Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Viking Marathon - 24th June 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Everyone enjoy some kinda long[ish] run in the crazy heat over the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Yup. Although enjoy and long are not really the right words. Went out to do 12 but realised at 8 that it needed to be cut short. Manages just under 10 and I was wrecked. And that was at 8 in the morning! Roll on Saturday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

I did 12 on Thursday just before the mercury rose so that's my last long one down. Haven't got out since due to circumstances beyond my control but I'll try and do 3 or 4 miles this evening if I get the chance. 3 children and a spouse who works mainly evenings and weekends don't make it easy, as it is I'm having to farm them out to relatives for the weekend just so I can turn up on Saturday morning but I'll have the weekend and the house to myself then so a nice relaxing recovery is in store.

Really looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Forecast is a bit cooler for the 24th, Thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Forecast is a bit cooler for the 24th, Thankfully.

Yep, thankfully this Saturday instead of last Saturday!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Anyone know what the frequency of the shuttle busses is likely to be from the finish line back to the retail park ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Are there shuttle buses afterwards? I had envisaged myself walking from carriganore to Harvey Norman, when driving it doesn't seem far at all and will be facing people who are still running.

It'll be great if there are shuttle buses, they had a lot of info on Facebook earlier and were very responsive to comments

julyjane wrote: »
    Are there shuttle buses afterwards? I had envisaged myself walking from carriganore to Harvey Norman, when driving it doesn't seem far at all and will be facing people who are still running.

It'll be great if there are shuttle buses, they had a lot of info on Facebook earlier and were very responsive to comments

Its 4k from the stadium to the retail park according to google maps if I'm looking at the right places, pretty far after a half (or full) race on tired legs. I could be looking a the wrong place - am not familiar with the area, if its only 1 or 2k that would be great!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I'd say it's about 4k from the RSC that's where the finish was last year. I'll be in WIT tomorrow collecting my number so I'll see then but if you're on Facebook check out their page they put up an aerial photo today showing where the car park is

julyjane wrote: »
    I'd say it's about 4k from the RSC that's where the finish was last year. I'll be in WIT tomorrow collecting my number so I'll see then but if you're on Facebook check out their page they put up an aerial photo today showing where the car park is

Aha, thanks for that, its only about a km or even less looking at that, grand stuff, perfect, thanks very much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

From WIT Carriganore to Retail Park is a little more than a half a mile so no need for Shuttle bus. A nice walk to loosen out the limbs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Entry available if anyone is looking

I'm getting way ahead of myself here but what are the arrangements for driving out of butlerstown retail park after the race if the roads are still closed? I'm hoping to do the half in about 2.20 so if I'm back at the car by 12, turning left out of the retail park will the cork road be closed to traffic?

Is the finishing line in the RSC or WIT for the full?

Zebra3 wrote:
    Is the finishing line in the RSC or WIT for the full?

WIT is the finish for all the races. The arena in carrignore not the main college on the cork road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

All the best folks! Starting to get psyched up now, hope everyone has a good one.

Great race!, thanks to the organisers. Found it quite undulating course, a bit tougher than the Limerick one a few weeks ago, with a particularly tough climb between mile 7 and 8, many were reduced to walking. Set a PB all the same for the half (1:41:50) so happy enough. Will enjoy a few cold beers tonight :)

Supercell wrote: »
    Great race!, thanks to the organisers. Found it quite undulating course, a bit tougher than the Limerick one a few weeks ago, with a particularly tough climb between mile 7 and 8, many were reduced to walking. Set a PB all the same for the half (1:41:50) so happy enough. Will enjoy a few cold beers tonight :)

Well done supercell! I found the course tough as well, seemed to drag all the way up to 9 miles with that country road at 7 being the toughest, gritting teeth going up there. Wouldn't let that turn me off coming back again though. The organisation was spot on today and all is forgiven for me anyway. A big thank you to the 1.30 pacers as well especially the guy who kept dropping back when I fell off pace a few times throughout the race and even slowed the main bunch down to get me back in. I got to within 10 metres but just couldn't bridge the final gap at 10 miles. Didn't manage the 1.30 but he pulled me a lot farther than I would've otherwise made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

