Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Powering off PC during Windows Update installs?

• 15-12-2016 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭

I turned my PC off last night at 11pm and it said "Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing update 1 of 9"

As of 10am today it's still showing the message, but has moved onto "...Installing update 6 of 9" and the little activity circle is moving.

I need to use the PC for work, can I reset it with no major issues??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I won't guarantee any issues. Nobody can guarantee that. You are basically cutting power to the drives when they are being written to and you could cause a lot more damage.
    I will say that I have successfully turned off numerous Windows 7 machines while updates are installing and Windows has always graciously recovered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

d31b0y wrote: »
    I won't guarantee any issues. Nobody can guarantee that. You are basically cutting power to the drives when they are being written to and you could cause a lot more damage.
    I will say that I have successfully turned off numerous Windows 7 machines while updates are installing and Windows has always graciously recovered.

aye.. I couldn't wait so did a reset and once I managed to log in again I ran Windows Update from within the OS itself. Seemed to go along smoothly.

There was really no option as it was running for 12 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A good idea when this happens is to check your HDD activity light. If its going like the clappers the system is actually trying to do something and interrupting has a good chance of damage. If its idle then the updates are likely stuck/crashed/in a lockout and the graceless shutdown is less likely to cause damage, though may still.

Advertisement