Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Viking Marathon - 24th June 2017

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Man, that was a toughie. Held with the 3 hour pacer till just after 17 mile, and then everything started to cramp.
    Didn't have the greatest preparation on the run up to this one. Some was my own fault and some outside of my control, but regardless, the heat was an absolute killer and deffo went a long way to the cramping, which I never do.
    Perhaps mentally, the thoughts of that second climb of the hill after the greenway did me in totally. Stop-start finish because of leg stretching left me come in around 3.07.
    Not too displeased with it, but I'd love to attack that course in cool weather with proper prep. She's an animal of a route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Man, that was a toughie. Held with the 3 hour pacer till just after 17 mile, and then everything started to cramp.
    Didn't have the greatest preparation on the run up to this one. Some was my own fault and some outside of my control, but regardless, the heat was an absolute killer and deffo went a long way to the cramping, which I never do.
    Perhaps mentally, the thoughts of that second climb of the hill after the greenway did me in totally. Stop-start finish because of leg stretching left me come in around 3.07.
    Not too displeased with it, but I'd love to attack that course in cool weather with proper prep. She's an animal of a route.

Still some run so soon after Limerick and considering the course and conditions, those hills were no joke going up them once never mind having to come around and go again. Pretty sure I was tucked in behind you and the giant fella from bulfin runners going down the greenway.

Fair play on toughing it over the last 10, must have being tough going!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Looking at the results, it looked like the 3:00 pacers missed their time.

Is that highly unusual?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

Zebra3 wrote:

Zebra3 wrote:
    Is that highly unusual?

In that heat surprised anyone got their time. I guess they knew the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Zebra3 wrote: »

Is that highly unusual?

Yes it is but they are human too. Paced 4:15 myself and literally fell over the line in a heap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I ran the full thing too. I know how tough it was. :D Just curious that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I ran the full thing too. I know how tough it was. :D Just curious that's all.

I'd like to hear what the story was though. I note they went through halfway in 1.30 and change so already a little bit out. But there may be reasons, maybe no-one was feeling up to it, or maybe they were bereft of runners by then already. There were so few around the 3 hour mark in any case. I note the one 2.59er had a 1.22.50 first Half.

Ouch!

Where does this marathon go I wonder? End June is always running the risk of a warm day in South East, and now it sounds quite a tough course as well. Were numbers up, down or the same as previous years?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

That was fair tough alright but I expected the course to be but hoped the weather would be cooler!! All in all it was a good event I survived the full but the last few miles from the bank on were not pretty!! Nice finishing @ WIT and good rub down is always appreciated. I liked the Greenway and was dreading it before the day - Lismore Park to West was difficult even on Lap 1
    The numbers were 3000 which is the quota across the 3 events - Next year they should get the crowds to the Hill at Mount Congreive ala the Tour de France :devil:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Is that highly unusual?

The pacer in question got talking to a pacee under serious pressure for a London qualifier decided to stick with him and get him in under 3.05. Not sure what happened with the other pacer (3.01) but at that stage there was nobody left to pace!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Damn tough course, didn't help I didn't read up on the route before hand though.

Awful long day for me as I started running to waterford at 2am from my house, but delighted I got a mention crossing the finish line about my 56miles done in total.

The silly things people do for charity :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Cabaal wrote: »
    Damn tough course, didn't help I didn't read up on the route before hand though.    

Awful long day for me as I started running to waterford at 2am from my house, but delighted I got a mention crossing the finish line about my 56miles done in total.

Jeez 26 was enough Top Lad:O

Cabaal wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Fair play. Charity or no charity 56 miles is 'serious' and those conditions (heat and hills!) you have all my respect. I remember arriving to finish line and meeting all the people that had finished and were walking back and were clapping... I was thinking.. .yeah yeah you liars, you dont mean it HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I was soooooo 'dead' so 56 miles.... ay ay ay some hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

Would you reckon they might change the marathon route after this year? They got a bit of negative feedback and a lot of people don't like looping back over the same route, although logistically it was probably easier as they didn't have to have as many road closures, stewards or water stations. I only did the half so it didn't affect me but I would love to do the full one maybe in 2-3 years time.

julyjane wrote:
    Would you reckon they might change the marathon route after this year? They got a bit of negative feedback and a lot of people don't like looping back over the same route, although logistically it was probably easier as they didn't have to have as many road closures, stewards or water stations. I only did the half so it didn't affect me but I would love to do the full one maybe in 2-3 years time.

Logistically it was easier but there difficult areas like running by motorway. But the rest I agree... the roads were mostly open all the time. I personally struggled for many reasons heat, hills, the loop, the 'add on' before the last hill...People say there was lots of support... I didnt see it.... A lot of it was quite scenic but to me didnt compensate my 'suffering'.
    I just had a bad day. But organisation wise was really good.
    It was some experience though.
    You should try it! Best of luck.

Advertisement