Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode Required

Options
  • 15-12-2016 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

I thought that I had all the I's dotted and T's crossed in my firearm renewal application. Duly dropped off said application form in the post box of Garda Station. Some hours later a phone call from the Garda at the station asking for the Eircode, as this is now "needed" for all applications. Anyway, two days later a letter arrived acknowledging receipt of firearm application, no Eircode on the envelope or the letter inside it ! So I am assuming that the Eircode is really only so that the Garda can now pinpoint the address where the firearms are kept. Nothing wrong with that, so long as their computer system is not hacked.

So the Eircode is now needed for all applications. Just giving you all the heads up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I got a licence two weeks ago and didn't have to provide an eircode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I thought the eircode was one if those daft government brainwaves that had fallen by the wayside ? I haven't a clue what mine is and seem to manage find without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Nah, it's not gone by the wayside at all, and in fact it's actually turned into a pretty decent system - full integration with google maps now and all.

I use them all the time when I'm heading out to people, urban and rural, saves an aweful lot of the standard nonesense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Snipe23

Had the same issue with a renewal fo phoned me for my air code, he said I must submit same in future for all fac applications and renewals.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

They seem to have missed a point that the use of Eircode is voulentarily and there is no legal requirement to do so.

From the eircode website

No government department is making Eircode mandatory, although they may ask you for an Eircode, you are not obligated to provide it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

extremetaz wrote: »
    Nah, it's not gone by the wayside at all, and in fact it's actually turned into a pretty decent system - full integration with google maps now and all.

I use them all the time when I'm heading out to people, urban and rural, saves an aweful lot of the standard nonesense.

Still don't work when you type them into google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

In theory it means they can look up your exact address location and also ensure they don't issue multiple licences to different versions of the same address.

There's a genuine problem with Irish addresses where you get

Anne Other
    The House
    Ballymctownland
    Big town
    Co. Galway

Áine NiOtheach
    Baile Mac Bhaile
    Different Big Town
    Co. Galway

12 Fake Park
    Stillorgan
    Co. Dublin

12 Fake Street
    Foxrock
    Co Dublin

Or Dublin 18 or Leopardstown etc etc etc

You'll often have multiple versions of the same address.

Eircode at least narrows it to one specific address.

It actually does work pretty impressively on Google maps. Typing Eircodes in a Google search won't work. You need to use maps.google.com or the phone app

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Still don't work when you type them into google.

That's not been my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 34,970 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's not been my experience

Just tried mine in Googlemaps now and it located it perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Eircode at least narrows it to one specific address.
    You'd think, but there are enough cases of it getting the wrong address that all the major couriers refused to support it and the emergency services publicly tore strips off them for suggesting that it was vital for the emergency services.

Basically, it's a database of everyone's name and address that a private company has. It's not run by the state, it's run by some lads out of a business park in Maynooth. Why the hell it ever got chosen I don't know, but if some Haughey-level shenanigans turn up at the heel of it, I wouldn't be shocked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Never had to supply it, yet.
    ............. and in fact it's actually turned into a pretty decent system ............
    Saved me a lot of headaches recently.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Just tried mine in Googlemaps now and it located it perfectly.
    Same as that.
    Sparks wrote: »
    You'd think, but there are enough cases of it getting the wrong address that all the major couriers refused to support it ..........................
    I have used it recently where a company could not identify my address and the addition of the eircode has eliminated any problems. In fact one or two couriers told me if i only use the eircode that is all they need.

In one such instance a delivery could not be made. I went into my details on the site, added the eircode and the order went through. Three days later my package arrives.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭outinthefields

used it recently to find a house in the back end of creation, the owner gave it to me instead of a lot of directions. put it in the satnav and bingo. heres the link to find your code. or any other address you want to find.

https://finder.eircode.ie/#/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

I reckon its a very good system, but the problem is the muppets who are managing it. It should have been made compulsory for every single item going in the post, without exception but it wasn't so the result was from Day 1 people just saw it as more hastle, something else that would never catch on etc. Even now they could make an announcement to make it compulsory from XYZ date, but for some reason they are not doing it and instead continue to put the Eircode system at risk of joining the under water clock that was temporarily in the Liffey, or the infamous voting machines etc.

Strange is the amount of places across Ireland (public sector and private) that can't cope with the new postal codes - they can input something like Dublin 24 via a drop down menu, but can't put in the 7 digit Eircode because of the way their systems have been designed. Also strange is dealing with some of the UK online stores who are set up for 7 digit postcodes but when you try to input an Irish one their systems refuse to recognise them (despite being geared up to ship to Ireland etc.).

Thanks,

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

It'll take a while for systems to adapt.

As for UK companies ... I don't know how many times I've had issues with them being unable to process anything foreign.

They've issues with American zip codes, French Code Postale, Cansdian codes etc

Eircode published a very clear spec for how the codes are structured this and there's nothing they can really do about UK or other overseas companies not bothering to implement it.

I still encounter US systems that can't handle phone numbers other than in (XXX) YXX-XXXX format.

If Eircode is useful, it'll be adopted by Irish companies and it'll just take a whole for software being used abroad to eventually figure out that they exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

I put in an application a week or so ago, the firearm officer called me back looking for my code, I knew it and could tell him then and theee.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭g00167015

Eircode has saved me god knows how much time in not having to explain our ar_seways location to couriers etc etc!

Great job for our neck of the woods!

As for it being "required" by your Sup't............. eircode is a voluntary system so everyone might not have taken it up.

More importantly, it is not for the Sup't to say what is required or not required. An Act of the Oireachtas or a Statutory Instrument is all that matters in terms of telling folks what is required.

Members of AGS are not entitled to compose their own individual pieces of Statute, that is solely the function of Parliament.

Advertisement