Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny City - areas to avoid if buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

road_high wrote: »
    190 is a small enough budget for Kilkenny really I would say. Mainly apartments, duplexes and older terraced housing below that level.

Its really an older style terrace we want but one that is in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Zelda247 wrote: »

Might get something middle of the road but they tend to be snapped up when they do come up. You've picked one of the more expensive places to live outside of Dublin but welcome and hope you get sorted.
    Your money would go A LOT further in Wexford as you mentioned earlier.

Might get something middle of the road but they tend to be snapped up when they do come up. You've picked one of the more expensive places to live outside of Dublin but welcome and hope you get sorted.
    Your money would go A LOT further in Wexford as you mentioned earlier.

I know but hey we have got to try. There are a few around in our price range but might end up having to go a fair bit further than the centre, we could probably stretch to 200k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Well also close to town is Wolfetone street, single story terrace but some have converted attics I believe. Any of them away from the junction of the new bridge would be probably suit perfectly, no problem with permit parking etc..
    Michael street might be too expensive now but that's a lovely terrace.

Another potential is St Fiacres place, lovely little gem of a neighbourhood, very close to the park and it seems to have had a good variation in asking prices in the last two years. Worth watching.

Also Maudlin street might yield something although I believe parking can be an issue too with it being close to Langtons.

catbear wrote: »
    Well also close to town is Wolfetone street, single story terrace but some have converted attics I believe. Any of them away from the junction of the new bridge would be probably suit perfectly, no problem with permit parking etc..
    Michael street might be too expensive now but that's a lovely terrace.

Another potential is St Fiacres place, lovely little gem of a neighbourhood, very close to the park and it seems to have had a good variation in asking prices in the last two years. Worth watching.

Also Maudlin street might yield something although I believe parking can be an issue too with it being close to Langtons.

Thank you so much, very helpful indeed. I have noted names.

• Advertisement

Can anyone help with Bishop Birch Place? a property has come on the market in that area?

Lot of my wife's family live round there, not the nicest part of town so should expect to pay less but there are some lovely people there. Historical subsidence round there too according to the missus (I have no evidence to back this up!)

I might pass on that then, thanks so much.

Another one i overlooked is assumption place. The only negative is match traffic around Nolan park but very close for walking everywhere.

All the places I mentioned I'd be happy to live in with a house in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Can anyone help with Bishop Birch Place? a property has come on the market in that area?

Ok. Can't take this seriously any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

When I read page 1 I was waiting for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Does it have to be city centre? Could you perhaps move out a little further

Another one i overlooked is assumption place. The only negative is match traffic around Nolan park but very close for walking everywhere.

All the places I mentioned I'd be happy to live in with a house in good condition.

Thanks you have been very helpful, really appreciate it.

Autosport wrote: »
    Does it have to be city centre? Could you perhaps move out a little further

Within 20 mins walking would be o.k. but the nearer the better to the centre, my husband is not able to walk distances as he has artificial limbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Within 20 mins walking would be o.k. but the nearer the better to the centre, my husband is not able to walk distances as he has artificial limbs.

Not a great time to be buying in Kilkenny city.Houses are scarce and prices are only heading upwards.A semi-detached in ashfield east has a price of €205k on it.That's back to the original boom time price it had in 2005 when they were first sold.It's still a 25-30 min walk into town from out there.
    When I see a house in bishop birch place listed at €165k I think that the madness is slowly creeping back.
    Having read what you are looking for my advice would be hold tight.
    Keep an eye out for the older estates nearer town such as Fatima place,Father Albert place,Dean cavanagh place,Fiachres place.The original larchfield estate or the older estates in loughboy such as ardnore.
    I've seen some listed from there in the past year.Some were doer-upper's at reasonable money.

Good luck with your search.

stratowide wrote: »
    Not a great time to be buying in Kilkenny city.Houses are scarce and prices are only heading upwards.A semi-detached in ashfield east has a price of €205k on it.That's back to the original boom time price it had in 2005 when they were first sold.It's still a 25-30 min walk into town from out there.
    When I see a house in bishop birch place listed at €165k I think that the madness is slowly creeping back.
    Keep an eye out for the older estates nearer town such as Fatima place,Father Albert place,Dean cavanagh place,Fiachres place.The original larchfield estate or the older estates in loughboy such as ardnore.
    I've seen some listed from there in the past year.Some were doer-upper's at reasonable money.

Thank you so much. I know its a tall order but hopefully we will get there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I believe that the prices are mad now but at the same time the counter argument to waiting is... what's going to change? There's v little supply coming on in Kilkenny but there's a built up demand of people looking to purchase that are fighting against each other for a v limited supply of houses.

I believe that the prices are mad now but at the same time the counter argument to waiting is... what's going to change? There's v little supply coming on in Kilkenny but there's a built up demand of people looking to purchase that are fighting against each other for a v limited supply of houses.
    Demographics is going to play a huge part in the market in the next few years. For example I know a street in a mature estate of detached houses where there's five houses in a row whose first owners are all nursing home candidates. And then on the same street there's as many houses empty as theyre unsettled estates. Its a numbers game.

