Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear Light Upgrade?

Options
  • 15-12-2016 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭

For the last two years I've been using a set of CatEye lights, HL-EL520 in the front and a 5 LED in the back. Cost about €90 and seemed to do the job. The only problem is it's only good for the first few days then it's dull for the rest of the month and I got tired of having to replace 4xAA batteries. Roads are a bit worse for wear now so I just got a Lezyne Macro Drive 800XL. It's AMAZING! Side by side the Cateye is similar to the Lezyne at 150 lumens but is more of a spot. Once the Lezyne is cranked up it illuminates the surroundings much more. It's also smaller and better looking :)

The question is, how good are rear lights? My rear light seems fine but I haven't seen a good rear light in person so it could be crap. Generally the rear is crap in comparison to the front and my front wasn't great anyway...

Is it worth upgrading to something like a Lezyne Strip Drive or Strip Drive Pro? My light is 5 LEDs so it's on the bigger side of rear lights but judging from the front Lezyne they're much stronger these days, is it the same for the rear? I know it's not all about having 1,000 lumens but being seen from behind is very important especially in built up areas/city centre where there's a fair amount of streetlights to fade out a lower powered light.

Would it be worth upgrading? I'm starting a new job soon and the industrial estate has several large roundabouts that are lit very dimly, if at all and one road on the way is unlit (about 1km, no back roads though). Side visibility seems better on newer lights.

Just wondering what people's experiences are?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

From driving in winter I've also seen some horrifically poor lights, the LED on my toaster is probably brighter than some, but I find cyclists with more than one light, set to different strobe patterns, catch the eye more than a single light.

I dont have any unlit roads on my commute, so I use 2 of these and a fluorescent strip with flashing LEDs on my bag (just an arm band opened out and velcroed to the bag) The lights are great as they're USB so I charge them every few days in work, dont need to worry about batteries.

The thing is, and it could be confirmation bias, but I've also found I've gotten more clearance from drivers since adding more lights, so quantity over quality, to a certain extent. The lights above are decent, but nothing you're not gonna see them from space or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

DaveyDave wrote: »
    ...Is it worth upgrading to something like a Lezyne Strip Drive or Strip Drive Pro? ....
    I got a Lezyne Strip Drive Pro last week. Probably a bit early to review it properly yet but it has its pro's and con's. The day time flash is very bright - if using at night on an unlit road, you can see it flashing while looking forward. More of a commuting light than a long ride light as most of the 9 settings last less than 4 hours on a full charge. The rubber strap makes it easy to move or transfer between bikes but I'm wondering if it will eventually get brittle and break. Charges reasonably quickly - about 2 hours on a wall socket.

No harm in using a second light on your helmet/backpack if you're concerned about being seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I find a Smart Lunar R2 set to steady is just fine, but since I got the cargo bike, which has a rear reflector with a built-in light, I find that mounting the R2 sideways just under the reflector has the effect of looking like quite a big light when both are set to steady. I might get a rear reflector with built-in light for my general utility bike too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

The blaze burner is a great back light, I got a front and back a few weeks ago.
    They use them now on all the london bikes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/embrooke/the-blaze-burner-the-best-back-light-for-bikes

Works out about €43 per light, however it took a while to deliver (about 4 weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Like Wishbone also using the Lezyne Strip Pro but for a few months now. I'd say i get around 4 hours out of the brightest 150lmn mode. Seems like a massive output for a rear light but does make me feel safer using it!

No cables required to charge it. It plugs straight into a usb slot.

The rubber attaching strap has shown no sign of wear. It gets my vote!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭septern

I got an EXPOSURE TRACE set on chain reaction and i love them.
    Very bright, last a long time, USB chargable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

My rear light:
    I highly recommended it!

http://www.hopetech.com/product/district-plus-rear/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Alanbt

septern wrote: »
    I got an EXPOSURE TRACE set on chain reaction and i love them.
    Very bright, last a long time, USB chargable

I use this attached to saddle rail, plus the Lezyne strip drive pro. One on steady, other on flash.
    Might be overkill (unless get them on sale) but rather safe(r) than sorry

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I got a Lezyne Strip Drive Pro last week. Probably a bit early to review it properly yet but it has its pro's and con's. The day time flash is very bright - if using at night on an unlit road, you can see it flashing while looking forward. More of a commuting light than a long ride light as most of the 9 settings last less than 4 hours on a full charge. The rubber strap makes it easy to move or transfer between bikes but I'm wondering if it will eventually get brittle and break. Charges reasonably quickly - about 2 hours on a wall socket.

No harm in using a second light on your helmet/backpack if you're concerned about being seen.

I have had the above for last winter and only stopped using in the summner when I lost the USB cap and got it wet. No issues with the rubber that I could see after 9 odd months of use

• Registered Users Posts: 7 marvin123

The Moon Shield 60 is worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

marvin123 wrote: »
    The Moon Shield 60 is worth a look.

I've the same light for a couple of years. Recommend it. rubber strap means it's easy to swap bikes, usb charged, solid and waterproof. £23 on Amazon at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have a Lezyn Microdrive for the rear and it's great kicks out an intense slow flashing red light that's very very visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

Another vote for the Lezyne Micro drive rear light.

I use it for commuting and the difference between it and lights that other commuters use is (pardon the pun) night and day. Some cyclists have rear lights that are practically useless. Modern USB chargeable lights dont fade as the battery dies. I have a Lezyne Macro front light and both last a few days and I can re-charge in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

See Sense ftw and to get noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Had a Knog blinder road which was excellent, but was of the original variety and had straps that were probe to snapping, meaning under warranty replacements every 6mo. I understand the newest iteration doesn't have the same issue though.

I did change to the very bright 250lm version of the seesense icon when it came up on kick-starter - its a fricken awesome light, would absolutely recommend as a give-no-option-but-to-see-you rear light.

I found both have seen drivers give a wider berth when overtaking, but I suspect it's almost a matter of self preservation; approaching close in the dark and looking at those lights up close has to be uncomfortable. Both do have lower intensity settings if retina scarring isn't your goal or if riding with other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Inquitus wrote: »
    I have a Lezyn Microdrive for the rear and it's great kicks out an intense slow flashing red light that's very very visible.
    mh_cork wrote: »
    Another vote for the Lezyne Micro drive rear light..
    One real advantage of those lights is that they seem to be more visible at a long range but not annoying up close in a group ride. A few lads in the club have them and, when riding to the start, I often see the their light clearly ahead a long way off in the distance (1-2kms) yet perfectly fine to ride behind without changing the setting when we set off in a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Thanks for all the responses guys, whatever light I do get (most likely a Lezyne to match :P) I'll most likely keep the current light I have. It might go on the back of the helmet as the Cateye mount is flexible. I like the idea of one on constant and one flashing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Would the below be a good set to pick up or would people recommend a better front light?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/lezyne-macro-drive-800xl-strip-pro-light-set/rp-prod152255

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Would the below be a good set to pick up or would people recommend a better front light?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/lezyne-macro-drive-800xl-strip-pro-light-set/rp-prod152255

The Macro Drive is very good, I have the bigger one the Deca Drive and it's good enough for riding through Wicklow on a moonless night.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

That light is more than adequate for a commute. I use the Lezyne 400 on the third highest setting for city commute, so probably 100-150 lumen. The front light would also be ok for unlit roads, but you would want to look at the run-time on max setting (typically 60-90 minutes).

• Advertisement
Advertisement