Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Viking Marathon - 24th June 2017

Options
  • 15-12-2016 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Brand new route for the Waterford Viking Marathon 2017 (plus half and quarter races) - it's on Saturday 24th June, and will take in Rice Bridge, the Suir Bridge and the Deise Greenway. A very different marathon route from the previous years :)http://www.waterfordvikingmarathon.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

That's a tough enough route Rubyk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

It sounds like a nice change from the Tramore Road though imo :D

I'm dreading the two climbs out of Mount Congrieve already!! But the Greenway and bridges will be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

MacSwifty wrote: »
    I'm dreading the two climbs out of Mount Congrieve already!! But the Greenway and bridges will be good!

Yes, the Bridges and Greenway will be a great addition, and will make up for that drag up Mount Congrieve. I'll probably just do the half though - but if I'm feeling well recovered from London, you never know, the full might call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Lets just hope that they measured it correctly.

• Advertisement

Ran the second half of the course last weekend - it is interesting to say the least!! Miles 13 -15 are tough up the old road across from the mart heading up to Gracedieu by the water tower and Roanmore GAA. Greenway and down Summerhill are to follow though so evens out!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

The new route is looking tempting. What sort of elevation gain is on the 2017 course?

The new route is looking tempting. What sort of elevation gain is on the 2017 course?

The second half elevation gain was 460 feet so I would estimate overall around 900ft but also the same in decent but a lot of the downhill will be sharp ie down Summertime. The website has a graph showing the route in terms of altitude gains but it is condensed.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

Are the hills really bad? What be compared to in Dublin? Just thinking about it... Thanks!

• Advertisement

It will be grand Kabuxa not the fastest course ever but enjoyable nonetheless :P. Generally the pacers are spot on and there will be a bit of banter along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

I'm hoping to get to Waterford once or twice before the race for a run on the route. Would I be correct in assuming that there is no pedestrian access across the toll bridge? Parking at carriganore and doing the remainder of the route from there is probably my best option (doing the half)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

MacSwifty wrote:
    It will be grand Kabuxa not the fastest course ever but enjoyable nonetheless . Generally the pacers are spot on and there will be a bit of banter along the way.

Do I take @MacSwifty that you are a very positive person? 😂😂 I will believe you though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

would be very narrow on the greenway, what sort of numbers will do this?

Yes Kabuxa To a Fault!!
    There are 200-300 runners over from Wales across the 3 events so that will add to the event further

kabuxa wrote: »
    MacSwifty wrote:
    It will be grand Kabuxa not the fastest course ever but enjoyable nonetheless . Generally the pacers are spot on and there will be a bit of banter along the way.
    julyjane wrote: »
    I'm hoping to get to Waterford once or twice before the race for a run on the route.  Would I be correct in assuming that there is no pedestrian access across the toll bridge?  Parking at carriganore and doing the remainder of the route from there is probably my best option  (doing the half)

JonnyF  - The Greenway will be grand as the numbers will be dispersed  by then the the previous marathons were held out and back to Tramore without Road closures. The walkway on the Tramore road was used with out any hassle previously

Do I take @MacSwifty that you are a very positive person? 😂😂 I will believe you though!
    To a Fault!!
    There are 200-300 runners over from Wales across the 3 events so that will add to the event further

I'm hoping to get to Waterford once or twice before the race for a run on the route.  Would I be correct in assuming that there is no pedestrian access across the toll bridge?  Parking at carriganore and doing the remainder of the route from there is probably my best option  (doing the half)
    JulyJane - The Saturday Road Runners and WAC will generally run the half route a couple of times prior to the race so keep an eye out for them on Facebook - The pacers will be there also!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

would be very narrow on the greenway, what sort of numbers will do this?

There's Plenty of space on the section of greenway being used to accommodate more double the numbers that will be running on the day!

It certainly is an interesting course, some fast sections, a lot of slow sections and a new finish area in carriganore (same as WAC December half)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Finally signed up for this, its only down the road for me but yet this will be my first time running the marathon in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fruitbats

1056ft
    http://dynamic-assets.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/1374345022?host_canon=mapmyrun.com

• Advertisement

Run this Sat morning 15 miles @ 08.00 12 miles @ 08.30 meeting at Harvey Norman Car Park. This run will take in the second half of the marathon route, but will cover a lot of the 1st half by doing so. All welcome, all levels catered for!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Gonna do this as a focus for my "get less fat" training. Just amble along, and stay down there for the night [on my own it seems, so clearly jump in with that bucket of welsh folks!!].

Only running a few times a week these days, and doing that running slowly, but have two 2 1/2 hour runs done - so will get around at least :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Just signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is there a profile view for the half anywhere?, I found the Limerick one quite helpful when planning pace a few weeks back.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Hi SC
    Profile is in following link. Some of the course is covered twice so at mile 7.5 and 20 you will exit of the Greenway back on to the Waterford - Kilmeaden road, This little bugger is a real pipe opener especially the second time round. Just after mile 12 as the halfers head for home there is a good tough drag of over a mile up by the new Roanmore GAA pitches, but there is swift payback downhill via Summerhill. There are few drags early on heading out Sallypark to the new bridge.
    Hope this is of benefit
    MacSwifty
    Opps sorry disregard most of the above. The profile for the half is identical to mile 12. From 12 it downhill and flat and you can take it as the last mile of the full. There is potentially an up hill finish depending on the position of the finishing line in WIT Carriganore

http://www.waterfordvikingmarathon.com/event-info/route-details.html

Thanks for that MacSwifty, looks a lot more hilly than Limerick with a potentially tough finish, will definitely hold something back for the last few miles.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Going to give this another chance this year, I'm in for the half and just copped how close it actually is:eek: Hope it's a good one.

This is my first time doing a half (previously only done up to 10k). I live about 30 minutes away so I'll probably leave the house around 7.30 to get parked and down to the start line.

When should I eat breakfast and what is the best thing to have, can anyone advise? And what's good to have the day/night before?

Anyone receive their bib's yet if registering by post, haven't received mine here and was wondering if they have started posting out yet?

• Advertisement

Sending them out this week according to their Facebook page

Advertisement