Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forbidden Fruit Festival 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Paddy2012

well if it makes you feel any better, there was some sort of technical difficulties around 10:10 and the music was off for about 15mins by the sounds of it. BI came back but it still finished at 10:45, so you probably didn't miss too much!

Yeah there was noticeable sound issues during that Moon Water song and they left the stage for about 15 minutes. Some of the crowd just left around then due to the weather which was a shame as the encore was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Paddy2012

The People's Mixtape thing was a bit of a disappointment, from the way it was advertised it seemed like it was going to involve a lot more artists but maybe the weather was an issue. Not only was the rain constant but it was very cold too, really not ideal for a festival. I still enjoyed myself though, thought Danny Brown and Flying Lotus were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    Yeah there was noticeable sound issues during that Moon Water song and they left the stage for about 15 minutes. Some of the crowd just left around then due to the weather which was a shame as the encore was great.

What was the encore? Please don't say they did heavenly father with the Staves?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

What was the encore? Please don't say they did heavenly father with the Staves?

It was Skinny Love and another song which I can't think of the name of, no Staves.

Yesterday was so miserable weatherwise, it rained solidly. Apart from The Staves who did a really nice set and Bon Iver my day was spent in Lighthouse, smoking fags, drinking and chatting to others about the festival. Had it not been Bon Iver I would have left though, it was that bad. The ground held up very well on Saturday and Sunday I thought. But by last night large parts of were just mud, so bad that nearly lost a shoe at a few spots on the way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

dcfc91 wrote: »
    It was Skinny Love and another song which I can't think of the name of, no Staves.

Yesterday was so miserable weatherwise, it rained solidly. Apart from The Staves who did a really nice set and Bon Iver my day was spent in Lighthouse, smoking fags, drinking and chatting to others about the festival. Had it not been Bon Iver I would have left though, it was that bad. The ground held up very well on Saturday and Sunday I thought. But by last night large parts of were just mud, so bad that nearly lost a shoe at a few spots on the way out.

"Beth/Rest", according to Setlist.fm.

It's the usual closing number, but I wasn't there myself so cannot verify!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭ngunners

"Beth/Rest", according to Setlist.fm.

It's the usual closing number, but I wasn't there myself so cannot verify!!

Correct. Anyone who left before the end would have missed 'creature fear', 'skinny love' and Beth/ rest if I remember rightly.

Really didn't think they were going to get the sound issues sorted which would have been a shame. Don't think we missed out on too much actual music in the end. Justin Vernon called the band back on straight after skinny love (which he performed solo) when it seemed to be planned for him to leave and then for them all to come back for an encore.

Edit: to paraphrase JV 'we're not going to leave the stage, we just want to play as much music as we can for you.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Highlights for me were Danny Brown and Flying Lotus. Danny Brown was ridiculously good, great setlist and the live performance was excellent. I had only heard a few Flying Lotus tunes before, was impressed with the set and the visuals.

Did not enjoy Bon Iver, possibly because of the poxy weather. Didn't watch any of Lisa Hannigan because of the poxy weather. I've been at plenty of outdoor gigs and festivals and have never been so pissed off with the weather, not sure why. I guess it's because it didn't let up for a second, normally you get a break here or there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yeah really enjoyed Forbidden Fruit, Sunday was probably the best day weather wise as we also got a few nice sunny spells. DJ Deece had a hard time trying to pulling the crowd with some of the rainy showers, he had a funky house thing going and a few braved the rain to dance.

Trouped up to the Outcider tent to watch a bit of Eve, four women taking turns at playing some pumping techno who had a nice wee crowd gathered. Monolink (2nd act on main stage) from Berlin had a few more up and was luckier to get some sunny spells, Monolink could be described as house, funk, beats and some vocals and guitar, a one man show if you like. He had a small captive audience not dancing really but sitting on the hillside overlooking the stage.

Went up to the Outcider tent again, I'm not sure who I caught here but it was either Hybrazil or Kink, but great pumping dance music (unsure if it was house or techno) but they had at least half a tent dancing.

Was watching a bit of Mura Masa on the main stage while waiting for a friend to arrive at the entrance, they pulled a nice crowd and got a bit of momentary sunshine. Their buzz seemed to have a similar vibe to Little Dragon, pop and dubstep.

