Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny City - areas to avoid if buying

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

catbear wrote: »
    Just bare in mind sellers are under no pressure to sell empty houses when prices are on the up, in fact it's more reason to hoard for longer. The real reduction in vacancy rates happened during the bust as property hoarders needed to sell out.

According the recent census the vacancy rate for Kilkenny county is 9%, excluding holiday homes, the national average is 12.8%.
    See here:http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cpr/censusofpopulation2016-preliminaryresults/housing/

House prices peaked at auction in Dublin in 2006 but Kilkenny prices continued to rise into 2008. See link..http://www.ronanlyons.com/2008/12/04/brrr-sure-tis-cold-in-sligo-a-heat-map-of-irelands-property-prices-since-early-2007/

Make of all that what you may but I'm far from convinced that there's a real housing shortage, just a shortage for houses for sale.

Which is effectively the same thing if people that need then can't for whatever reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

road_high wrote: »
    Which is effectively the same thing if people that need then can't for whatever reason.
    My point is that the current upward trajectory in prices and demand are not dissimilar to what happened in the last decade, especially when you consider that Kilkenny ended up with comparably few ghost estates.

There will be top out in the Dublin market as multiple develops started in the last few years finally catch up with demand and secondly, the demographic trend towards more first time owner/occupier from the 60/70s shuffling into care or st kierans cemetery will only increase.

ireland-population-pyramid-2014.gif

The bulge in the 30-39 year old group were the demand that turbo charged the property bubble, there won't be another such real demand driver for another decade at least. I don't think we'll anything like the falls of the last bust but I do envisage a cooling in Kilkenny once Dublin has peaked again.

Advertisement