El Caballo wrote: »
    Well done supercell! I found the course tough as well, seemed to drag all the way up to 9 miles with that country road at 7 being the toughest, gritting teeth going up there. Wouldn't let that turn me off coming back again though. The organisation was spot on today and all is forgiven for me anyway. A big thank you to the 1.30 pacers as well especially the guy who kept dropping back when I fell off pace a few times throughout the race and even slowed the main bunch down to get me back in. I got to within 10 metres but just couldn't bridge the final gap at 10 miles. Didn't manage the 1.30 but he pulled me a lot farther than I would've otherwise made it.

Well done. You might as well tell us what time you got, like.

Itziger wrote: »
    Well done. You might as well tell us what time you got, like.

I grinded to a halt over the last 5k and finished in 1.33.02. Big fade but off of just easy mileage. My muscles probably weren't ready for an all out half, good starting point though and no doubt it stood to me.

• Advertisement

Ran the full today. Incredibly tough going. Elevation on my app showed up at the end as 720m.

Tough on the legs, and very tough physcologically given there were long stretches out in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks to the organisers and all involved in helping out!

Great event, I did the half and it was enough. I'm usually more of a run/walker but ran the first 7 miles without stopping so I'm feeling that in my legs now. I only stopped running when we got off the greenway. Psychologically it was a great race for breaking down into sections quay-bridges-greenway-cork road- lismore park and tackling one section at a time

By the time I got there this morning the car park at Butlerstown retail park was full so they directed us to WIT on the cork road. I walked back there afterwards and probably needed the walk to shake out the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Tough out there today. Full course went up that hill of the Greenway again at mile 20. Also had a longer climb after 12
    Conditions did not help either.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Ran the full today. Incredibly tough going. Elevation on my app showed up at the end as 720m.

Tough on the legs, and very tough physcologically given there were long stretches out in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks to the organisers and all involved in helping out!

Conditions were pretty hot, I'm full of admiration for those that did the "the hill" twice, that must have been pretty brutal on the full. You earned some kudos!

Hot, hilly, very tough but very well organised. I found the climb just after the full split from the half the toughest. By the end of that I had vowed to walk the climb out of the Greenway the second time. Which I did!

Supercell wrote: »
    Conditions were pretty hot, I'm full of admiration for those that did the "the hill" twice, that must have been pretty brutal on the full. You earned some kudos!

Back home now and having a couple of bottles of stout. :)

Yeh, the heat and the hills was a horrid combination!!!

If anyone is looking for a serious challenge, I'd recommend it.

Anyone got a link to results for the top finishers today in the full?

All results are up on www.myrunresults.com

After the 11 mile mark I saw a man on the ground being given CPR and shortly afterwards an ambulance headed in that direction with the sirens on, I hope he was ok afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

I did the full as well and found it horrible. Between the heat so early and the three 'monstrous' hills... The worst I agree after the split with the half. And then do the one after the Greenway again. I really don't know how to cheer me up. I walked so much as well. Lethal. But it is done and dusted and a great experience 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

julyjane wrote:
    After the 11 mile mark I saw a man on the ground being given CPR and shortly afterwards an ambulance headed in that direction with the sirens on, I hope he was ok afterwards

Saw him too. When I passed he was responsive and a lady was saying you need sugar. Ambulance was not there yet but I heard it afterwards. He looked young but very pale. I hope he is ok too.

• Advertisement

The full marathon sounds tough, I'm not familiar with the gracedieu area so didn't know it was so hilly. I'm a long way away from full marathon standard, yesterday was my first ever half and when the quarter marathon runners were breaking away from the greenway I was glad I was doing the half because after such a nice run over the bridges and down the greenway I was getting into a nice stride at that stage. The stride was sharply broken on the hill out of the greenway but I used that hill to walk and recover a bit and that made the cork road stretch easier. I was delighted to see a girl at the holy cross pub handing out sugary sweets, they were needed at that stage!

Any photos up online anywhere yet?

Advertisement