Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forbidden Fruit Festival 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

buried wrote: »
    Aphex twin show was unreal. Was up the front, absolute next level entertainment. When the visuals of Tubridy/Enda/Leo/Twink came on I literally lost the piss out of my pants. The Machinedrum tune coming on was the hghlight for me also 10/10

Can you post a link to the Machinedrum song? Something he played was on the tip of my tongue and I think it was that.

Paleblood wrote: »
    Aphex was the highlight for me but it was let down by a poor crowd. But that's city festivals for you. I'd love to see him with a Bloc type crowd.

I should clarify (before someone bites the head off me) that I'm not specifically criticising the FF crowd. The atmosphere at Aphex tonight is typical of city festivals. Even the mighty Sonar was the same the last time I was there. You've got huge numbers of people just drifting around, dancing at anything with a regular beat and incessantly chatting. And there's nothing wrong with that. It is a festival after all. But the atmosphere of certain sets does suffer a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

Wasn't massively impressed with Aphex Twin tbh, ended up heading over the Outcider and Maceo Plex played a bloody blinder, have blisters on my feet and a sore back from going mental but it was well worth it. MP was the best of the festival so far for me. Tomorrow is the highlight for me, be put there early, particularly looking forward to the people's mixtape, the Staves and of course Bon Iver.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

Some guy had a seizure beside me in the crowd at the end of Aphex's set.
    This is what Aphex does to a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭ollkiller

First time at forbidden. Aphex twin was muck. Modorat and maceo plex were brilliant. Friendly enough festival. Would i go back. No. Why. The site is too small for the numbers involved and there's so many festivals doing it better, hint hint, they're in Europe. It never fails to surprise at the level of crap we put up with at festivals in Ireland.

• Advertisement

For those that think Aphex Twin was 'muck'. What exactly were you expecting?

That's a genuine question. I'm not trying be a smart arse. Aphex has never been a DJ that reads the crowd. He keeps his head down and doesn't respond to what's happening in front of him. So when a certain aspect of the set isn't working he just carries on regardless, unlike an experienced DJ that actually cut their teeth as a DJ. Aphex is a producer first and performer second. In fact by many metrics he's not a good DJ or performer. His live set is even more of a cacophonous racket. What he brings is a full show and an exploration of types of electronic music that rarely gets attention at festivals like Forbidden Fruit. And that's what he delivered.

I'm just not sure what people were expecting. I guess the likes of Richie Hawtin if the crowd was anything to go by. "Whoop, there it is".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,781 ✭✭✭buried

Can you post a link to the Machinedrum song? Something he played was on the tip of my tongue and I think it was that.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,781 ✭✭✭buried

lol 'muck' Inject that muck into my face

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

ollkiller wrote: »
    First time at forbidden. Aphex twin was muck. Modorat and maceo plex were brilliant. Friendly enough festival. Would i go back. No. Why. The site is too small for the numbers involved and there's so many festivals doing it better, hint hint, they're in Europe. It never fails to surprise at the level of crap we put up with at festivals in Ireland.

I really enjoyed but agree the numbers got too high for the site later in the day. It was very pleasant up to about 7 but became uncomfortable after that and a bit pointless tbh. I was at Wireless Finsbury Park couple of years back, similar line up and there was no problem moving around the whole evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

ollkiller wrote: »

He wasn't muck, his quite far above the level of any electronic artist around, he is hardcore through and through and is essentially against mainstream music, clearly only turned up for the big cheque but brings a very good alternative show. I laughed when i seen the fake tan clan leaving during his show, nice one Aphex. The sound was miserable, the wind obviously contributed but still it was quite poor. Moderat were ok, little bit boring at times, maceo plex, just seen a bit, ok. Walked by the little tent next to the marriage place, it was knocking out some nice jungle for a while :)

On another note, what's with a fairly large proportion of lads with their tops off displaying their chiselled physiques, a tight t-shirt would do - i'm sure the women could work it out.
    5 lamps beer = dreadful, gassed to the hilt too so a nice foamy head will accumulate and the bar saves a beer every 8th or so pint, the poor punter feeling rancid for the day!
    Festivals are a fcuking joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Bodhrandude - well.... how was it?!?

As a long time boards user I feel invested in your obsessive love of Aphex Twin, if you didn't enjoy yourself yesterday I think it would ruin my weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Probably asked already but anyway, can you get in with the ticket downloaded to your phone or do you need to have it printed out?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

budgemook wrote: »
    Probably asked already but anyway, can you get in with the ticket downloaded to your phone or do you need to have it printed out?

Thanks

Phone is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

lc180 wrote: »

As a long time boards user I feel invested in your obsessive love of Aphex Twin, if you didn't enjoy yourself yesterday I think it would ruin my weekend.

Maybe it was Bodhrandude who had a seizure at the end of Aphex 's set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Good weekend. Caught the end of Mall Grab on the Saturday which was alright. Really enjoyed Booka Shade at the main stage as the sun was setting, lovely stuff. Orbital were great until the rain started lashing down just as they were starting Halcyon, sort of split the crowd and killed the buzz somewhat. Unfortunate.