Went for a wander and the back to the Outcider to catch the Moderat set, who played a blinder, I left halfway through Bad Kingdom as I thought I was going to collapse with the heat in the rammed tent, plus my bottle of water was running out and the pill was kicking in. Was glad to get outside to the colder air and a bit of rain.

And finally to the Aphex Twin set which I thoroughly enjoyed but couldn't help thinking that we got the village edition of his stage show compared to the Field Day set up (which I watched again last night). he played some of that dreamy stuff from his Soundcloud dump. The biggest surprise was that the man does his research, wasn't the second track identical to the second track from his 2011 set, 14 Floating, maybe he was testing us for memory.

I didn't recognise a lot of the material in his set, but loved it all the same its just a pity he couldn't have started at 8.45 so that we got the two hours. There was some real tasty jungle and DnB moments and definitely some new Aphex material premiered as well, but for me, I was dying to hear this new song that he started playing at the Primavera set, but it seems the previous nights were two hour sets and that track was played in the additional extra half hour.

Edit: I might add I was surprised there was no merch stall at FF as there was in 2011, was wanting to get a new Aphex Twin tee shirt but no joy, the current one I have is falling off me from wear. You might recognise my voice in some of the clips I was the Scots dude who recorded the 2011 show and upped the recording into Soundcloud.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Just went to yesterday... god the weather was so crap. Spent most of the afternoon in that some place else tent. Love get down edits so happy to dance there, then this stupid bingo show came on, like been transported back in time to rag week. Maybe I'm just getting old.
    The people's mix tape thing was very poor..literally gave me a headache. I was just so cold and miserable when Bon came on and like another poster said if it wasn't for him we would have left! He was brilliant but no contest with the gig in the O2 in 2012.
    Left before the encore,quick change of clothes and off to dj deece in the button factory which was brilliant.

First time at forbidden fruit, wouldn't go again, weather didn't help but just not liking the vibe of the place, also crowd was very young.

Bodhrandude, delighted you enjoyed apex twin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Rfrip wrote: »
    Just went to yesterday... god the weather was so crap. Spent most of the afternoon in that some place else tent. Love get down edits so happy to dance there, then this stupid bingo show came on, like been transported back in time to rag week. Maybe I'm just getting old.
    The people's mix tape thing was very poor..literally gave me a headache. I was just so cold and miserable when Bon came on and like another poster said if it wasn't for him we would have left! He was brilliant but no contest with the gig in the O2 in 2012.
    Left before the encore,quick change of clothes and off to dj deece in the button factory which was brilliant.

First time at forbidden fruit, wouldn't go again, weather didn't help but just not liking the vibe of the place, also crowd was very young.

Bodhrandude, delighted you enjoyed apex twin!!!

That's exactly what i thought, anytime i passed it!

i said to my missus that we hadn't seen anyone messy drunk which was nice to see, then the disco bingo yoke ended, and they all staggered out.
    There was a couple lying, panned out in the muck at the hot dog place, and 2 girls unable to stand to the lhs of the main stage. We sent paramedics their way as they were in a hape.

The crowd were young, but not as young as Longitude, at least there were a few older heads there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

I find the crowd is generally young enough early on at FF, but gets older as the day progresses. Probably due a combination of kids getting too drunk from starting early and not caring too much about the headline acts, who're usually less mainstream. Anytime after 6/7pm I'd say the average age is in the late 20s. Thats doing fairly well for a summer festival I think, especially compared to Longitude.

Longitude is shockingly young all day/night, probably due to the poppier acts. Time of year too probably, FF is just before the Leaving Cert which probably helps.

I do wish they'd clamp down on ID more at both though. Less kids would mean less passed out/messy drunk people. And less topless teenage boys in the dance tents, which would be a distinct plus. Security really should be over straight away to anyone with their top off, I don't understand why they ignore/allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Definitely noticed that age thing on the Sunday - seemed like the average age around the place was - at best- early twenties during the earlier part of the day, but by the evening the crowd seemed much older and were wearing a lot more clothes! I didn't see too many casualties throughout the day though in fairness, obviously there were a few, but, by and large, not really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Headed in just to see Bon Iver yesterday evening. Glad I didn't go in earlier as I probably wouldn't have been able to stick it in that weather. I don't mind a bit of rain, but that endless downfall combined with the cold was a bit too much. Crowd seemed okay, usual drunks pushing and shoving their way to the front, but the dopes swinging umbrellas around and blocking everyone's view really annoyed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'm just home.

