Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

incremental credit and dept. of Ed

Options
  • 15-12-2016 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

hi, after a long time and a lot of effort I got my ETB to approve my application for incremental credit. I was notified in mid November by my ETB that under CL0029/2007 they have deemed my experience to be relevant to my current position and eligible for incremental credit. The ETB passed this recommendation to the dept. of Ed for assessment and a final decision.
    My question is does anyone know how long the Dept. usually take in making their decision in cases such as this? I understand that there will be a delay in getting a back payment (tax, pension deductions to be clarified etc) but that upon receiving a decision from the Dept. my ETB will immediately move me up on the pay scale to the relevant point. In the short term this would be a considerable improvement in my pay so naturally I'm impatient. Any info would be appreciated thank!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭derb12

Hi - I got this a few years back. I just applied directly to the dept and was amazed how quickly it was processed. I got my response and a cheque within a few weeks!
    Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 foxes

Thanks derb12. I got onto my ETB when I received their notification that they had accepted my previous experience, I was hoping my ascent up the pay grades would kick in in time for the Santa shopping, they said they had contacted the Dept. of Ed with that in mind but couldn't get any concrete response in that regard and couldn't even get a timeframe as to when a final decision would be made. The ETB HR also cautioned about counting chickens before they hatch as the final decision rests with the Dept. of Ed. and they had seen ETB recommendations being overruled. So time will tell, but thanks again for your experience.

just to update the situation . I received a letter from the Dept. of Ed via my ETB HR dept., stating that they (dept.of Ed) had refused to authorise my application for incremental credit. Have to say I am very disappointed with that, despite being warned by my HR dept not to count chickens etc I had thought I had jumped all the hurdles. I intend to take up my option to appeal this decision to the Conciliation Committee and would really appreciate any advice from those of you who have gone through this process.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭derb12

Sorry to hear that foxes. I'm not etb so my application process was probably easier. Have you tried asking the union about it?

Hi Derb12, yes got onto my TUI rep but still awaiting a response......
    time will tell I suppose. I'll keep updating the thread if I hear anything regards my case or anything about the Conciliation Commission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Baz19

Hi sorry to hijack the thread, but is there a stipulation where the incremental credit has to applied for within 2 years of starting your current position?
    Thanks

Hi Baz19

as far as I know no such stipulation. My own application falls outside of that timeframe so I presume it would have been immediately rejected prior to getting this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭goldsalmon33

I know this is an old thread but hoping to get some more info from the posters above please?

@foxes: Did you manage to get anywhere in the end with your appeal? I've just been rejected also based on my relevant non-teaching experience.

@derb12: You mentioned either in this thread or another thread that you received the incremental credit using relevant non-teaching experience? Would you mind sharing what experience you had? either publicly or via PM?

Hi Goldsalmon33 - no good news I'm afraid. Following advice gained from TUI and my ETB HR dept., I reapplied for non teaching experience, as the DOE did not recognise previous employment as teaching but to no avail. Again I was approved by own ETB HR dept but DOE again refused, and actually stated I was re applying on a decision already made. I appealed and again shot down. I was advised, by TUI, to wait until the latest Conciliation meeting as they believed other cases being heard could set a precedence. I am getting ready to appeal to the next Conciliation in Spring of 2019, getting more supporting documentation etc.
    If I am still unsuccessful, it seems the next course of action is to go to the Labour Court/Workplace Relations Commission, unsure if that will have to be a private undertaking or will be supported by the union - that hasn't really been discussed.

All of this is probably not what you are looking for but thats where I stand at the minute. Feel free to PM for more details if you want. Best of luck with your own application.
    Foxes

Ed: can't believe it's 2 years since I first posted, the wheels of bureaucracy roll slowly - still WHEN successful it means more money will be backdated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Sorry state of affairs when a Minister can bump up an advisor by 4 points/12K pa at a whim. Meanwhile teachers have to scrounge around and fight for years for a fraction.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105728723

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/junior-minister-lands-13k-salary-hike-for-her-new-press-adviser-36457397.html

If ever there was a precedent for you here is one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Been following this thread so would love if you posted here with whatever happens in Spring 2019. Fingers crossed for you.

Advertisement