Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killer Robots

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Fathom wrote: »
    Elon Musk calls for ban on killer robots before ‘weapons of terror’ are unleashed.
    I can not take him very seriously anyway to be honest, can you see the likes of China taking any interest in him?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Rubecula wrote: »
    I can not take him very seriously anyway to be honest, can you see the likes of China taking any interest in him?
    His public expressions lately have been different. Plus the flame thrower sales were odd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

His public expressions lately have been different. Plus the flame thrower sales were odd.

Promises never to make killer robots.

Black Swan wrote: »
    Promises never to make killer robots.

anyone can convert them all you need to do is make them capable of pulling a trigger.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

anyone can convert them all you need to do is make them capable of pulling a trigger.....
    Robotics expands. Someday THEY will shake your hand. Pull trigger too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

An "anatomically correct" Scarlett Johansson robot. A bit slow, mechanical, and no way ready for a 1st date, but in 10 to 20 years? Will she pack a pistol in her night bag to fend off robbers? Master taekwondo in the time it takes to download programme? Or play the role of Red Sparrow in the next political game?

5 Most Beautiful LifeLike Robots Ever Created.

Soft robotics a rapidly developing field.

An "anatomically correct" Scarlett Johansson robot. A bit slow, mechanical, and no way ready for a 1st date, but in 10 to 20 years? Will she pack a pistol in her night bag to fend off robbers? Master taekwondo in the time it takes to download programme? Or play the role of Red Sparrow in the next political game?

5 Most Beautiful LifeLike Robots Ever Created.

Soft robotics a rapidly developing field.

I may be alone in this, but there was nothing beautiful about them at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Uncanny Valley.

In a couple decades of R&D?

In a couple decades of R&D?
    Will female gender androids be more prolific than male?

• Advertisement

Will female gender androids be more prolific than male?

almost certainly

almost certainly
    Why?

gender specific weirdo stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Why?
    You need to ask?

gender specific weirdo stuff
    Not legions of male killer robots as in Star Wars?

they are clones not robots lol
    but point taken on that score. sadly I can not equate gender with machinery for some reason no matter what it looks like.

they are clones not robots lol
    but point taken on that score. sadly I can not equate gender with machinery for some reason no matter what it looks like.

Androids are the future methinks, rather than clones. Read a treading article about living forever by transferring all that is stored in the brain to a future AI robot. Scary!

I ould have thought cyborgs not androids myself, cyborgs are in reality already here.

I ould have thought cyborgs not androids myself, cyborgs are in reality already here.
    Perhaps. Then again, a shiny new soft robotics body with AI is new, unlike the ageing parts that we humans all encounter, even if having some of those parts replaced overtime.

constant replacements and upgrades may lead to a robotic person you mean?

• Advertisement

constant replacements and upgrades may lead to a robotic person you mean?
    Indeed. So why not start off with everything shiny new? Soft robotics is advancing quickly, and someday it may produce Blade Runner androids that cannot be easily differentiated from their human counterparts. Oops, sorry for the pun.

Indeed. So why not start off with everything shiny new? Soft robotics is advancing quickly, and someday it may produce Blade Runner androids that cannot be easily differentiated from their human counterparts. Oops, sorry for the pun.

I see cyborgs as evolution and androids as revolution I think. at least it seems that I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Androids are the future methinks, rather than clones. Read a treading article about living forever by transferring all that is stored in the brain to a future AI robot. Scary!
    That's only a sci-fi idea currently though, there's no indications from real science that it's remotely possible. Non-destructive scanning of neural tissue seems incredibly difficult, I'm not even aware of it being theoretical viable for any substance outside simple polymers.

Fourier wrote: »
    That's only a sci-fi idea currently though, there's no indications from real science that it's remotely possible. Non-destructive scanning of neural tissue seems incredibly difficult, I'm not even aware of it being theoretical viable for any substance outside simple polymers.

Universities about the world are funded and advancing AI and soft robotics at an impressive pace. You might want to review some of the following scholarly sources?
    • Fumiya Iidaa and Cecilia Laschi (2011), Soft Robotics: Challenges and Perspectives, Procedia Computer Science, Volume 7, 2011, Pages 99-102.
    • Rolf Pfeifer, Rolf Pfeifer, and Fumiya Iidaa (2012), The challenges ahead for bio-inspired 'soft' robotics, Communications of the ACM, Volume 55 Issue 11, Pages 76-87.
    • Carmel Majidi (2014), Soft Robotics: A Perspective—Current Trends and Prospects for the Future, Soft Robotics VOL. 1, NO. 1.
    • Cecilia Laschi and Matteo Cianchetti (2014), Soft robotics: new perspectives for robot bodyware and control, Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, published online.
    And a very readable magazine:
    • Matt Simon, The WIRED Guide to Robots: Everything you wanted to know about soft, hard, and nonmurderous automatons, WIRED 17 May 2018.

When you say "all that is stored in the brain", do you mean the brain itself or the information?

Deep reinforcement learning of declarative and procedural knowledge as a path to artificial general intelligence in terms of how it mirrors human learning by exploring and receiving feedback from environment. Today's baby steps. Expanding not linearly, rather geometrically, with rapid and astounding developments occurring in the next couple decades integrating AGI with soft robotics and human interaction.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Read a treading article about living forever by transferring all that is stored in the brain to a future AI robot. Scary!
    Like the argument for teleportation. What you get is a copy of the original. Something that behaves like you and has your memories. But you die.

Also
    The European Parliament has passed a resolution calling for an international ban on so-called killer robots.

Killer robots prevail.
    But some countries - including Israel, Russia, South Korea and the US - opposed new measures at the August meeting, saying that they wanted to explore potential "advantages" from autonomous weapons systems.

Deep reinforcement learning of declarative and procedural knowledge as a path to artificial general intelligence in terms of how it mirrors human learning by exploring and receiving feedback from environment. Today's baby steps. Expanding not linearly, rather geometrically, with rapid and astounding developments occurring in the next couple decades integrating AGI with soft robotics and human interaction.
    Sorry I still don't understand. I know a bit about soft robotics, but I don't know of anything like the above that would allow transference. It wasn't clear from the papers above either. :o

• Advertisement

Fourier wrote: »
    Sorry I still don't understand. I know a bit about soft robotics, but I don't know of anything like the above that would allow transference. It wasn't clear from the papers above either. :o
    We may be addressing 2 or more things, and treating them as one? The treading article mentioned above (brain living forever) was a different topic from other posts that spoke to the rapid development of human-like robots (beautiful, etc.). Sorry for the confusion.

Advertisement