I am finding it very worrying but I have to hold firm and hope for the best as we panicked a couple of years ago and ended up in Kerry which neither of us like so I hope we can stand firm, keep hopeful and get somewhere in a place were we would like to live. As I said there is only 2 of us and we don't get many visitors so a small place would be fine, we don't mind doing it up a bit either but not a total refurbishment. My husband likes the look of the houses on the outskirts like Orchard and Fairways but again he would never be able to walk to town from there, bless him.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

I am finding it very worrying but I have to hold firm and hope for the best as we panicked a couple of years ago and ended up in Kerry which neither of us like so I hope we can stand firm, keep hopeful and get somewhere in a place were we would like to live. As I said there is only 2 of us and we don't get many visitors so a small place would be fine, we don't mind doing it up a bit either but not a total refurbishment. My husband likes the look of the houses on the outskirts like Orchard and Fairways but again he would never be able to walk to town from there, bless him.

Well you have an advantage straight away of being just the two of you.You would be bidding on smaller properties that would not suit families.
    Wolfe tone street would be ideal for you.
    If you havent already done so,set up a daft.ie and myhome.ie email alert.
    I did this when buying a few years back.Kept me ahead of the posse..!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Demographics is going to play a huge part in the market in the next few years. For example I know a street in a mature estate of detached houses where there's five houses in a row whose first owners are all nursing home candidates. And then on the same street there's as many houses empty as theyre unsettled estates. Its a numbers game.

My street is like that, we've had quite a few deaths in the last year, three off the top of my head. One of those houses went up for sale this week, actually.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

My street is like that, we've had quite a few deaths in the last year, three off the top of my head. One of those houses went up for sale this week, actually.
    Yeah, all the estates that were built in the 60s ad 70s are seeing their first owners die of now. it's actually the same right throughout the country.

A friend took me around his neighbourhood in south Dublin and it was exactly the same story.

Well you have an advantage straight away of being just the two of you.You would be bidding on smaller properties that would not suit families.
    Wolfe tone street would be ideal for you.
    If you havent already done so,set up a daft.ie and myhome.ie email alert.
    I did this when buying a few years back.Kept me ahead of the posse..!

Ah thanks so much you have cheered me up! I have set up a thing on Daft etc so hopefully something will come in the new year.

We have our house sold to a relative so we are cash buyers (this probably does not make a difference) and can move quickly.

Yeah, all the estates that were built in the 60s ad 70s are seeing their first owners die of now. it's actually the same right throughout the country.

A friend took me around his neighbourhood in south Dublin and it was exactly the same story.

Oh God sounds awful.... mind you we are no spring chickens either, my husband is 69 and I am 58!

What's wrong with Kerry? I'd have thought that s retirees dream?

Nothing wrong with Kerry, lovely place, lovely people but just not settled here, miss being nearer Dublin.

Nothing wrong with Kerry, lovely place, lovely people but just not settled here, miss being nearer Dublin.

Ah right I understand. I used spend time there too and you are very cut off from the rest of the country. Have you family in Dublin?

Yeh and friends, I am originally from Dublin but like a lot of people I can't afford to buy there. When we go up to Dublin from Kerry it takes us almost a day, we have to get the bus into Killarney then train to Mallow then change to Cork train. Whereas if we lived in KK we would only have 1 short train journey.

Yeh and friends, I am originally from Dublin but like a lot of people I can't afford to buy there. When we go up to Dublin from Kerry it takes us almost a day, we have to get the bus into Killarney then train to Mallow then change to Cork train. Whereas if we lived in KK we would only have 1 short train journey.

Good choice. Train is 90 mins, direct buses similar. You have several public transport choices per hour really.

Can only see them going one way either. There's a large pent up demand locally and also strong outside attraction, particularly from Dublin, with people wanting to move to Kilkenny.
    Price growth, rent increases have been some of the strongest in Leinster.

• Advertisement

Price growth, rent increases have been some of the strongest in Leinster.
    Just bare in mind sellers are under no pressure to sell empty houses when prices are on the up, in fact it's more reason to hoard for longer. The real reduction in vacancy rates happened during the bust as property hoarders needed to sell out.

According the recent census the vacancy rate for Kilkenny county is 9%, excluding holiday homes, the national average is 12.8%.
    See here:http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cpr/censusofpopulation2016-preliminaryresults/housing/

House prices peaked at auction in Dublin in 2006 but Kilkenny prices continued to rise into 2008. See link..http://www.ronanlyons.com/2008/12/04/brrr-sure-tis-cold-in-sligo-a-heat-map-of-irelands-property-prices-since-early-2007/

Make of all that what you may but I'm far from convinced that there's a real housing shortage, just a shortage for houses for sale.

Advertisement