Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sets of faahve

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Deadlift: 6, 6, 5+F, 4 @ 140kg. In contrast to last week, warmups felt hard but first two sets were grand. Completely lost my concentration after a few reps in set 3, so abandoned the last rep. Confidence shot for last set.

Bench: 4x6 @ 77.5kg. This was much easier than expected. Like, it wasn't easy, but I was accepting the full 4x6 wasn't attainable. But it was. Nice.

Hamstring curl/tricep pushdown: 4x10/10 @ 25kg/47kg. Easy but not sure what starting point should have been.

Mixed bag tonight.

Squat: 4x6 @ 112.5kg. Beltless. Warmups felt weak and i had plenty of quit in me. Got my head straight and managed to push through. And in the end, they weren't bad at all.

Weighted dip: 4x6 @ 15kg. Hilariously easy. Wtf.

Leg extension/lat pulldowns: 60kg/65kg. Grand actually.

Triceps extension/one arm DB row: 2x8/8 @ 35kg/32.5kg. Ran out of time so had to cut two sets. Was starting to get tired anyway.

Happy with the morning overall

Squat: 4x6 @ 115kg. Beltless. Was good. Plenty of slow reps, so it's not like the weight was easy.

Weighted dip: 4x6 @ 17.5kg. Still easy. 20kg next time will be a nice milestone.

Leg extension/lat pulldowns: 4x8/8 @ 60kg/65kg. Started easier than last time but ended harder.

One-arm DB row/tricep pressdown/lateral raise: 3x8 @ 32.5/59/7.5. Decided to change it up but it was a stupid idea because I was worn out in no time. Can't do stuff like this effectively in a calorie deficit.

Happy with my morning considering the tiring weekend I had.

Family commitments meant i was always going to get to the gym late. I had accepted I'd have to cut either deadlifts or bench. Maybe even both.

Deadlift: 4x6 @ 140kg. Finally did it. Messed up my breathing pattern during 2nd set (exhaled at top for some reason) but overall, just felt stronger than previous weeks. Glad i didn't cut this.

Bench: 3x6 @ 80kg. This had to be cut from 4 sets due to time but it was bloody hard regardless, so i wouldn't have completed a 4th.

One set each of light hamstring curls and facepulls to near failure before gym closed

Squat: 4x6 @ 117.5kg. Beltless. This was hard. I also had a tendency to let my head drop down in the first set, but corrected it for the rest.

Weighted dip: 4x6 @ 20kg. Nice. Had to take irregular rest periods because I was working in with somebody which could have made it easier. Last set was a bit of a grind though.

Leg extension/lat pulldowns: 4x8/8 @ 65kg/65kg. Despite going up in extension weight, the pulldowns were harder.

One-arm DB row/lateral raise: 8 @ 32.5/10kg and 32.5/7.5. Was drained and the sense of quitting overwhelmed me.

Not the best day, but still happy.

• Advertisement

Squat: 4x6 @ 120kg. Beltless. My head wasn't in it. Something was up with my form and i couldn't quite figure it out. Wanted this number for these reps so badly that i finished it regardless.

Weighted dip: 4x6 @ 20kg. I wasn't 100% happy with form last time, so i repeated this. But it was too easy. Oh well.

Belt squat: did two sets of this and abandoned it because I spent forever setting it up and didn't find the Goldilocks height and challenging resistance.

Leg extension/ pullups: 2x10 @ 65/BW. Random recovery after belt squat embarrassment. Grand.

One-arm DB row/lateral raise: 2x8 @ 35/7.5kg. Realised the time so cut these again.

Mixed bag of a day. But I'm no longer in a calorie deficit as i finally reached my last short term goal of 75kg, so back to maintenance calories for a while.

Deadlift: 6, 6, 4, 4 @ 145kg. Just ran out of steam. Last rep on 2nd set was slightly dodgy but aside from that, i just felt i wasn't strong enough for a 4x6.

Bench: 6, 6, 6, 5+F @ 80kg. Almost! First time failing a bench in over 4 years. Not as annoyed as i thought I would be for not finishing the 4x6 but that's probably because I feel like I learned something new about my limitations.

Finished off with 45 hypers with 15kg (hamstring curl machine busy) and wide T-bar rows with 30kg for sets of 10.

Have a half day so taking advantage of the lower temperatures in the morning. If i was training this evening, this session could have been far worse.

Paused squat: 4x4 @ 110kg. Beltless. I wasn't happy with my form on Monday so took a step back with a variation that helps me identify faults. My main takeaway is that i can sometimes be sloppy with what I'm doing with my upper back/neck/head. Focusing on locking this aspect of bracing down before I unrack helps set the tone for the set.

Incline bench: 4x6 @ 60kg. Subbed these in today because there were already two working in together with the dip and i didn't wanna be a 3rd wheel. Happy enough.

Leg extension/ pullups: 2x8 @ 70/BW and 2x8 @ 65/BW. Dropped leg extension weight because I could barely finish it.

One-arm DB row/lateral raise: 2x8 @ 32.5/7.5kg. Short on time and energy. Could feel my soul leaving my body during the raises.

Was hoping my strength would magically increase after almost a week of an extra 350ish calories a day but nope. Too optimistic. Will keep trucking regardless.

Will be trying a 6 week minimal peaking program from next week so will be using a belt.

Squat: 2, 1, 2 @ 130kg. Used a belt because maybe the reason my squats feel bad with a belt is because I don't practice using a belt? Was optimistic about a 3x3 but it wasn't to be. I think my upper back bracing let me down but I probably just wasn't strong enough.

Bench: 3x3 @ 85kg. Well this was here today at least.

Pullups/DB rows/lateral raise: 5/8/8 @ BW/32.5/7.5. Just did two rounds.

Deadlift: 3x2 @ 160kg. Belted up because of new program next week just to get used to it. Heaviest I've pulled since 2021 and there was plenty of room for more. Happy.

Bench: 3x2 @ 90kg. Heaviest I've 'repped' since maybe 2019? Not sure. It felt heavy anyway and there wasn't room for any more.

Ended with various pullups (weighted up to 5kg x 5), one-arm DB rows (up to 35kg x 8), lateral raise (up to 7.5kg x 10) and decline DB curls (7.5kg for lotsa reps because elbows achey). Grand evening

• Advertisement

Squat: 3x3 @ 120kg. Used a belt. Just practicing bracing and all the usuals. Trying to spot why form degrades with a belt but didn't spot anything. Didn't feel great tonight but didn't feel bad either. But i didn't feel weak, so that's good.

Bench: 3x10 @ 70kg. Just some high reps because it's low rep for 6 weeks after this so may as well get the reps in.

Finished with some paused (at the top) pullups and lateral raises.

Week 1 of new program from https://www.minimumdosetraining.com/?ck_subscriber_id=699343651 It's very simple. For main lifts, it's a single at 9-9.5 and then two triples at 80% of the single. Bench has an additional single at 90% of the top single. Squat/bench/deadlift 2x/3x/1x a week. Whatever accessories i feel like.

Squat: 1x1 @ 135kg and 2x3 @ 107.5kg. Something up with my upper back bracing again. Either way, I'm confident 135 was a 9. My ability to rate RPE is crap though so could have been an 8 for all i know. Triples easy.

Bench: 1x1 @ 92.5, 1x1 @ 82.5 and triples @ 75kg. Was hoping 95kg was there today, but it was doubtful. Grand otherwise.

Did two supersets each of leg tempo BW pullups and DB rows/lateral raises.

Also, have a stupid complaint to make. I lost so much weight that my belt is just about too big for me. I'd prefer it to be a tad tighter but I'm on the shortest notch. And that's after a weekend of eating loads of cake. Macrofactor has increased my calories by 133 this week so hopefully i fill it a bit.

Deadlift: Single at 175kg and 2x3 @ 140kg. 170 moved better than expected so went up. Very happy because that's heaviest I've gone in almost 2 years and it wasn't in any doubt.

Bench: Singles @ 95kg and 85kg and 2x3 @ 75kg. Top single was probably a 9 so happy considering how heavy 92.5 felt a few days ago.

Finished with some wide grip barbell rows, hamstring curls and chinups across 3 circuits.

Very happy with my evening.

Squat: Single @ 140kg and 2x3 @ 112.5kg. Figured out upper back issue; had been creating a delt shelf by sticking my elbows back instead of just retracting shoulder blades. 135 went smoothly and was hoping for 145 but 140 was enough of a grind that i considered it RPE 9-9.5 achieved

Bench: Singles @ 95 and 85 and triples @ 75kg. 95 moved so slowly that any attempt at an increase would have needed safeties.

Did two supersets each of leg extensions/BW pullups and DB rows/lateral raises.

Squat: Single @ 142.5kg and 2x3 @ 115kg. 140 felt slow but video looked easy. Just went up 2.5kg and it was definitely slower. Progress!

Bench: Singles @ 95 and 85 and triples @ 75kg. Same again. 95 was far too shaky to attempt anything more in my hands.

Did two supersets each of 40kg goblet squats (leg extension in use)/BW pullups and DB rows/lateral raises.

Deadlift: Single at 180kg and 2x3 @ 145kg. Absolutely delighted. There was more there but I'm trying to stay in the pocket.

Bench: Singles @ 95kg and 85kg and 2x3 @ 75kg. Agaaiiinn. 90 warmup felt awful and the 95 felt ok, but I was still demoralised by how the 90 felt so i opted not to try 97.5. Think I should just bite the bullet and go for it regardless next time.

Finished with circuits of leg curls, bent over reverse fly and chinup

s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

You’re well back on track. What are you weighing these days?

Weighing just under 75kg. Mad considering i had to cut to make 93kg a few years back.

I'm gunning for a 150kg squat. That's 20kg off PR territory but it would be my first 2x BW squat. That'd be a nice box to tick.

Squat: Single @ 145kg and 2x3 @ 115kg. Top single felt way worse than it looked, but video showed it moving ok. Just have to accept everything feels extraordinarily heavy right now.

Bench: Singles @ 97.5 and 87.5 and triples @ 77.5kg. Changed my warmup sets a bit and it made the last warmup @ 90 feel easier, which increased my confidence. And despite fecking up my setup, still completed the single. Happy.

Finished with leg extensions/pullups (managed 12 @BW with room) and DB rows/lateral raises.

• Advertisement

Squat: Single @ 147.5kg and 2x3 @ 117.5kg. Again, felt deathly but looked to move ok. Almost at my short term target weight.

Bench: Singles @ 95 and 85 and triples @ 75kg. Tweaking my warmup sets again but i don't know if it worked against me or not because 95 moved far too slowly for me to think about going up again. Have to remember that RPE training != progressive overload, so taking a step back isn't the end of the world.

Finished off with leg extensions/pullups and DB rows/lateral raises.

Deadlift: Single at 187.5kg and 2x3 @ 150kg. 2.5x BW achieved. Not happy with my start position in the video but happy with the speed. Still room for more.

Bench: Singles @ 100kg and 90kg and 2x3 @ 80kg. Fantastic. It was a grind and I'm not sure if ass kept contact but I'll take it for now.

Finished with 3 circuits of leg curls, bent over reverse fly and chinup

s.

187.5 matches comp PR in 2019. I pulled "190kg" on uncalibrated plates that could have been closer to 180/185. So, I'm not sure.

Buuuttt this week's 187.5 didn't feel like it killed me, unlike my 187.5 from 2019. So that's promising.

Squat: Single @ 150kg and 2x3 @ 120kg. My target weight but looking at the video, my depth wasn't there. At least 1" above. Not even close. So I'm more pissed off than anything else as i had been sinking my warmups. Lots of work to do.

Bench: Singles @ 97.5 and 87.5 and triples @ 77.5kg. 90 was hard and made the right call by not going for 100 again because it definitely wasn't there. No regrets.

Finished off with leg extensions/weighted pullups and DB rows/lateral raises.

That’s a pretty quick return to top form, well done

Exhausting weekend meant I didn't have much hope of feeling 100%.

Squat: Single @ 145kg and 2x3 @ 115kg. Took a step back because I don't want to be a habitual high squatter. The 145 moved difficulty and slowly enough to be a 9-9.5 but I 100% sank it. I'll take it after Friday.

Bench: Singles @ 97.5 and 87.5 and triples @ 77.5kg. Again, right call made and it felt fairly hairy at that.

Finished off with leg extensions/weighted pullups (managed 10kg x 6) and DB rows/lateral raises.

Deadlift: Single at 192.5kg and 2x3 @ 155kg. My form was off again. I think getting to the gym late and warming up quickly is counting against me. But it's still an all-time PR so, yay i guess.

Bench: Singles @ 100kg and 90kg and 2x3 @ 80kg. Tweaked my warmup sets again and this felt better. 100 still slow but moved faster and slightly easier than previous 100.

Finished with 3 circuits of banded 45 hypers, bent over reverse fly and chinups.

Squat: Single @ 145kg and 2x3 @ 115kg. Tweaked my warmups slightly but 145 was far too hard to consider going up. I didn't record it but it felt low enough that depth wasn't a concern. Trying not to be annoyed because not every session will have a weight increase over the previous; just ensuring target RPE is reached.

Bench: Singles @ 100kg, 90kg and triples @ 80kg. This was confidence boosting because I managed 100 two sessions in a row. On my head, I'm trying to normalise this weight so it's not a big achievement and perhaps should be the minimum on a bad day.

Finished off with leg BW pullups and DB rows/lateral raises.

• Advertisement

Had a tiring weekend. Couldn't sleep with the anticipation before and the depression after the rugby. And I wasn't exactly on the squad.

Squat: Single @ 150kg and 2x3 @ 120kg. Actually hit depth this time so I'm definitely counting this as my first 2x BW squat! Rep wasn't good because I stayed too upright on the descent which meant chest leaned forward out of the hole. And bar slipped on one side as i was racking it. But it's fair to say that it should count and i just have to tidy it up before going any heavier.

Bench: Singles @ 97.5kg, 87.5g g triples @ 77.5kg. Last warmup was slow and I scared myself hitting the plate off the safeties when racking the bar, so stayed conservative. No regrets.

Finished off with leg extensions/ BW pullups and DB rows/lateral raises.hv

Advertisement