After a change of socks and t shirt we went to Index mistakenly thinking Jeremy Underground was on (he was on the Sunday), but were greeted by some fairly banging techno (don't know who it was) which turned out to be very enjoyable. Good workout was had.

Headed in for Kink on the Sunday who I thought was ok. Didnt blow me away but grand for the time of day it was. Went into Fatima Yamaha as it started lashing rain, but with everyone rushing to the tents it was uncomfortably packed so went and caught the second half of Moderat (grand but not really my thing) before Maceo Plex came on.

Maceo Plex's set was interesting and probably the highlight (of the festival) for me. Still trying to make sense of it but I was definitely losing my **** for prolonged periods of time.

Went back to Index afterwards where Jeremy Underground was actually playing, and my god was it good. Music was perfect. Uplifting and so very very funky, everyone just dancing like crazy and having a good time. Caught myself a few times thinking 'this is what it's all about', which makes it the highlight of the weekend for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Gunner5

Heading to FF today. Anyone know what the ground is like after 2 days ? Decision ls needed about footwear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

can the festival be accessed from the west entrance, by the hilton?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Jazzzman wrote: »
    can the festival be accessed from the west entrance, by the hilton?

No you have to loop around to the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Gunner5 wrote: »
    Heading to FF today. Anyone know what the ground is like after 2 days ? Decision ls needed about footwear :)

Ground was holding up surprisingly well. Old shoes would probably do it, I didn't see many with wellies.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Aphex was the highlight for me but it was let down by a poor crowd. But that's city festivals for you. I'd love to see him with a Bloc type crowd.

The year he played bloc I couldn't get into the room for love nor money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

Anyone have any idea how to loosen the bloody wrist bands, mine got tightened in my sleep last night and it's annoying me so much that I am fit to cut it off!

The year he played bloc I couldn't get into the room for love nor money

I should clarify, Aphex drew a big crowd last night. I was referring to the energy of the crowd. A lot of people thought (hoped) he was a techno DJ and didn't really know how to react when they found out he wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

Whatever about the occasional downpours on Saturday and Sunday, its been pretty much constant rain in Dublin for the last 4 hours or so now. I'd say its been a pretty subdued day there today, my sympathies to the drenched attendees.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

lc180 wrote: »

Will put up a comment after, of course blown away was disappointed tho he didn't play the new track was totally psyched for that, still loved it though. He only used about a quarter of the lasers tho, compared to the gigs the night before. Will be on after as I've to rush out the door and do a session in Galway.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I was there on the Sunday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Highlights for me were Moderat and of course Aphex Twin. When the rain started falling during Aphex Twin many people legged it for cover to which some lad beside me turned and said "the millenials are dropping like flies", ended up having a good chat with that lad.

The queues to get in at around 4pm yesterday were fairly long and slow moving but the craic among the crowd was light hearted. We sat out in the sun and watched Mura Masa, pleasantly surprised by him.

But I was blown away by Aphex Twin, what a climax at the end, audio visual madness, loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

For those that think Aphex Twin was 'muck'. What exactly were you expecting?

That's a genuine question. I'm not trying be a smart arse. Aphex has never been a DJ that reads the crowd. He keeps his head down and doesn't respond to what's happening in front of him. So when a certain aspect of the set isn't working he just carries on regardless, unlike an experienced DJ that actually cut their teeth as a DJ. Aphex is a producer first and performer second. In fact by many metrics he's not a good DJ or performer. His live set is even more of a cacophonous racket. What he brings is a full show and an exploration of types of electronic music that rarely gets attention at festivals like Forbidden Fruit. And that's what he delivered.

I'm just not sure what people were expecting. I guess the likes of Richie Hawtin if the crowd was anything to go by. "Whoop, there it is".

Hawtin will be hurt being associated with that type crowd :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

What a miserable day it was yesterday. The rain never let up!
    I got there in time for the mixtape thing, which was poor imo, and left after 30 mins or so to check out Talos who were great.
    The Staves were pretty good, as were Ryan Vail and the Rusangano Family.

The food options were decent i thought, and the Aungier danger donuts were the business.

I just had the one beer, as a combination of the sh!tty weather and work this morning made it a bit pointless.

One of the biggest crowds was in the Lighthouse. There were no lights on, or music playing. People were just trying to get in out of the rain!

I left 50 mins through Bon Iver. I was enjoying them, but couldn't really get into it.

People were swarming out come 10pm, and as we had a 90 minute journey home, all i could think of was my warm bed, so i followed the crowd and headed off.

I've been going to gigs for 25 years, and i've never let the weather bother me before, but it did yesterday. Kinda raging with myself as i'd been looking forward to it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

well if it makes you feel any better, there was some sort of technical difficulties around 10:10 and the music was off for about 15mins by the sounds of it. BI came back but it still finished at 10:45, so you probably didn't miss too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

well if it makes you feel any better, there was some sort of technical difficulties around 10:10 and the music was off for about 15mins by the sounds of it. BI came back but it still finished at 10:45, so you probably didn't miss too much!
    Score!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I really enjoyed Aphex Twin, Nicolas Jarr and Moderat - to be honest it isn't my type of music so I really wasn't expecting much. We left before the end and I was in bed by midnight as the rain really got to me.

Advertisement