Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New kitten

• 15-12-2016 9:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been offered a kitten and am just looking for a little advice. We have had cats before but always older cats. This kitten is maybe 12-14 weeks old and lives outdoors on a farm with its mother and siblings. I don't think it has had any injections etc.

We live in an urban area and the kitten will be indoors. It will be left at home during the day from 9 - 5 but most days I could pop home at lunchtime.

Is this a good idea? Will it need litter tray training? Obviously if I do take it I will be straight to the vet to get it the once over. There might be a possibility of getting a second kitten which I think might be a better idea to keep each other company.

Any advice very welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Will not need litter training but I'd recommend considering taking two kittens instead because they will keep each other entertained when you're not home that way. Make sure you got suitable scratching posts and keep in mind for a kitten that age a toilet in the next room might as well be in Australia in terms of making it when they need to go. Hence leave them in 1 room with a toilet, food and water when you're not there (and expect the food and water to be spilled out when they romp around). In terms of toys ping pong balls are great as they are light but any non cat nip toys will do.

Secondly make sure to pet them a lot when they eat (they are most likely not used to human touch so you're unlikely to be able to lift them up from the start) and simply be in the room reading etc. for them to get used to you (and ideally other people as well) and enjoy the crazy furball with claws stage :)

Advertisement