Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny City - areas to avoid if buying

Options
  • 15-12-2016 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if there are areas to avoid. We have been looking close to the centre, old style houses etc and it seems nice enough, would appreciate your thoughts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Personally I'd avoid anything that's not an 15-20 min walk to high street so that gives you plenty of scope.

An area I think you should seriously consider for a doer upper is Riverside drive or Larchfield.

You can get neighbours from hell in any estate or street so it's pointless I target any one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

It depends what you're looking for in terms of a house and area? Are you young, old, have kids, posh? :D

It depends what you're looking for in terms of a house and area? Are you young, old, have kids, posh? :D

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Retired, no kids. Want somewhere walking distance of the city. Would like an older style house (older ex council style house would be fine), 3 beds max, not posh but certainly don't want a rough area etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Retired, no kids. Want somewhere walking distance of the city. Would like an older style house (older ex council style house would be fine), 3 beds max, not posh but certainly don't want a rough area etc.

There's and old house for sale in Bishop's hill, no garden, on street parking but a really short walk into town and I don't think it'd cost much either.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Only thing is we don't want one that we would have to spend a fortune on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There's new houses going up in Greenshill also, it's about 15 min walk from Dunne's. I think they're pricey enough though.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

There's good options around so. As I said riverside, sycamores, Aylesbury for semis and detached doer upers.
    Francis tce and that area are really close to town and are goods potential for your needs.

catbear wrote: »
    There's good options around so. As I said riverside, sycamores, Aylesbury for semis and detached doer upers.
    Francis tce and that area are really close to town and are goods potential for your needs.

Francis Terrace looks interesting, any further info on this area?

What are the Ochard and Fairways areas like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Very nice area, mostly older residents who've lived there for years.

• Advertisement

What are the Ochard and Fairways areas like?
    These are mature areas now, when I was kid in the 70s there would have been clatters of kids coming out of each house and some tough nuts around but it's all very comfortable now. Same goes for Fatima place an Teresas tce. My only no go would be being directly on the Kennyswell road as the traffic can be a bit noisy. These are all excellent for a short walk to the centre and as they've a much older demographic there should be a few on the market regularly.

Fairways are decent houses although having lived up that way before I'd give up a driveway and choose somewhere closer to the centre. Don't know about the Orchard.

These are mature areas now, when I was kid in the 70s there would have been clatters of kids coming out of each house and some tough nuts around but it's all very comfortable now. Same goes for Fatima place an Teresas tce. My only no go would be being directly on the Kennyswell road as the traffic can be a bit noisy. These are all excellent for a short walk to the centre and as they've a much older demographic there should be a few on the market regularly.

Fairways are decent houses although having lived up that way before I'd give up a driveway and choose somewhere closer to the centre. Don't know about the Orchard.

Thank you so so much for your input. Its very hard when you don't know somewhere other than to visit.

Thank you so so much for your input. Its very hard when you don't know somewhere other than to visit.
    One other thing you should know as an outsider is the Dublin Coach services to Dublin and the airport so being within easy walking distance of their stops is a real boon. Check dublincoach.ie for where their stops are in Kilkenny.

One other thing you should know as an outsider is the Dublin Coach services to Dublin and the airport so being within easy walking distance of their stops is a real boon. Check dublincoach.ie for where their stops are in Kilkenny.

Excellent, very good to know.

On Fairways... its says its a 15 min walk to town? is it not a nice walk or is it not nice up that way? the houses look good value.

On Fairways... its says its a 15 min walk to town? is it not a nice walk or is it not nice up that way? the houses look good value.
    It's alright walking into town all though I'd probably call it more like 25/30 walk to high street. There's an Lidl nearby which is really handy but if you're going for fairway size houses then also look at Clongowen on the Waterford road, far better served by amenities on that side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You gave up on east Cork then?

It's alright walking into town all though I'd probably call it more like 25/30 walk to high street. There's an Lidl nearby which is really handy but if you're going for fairway size houses then also look at Clongowen on the Waterford road, far better served by amenities on that side of town.

No its not really the size of the house a smaller one would be fine, its just the houses in Fairway looked really nice and well made.

mordeith wrote: »
    You gave up on east Cork then?

Gosh yes, thanks for remembering me. After looking at lots of places we have decided on Kilkenny city, its a gem of a place, spent a fair bit of time there in the Summer and also in November and loved it!... now just trying to find a house!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Gosh yes, thanks for remembering me. After looking at lots of places we have decided on Kilkenny city, its a gem of a place, spent a fair bit of time there in the Summer and also in November and loved it!... now just trying to find a house!

It's a nice place alright. I've visited a good few times and been on the odd stag night there well. Always had a good time. A friend of mine lives around the hospital and it seems a nice quiet area.

• Advertisement

No its not really the size of the house a smaller one would be fine, its just the houses in Fairway looked really nice and well made.
    They are well made and comfy. Some of the estates nearby built in the decade after aren't as well constructed from what I've seen and heard of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Abandoned the Wexford idea too I see :)

I've lived in Kilkenny 'City' a few years myself, you're making a good move

Abandoned the Wexford idea too I see :)

I've lived in Kilkenny 'City' a few years myself, you're making a good move

Ah yes, we did spend a few days in Wexford Town in Sept. I really loved it, great atmosphere and I would have no problem moving there but hubby liked KK better and I can't argue either KK is a gem.

They are well made and comfy. Some of the estates nearby built in the decade after aren't as well constructed from what I've seen and heard of them.

Thanks.... I take on board what you say about the walk to the city though, we might be better waiting until some more nearer the city come on the market in the new year.

Here's a Doer-upper http://www.daft.ie/kilkenny/houses-for-sale/kilkenny/no-31-francis-terrace-kilkenny-kilkenny-1325998/

And a walker-inner http://www.daft.ie/kilkenny/houses-for-sale/kilkenny/42-st-francis-terrace-kilkenny-kilkenny-1358178/

Father in law lives here and it's a nice quiet area with no trouble, a cul-de-sac too so no through traffic.

Comerman wrote: »
    Here's a Doer-upper http://www.daft.ie/kilkenny/houses-for-sale/kilkenny/no-31-francis-terrace-kilkenny-kilkenny-1325998/

And a walker-inner http://www.daft.ie/kilkenny/houses-for-sale/kilkenny/42-st-francis-terrace-kilkenny-kilkenny-1358178/

Father in law lives here and it's a nice quiet area with no trouble, a cul-de-sac too so no through traffic.

Thanks so much. We have looked at them on Daft. The doer upper needs tons of work but we like the other one, the only down side is the kitchen is tiny.

What do you think of the prices, are they a bit over priced?

Thanks so much. We have looked at them on Daft. The doer upper needs tons of work but we like the other one, the only down side is the kitchen is tiny.

What do you think of the prices, are they a bit over priced?
    Probably a bit over priced but that could to give leeway for offers. Kitchens are small in those houses alright, most have built on at the back I'd reckon.

Comerman wrote: »
    Probably a bit over priced but that could to give leeway for offers. Kitchens are small in those houses alright, most have built on at the back I'd reckon.
    Speaking of which some of them have very long back gardens, many have built garages at the end of their lots.

The thing is neither of us are bothered with gardening which is a shame. If we were to pay say 190 we would not have enough money left to build an extension so its a bit of a problem, sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The thing is neither of us are bothered with gardening which is a shame. If we were to pay say 190 we would not have enough money left to build an extension so its a bit of a problem, sadly.

190 is a small enough budget for Kilkenny really I would say. Mainly apartments, duplexes and older terraced housing below that level.

Advertisement