That was a (Sun)day and a half!

Walked straight into Denis Sulta, and that just set the tone for the evening. He's a great session DJ. Got us all boisterous and lairy, and the group spilt up a bit, people went missing, pissing, and chatting. Went for a doddle to get beers (€6 quid for that piss. **** sake.) and went back to find MCDE starting. Man has grooves for days. Still didn't find the lads.

Alarm. ****. Aphex Twin.

Beeline for the exit. **** the lads, they know what we're here for. Made for the sound desk, just in front of it, found the lads. Joyous, happy occasion.

One of the lads had taken half a stamp when MCDE started, and was getting well underway before Aphex Twin started. He'd lost his sunglasses, so I stuck mine on his face.

Insanity began. Don't know when the heavens opened. Danced me bolix off. Looked back at some point and said to someone beside me "Ye can see the session moths are just lost!" Between the onslaught from the stage, to the 5 of us, absolutely ****ting the bed, there was fear, and raised eyebrows.

Somewhere around the second pause, I asked Trippy McBallsoff for the sunglasses back. His face, in minutes, was priceless, melted in a mash of terror and delight.

Went to Index, for Jeremy Underground, but just wasn't enjoying myself. Going from a billion BPM to that, along with a sudden lowering in mood, I was heading for the hills.

Monday can **** right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

I only went on Monday this year, I like the setup but the weather was horrible and put a complete downer on the day.

I do live beside the venue so was able to watch Bon Iver sound check without getting soaked which was cool. Also bumped into Aphex Twin outside the Hilton in Kilmainham, surprisingly taller dude in real life hah.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

lc180 wrote: »
    Also bumped into Aphex Twin outside the Hilton in Kilmainham, surprisingly taller dude in real life hah.

nice one, did you say Hi? Wonder what sort of a lad he is? From old interview footage he seems ordinary enough, unlike his material :D

• Advertisement

Little Ryan Wyer who made the homemade video for Minipops in Dublin, he and his family got invited onto the stage at Forbidden Fruit, a nice touch from Rich.

Little Ryan Wyer who made the homemade video for Minipops in Dublin, he and his family got invited onto the stage at Forbidden Fruit, a nice touch from Rich.

I was wondering what the connection was, he's getting some really positive comments on that youtube video. Really nice gesture from Richard D.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,781 ✭✭✭buried

I wish it was last week and I'd still be going to this thing this weekend. I had such a great time over the three days, and I ventured into them all late in the evening of each day. I'm still smiling after it a near week after.It was all about the artists for me, Orbital, Aphex Twin, Flying Lotus and Danny Brown. That's all I wanted. The AFX gig was absolute sonic magic, it really was. The three days and the stay cost me a bit but it was totally worth it. Great memories

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Some amount of chatting at that gig :D
    Did they play Animal trails ???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,781 ✭✭✭buried

One of the tracks AFX dropped during the FF show. Sums up the entire weekend for me. Absolute total smiley gold sonic magic.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 37 busterp

buried wrote: »
    One of the tracks AFX dropped during the FF show. Sums up the entire weekend for me. Absolute total smiley gold sonic magic.

That track was maybe the highlight for me too. It felt like I was in another world altogether up the front, there was some craic going round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

Had to pee at some stage so on a slow walk back I decided to record.

Next gig is Tony Bennett in a couple of weeks.

My review of Forbidden Fruit 2017 Sunday 4th June. Enjoy.

fair play bodhrandude, you know your Aphex Twin stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    Headed in for Kink on the Sunday who I thought was ok. Didnt blow me away but grand for the time of day it was. Went into Fatima Yamaha as it started lashing rain, but with everyone rushing to the tents it was uncomfortably packed so went and caught the second half of Moderat (grand but not really my thing) before Maceo Plex came on.

Maceo Plex's set was interesting and probably the highlight (of the festival) for me. Still trying to make sense of it but I was definitely losing my **** for prolonged periods of time.

Thought Kink was great, seen him before in District 8 but much better here.

Likewise, I was at Fatima Yamaha loving him but then it go chaotic... luckily for a rain jacket I stood outside on the path :D So many gob****es seemed to forget the Irish weather...

Maceo Plex was quality! Denis Sulta my highlight - unreal! Seen a bit of him at the Warehouse Project in Manchester in November but holy f**k he killed FF!

Advertisement