TOO gluttonous, and how nights out during the festive period are too busy (and indeed how the inevitable homecoming of lads home that you weren't that friendly with before they left is always fake) :D

Sorry to hear all that, have you tried vitamin D ? . . . it's very good for the winter blues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

I haven't logged into here in years, but I had to, you are spot on op, I agree, it's a consumer led pile of ****e as far as I'm concerned, like a big mad pause in life to indulge in overeating, overspending, overdrinking, endless list. I cannot get away from it completely as I have a family to consider, kids etc, however, I have toned it down considerably , that's as much as I can do without pissing off too many people.

Skommando wrote: »
    Sorry to hear all that, have you tried vitamin D ? . . . it's very good for the winter blues.

Vitiman D3 specifically I believe.

Vitiman D3 specifically I believe.

yeah sorry meant to say D3, very good indeed.

yeah sorry meant to say D3, very good indeed.

Ive a feeling that of all the vitamins that may be placebos that D3 tops the list. Winter does get to me too though so Im going to give it a go this week.

Ive a feeling that of all the vitamins that may be placebos that D3 tops the list. Winter does get to me too though so Im going to give it a go this week.

I was a bit skeptical, but found it very good, takes a week or two to kick in. Very popular in Scandinavia I believe.

I was a bit skeptical, but found it very good, takes a week or two to kick in. Very popular in Scandinavia I believe.

Good to hear.

It's popular there because they get even less daylight than us in Winter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Another **** trying to rob or break in.. Caught the ****....

• Advertisement

Good to hear.

It's popular there because they get even less daylight than us in Winter?

That's it, they are very tuned into it apparently, I suppose through experience , and they also empathise the importance of getting some (safe) sun when possible. You'll even see them standing in the winter sun outside offices during lunch breaks. They traditionally spend as much of Easter outdoors for that reason as well.

That's it, they are very tuned into it apparently, I suppose through experience , and they also empathise the importance of getting some (safe) sun when possible. You'll even see them standing in the winter sun outside offices during lunch breaks. They traditionally spend as much of Easter outdoors for that reason as well.

What brand of vitamin D3 are you using?

What brand of vitamin D3 are you using?

solgar, 1000 IU , 100 softgels. missus got them in the health food shop, said they were a little pricey (i don't know how much they were), but she swears by them now as well. I'm sure there's other good brands out there as well.

It's great looking at the last post and seeing how we got so off topic, we should start a post and see how far off we can go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I loved the episode of Modern Family when they cancelled Christmas. They cancelled Christmas to later realise that threat was way OTT.

We've all been there about having to carry through on a punishment on naughty kids. My 7 y.o. doesn't care about being naughty or nice. He knows he's getting coal, so it's seriously going to backfire on Christmas morning when he doesn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So serene watching all the other humans rushing around for some reason to commemorate the forthcoming mid-winter festival

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

So much for storm Barbara. It was like a spring day in the afternoon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Lidl were playing Christmas musak earlier.
    Oh Lidl, why, why?

So much "happiness" on social media today.

Better presents than I gave or definitely recieved. Loved up couples everywhere. Better food and drink then I'll have today and families that look together rather than rowing.

Yup. Next year Im deactivating all accounts for a week from December 23rd.

Bah fücking humbug is right. Roll on 9pm when Im going to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Myself and Mrs Roger decided to cancel Christmas 5 years ago and have stuck to our guns every year since. We got fed up with the not-so-merry-go-round. We told everyone we knew that we weren't doing cards or presents and didn't want any of same.
    We have found that we can actually enjoy Christmas by not doing anything. We have a few days off with no pressure or hassle. We get great enjoyment watching our friends and family rushing around like blue-ar$ed flies and getting totally frazzled.
    Of course I realise that if you have small kids you can't easily do what we've done. But, I would recommend to anyone who can, (single or couples), to just ignore the whole thing and you will have a Happy Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Miserable c****

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Roger_007 wrote: »
    We get great enjoyment watching our friends and family rushing around like blue-ar$ed flies and getting totally frazzled.

Why would you take pleasure from your family and friend's getting frazzled?? That's just weird and sad. :(

Miserable c****

Very Christmassy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

People who don't like Christmas just don't like it and get on with it. People who like to tell everyone how much they hate it and go out of their way to make a fuss about themselves when everyone else is trying to enjoy Christians are miserable c****. Attention seeking begrudgers. OP, you don't like it then screw you. Stop trying to ruin it for everyone around you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is just one day that is hyped up out of all proportion.

Some love it, some not so much.

I think a lot of people feel they have to love it to keep their parents/families happy.

Different with children around though, that's fun.

Tomorrow it is all over really, apart from the lucky ones that have lots of time off work.

Anyway, as a person who neither likes nor dislikes Christmas, I just jog on with the least possible hassle, but meet family for very short periods on the day.

There is no way that I would spend Christmas Day with anyone else apart from OH now. Spending it with a large group of family/kids for the day/night is really not what I want anymore, although I have that T shirt for sure!

Hope y'all had a good one, according to your measure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I'm reflecting and enjoying Christmas.
    I had a serious mental breakdown mid year and tried to end it all. Thankfully I was rescued from the river and got better. I'm sitting here with my family and has a wonder Christmas with friends.

when everyone else is trying to enjoy Christians

Found the priest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Best xmas I ever had was in a buddhist country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I'm reflecting and enjoying Christmas.
    I had a serious mental breakdown mid year and tried to end it all. Thankfully I was rescued from the river and got better. I'm sitting here with my family and has a wonder Christmas with friends.

That's great to here, I hope you enjoy many more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

I had a lovely day, started of in my mothers, where a large family gathering came, lots of drink & food & grandkids , Later went to my sisters for dinner where the rest of my large family followed, Must say I had a good auld time & feel quite happy, just left a while ago myself to let them party on & on & on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement