Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sets of faahve

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Congrats on your pb

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Deadlift: Single at 190kg and 2x3 @ 152.5kg. Start position was good but I immediately lost tightness off rhe floor. Didn't help that i had to rush my warmups again. First time moving back in weight so I'm not overly disappointed. Sh1t happens and I'll just try harder next week.

Bench: Singles @ 100kg and 90kg and 2x3 @ 80kg. Feeling slightly more normal.

Finished with 3 circuits of hamstring curls, bent over reverse fly and chinups.

Squat: Single @ 150kg and 2x3 @ 120kg. Happy to repeat Monday's weight because form was better and it was a tad deeper. It moved slow as hell but it's still an improvement. Weight is not everything.

Bench: Singles @ 95kg, 85g g triples @ 75kg. Last warmup (the95) felt like crap so I left that as my top single. Oh well.

Finished off with leg extensions/pullups and DB rows/lateral raises.

Squat: Single @ 150kg and 2x3 @ 120kg. Warmups felt fantastic and last last warmup @ 140 made me think 152.5/155 was in the bag. However, 150 moved perfectly, but slow as hell. I definitely had room for a small increase in weight but the goal is RPE 9-9.5 and i wasn't 100% sure i would have gotten a second rep in. Was in two minds or not about being a chicken or not but decided to stay happy that I'm slowly normalising 150kg as a working weight.

Bench: Singles @ 100kg, 90g and triples @ 80kg. Top single was a grind and i strained my back, so possibly overshot. The triples feeling overly difficult kinda confirmed this.

Finished off with leg extensions/BW pullups and DB rows/lateral raises.

Unable to train Wednesday so will have to deadlift and bench again tomorrow.

Bringing this a day early because I can't train tomorrow.

Deadlift: Single at 185kg and 2x3 @ 147.5kg. Just felt weak compared to last week. I didn't think one day less rest would have affected me so maybe it just wasn't a good day. Oh well.

Bench: Singles @ 100kg and 90kg and 2x3 @ 80kg. I was really, really surprised that 100 went today. I was fully expecting 95 to be a 9 but it was far too easy. Benching 100 two days in a row has left me chuffed.

Finished with 2 circuits of hamstring curls, bent over reverse fly and chinups.

• Advertisement

Squat: Single @ 152.5kg and 2x3 @ 122.5kg. Warmups felt fantastic but my top single was high. I realised halfway down that my torso was too upright and tried to adjust, but it was too late and I just couldn't get low enough without being thrown forward. Annoyed but I'll just learn from it.

Bench: Singles @ 100kg, 90g and triples @ 80kg. Top single was the worst grind ever. It sat on my chest unevenly so was at a disadvantage from the start. Managed to push through; came as close to failing without actually failing that i can remember doing.

Finished off with leg extensions/BW pullups and DB rows/lateral raises.

End of my 6 weeks of singles and backoffs. Will skip Monday and test on Wednesday.

This was supposed to be test day. However, between birthday and Halloween, I've been eating like a fool and my weight shot up above 77kg. It's mostly bloat that'll go away in a few days so i decided to leave testing until I'm as close to 75kg as is reasonable (just personal goal reasons). Therefore this evening, I'm just greasing the groove with some doubles at 80-85% of what I think is possible on a good day. Will see about testing on Friday.

Squat: 2x2 @ 127.5kg. Form fantastic but not heavy enough to make me notice any breakdown.

Bench: 2x2 @ 90kg. Felt fairly ok. Thought it would be harder.

Deadlift: 3x1 @ 160kg. Couldn't remember how to use my lats until the very last rep. Worrying.

Finished off with some light DB rows, lateral raises and low rep BW pullups.

Test day. Weighed 74.9kg.

Squat: 150kg. Depth was borderline. It felt and looked slow as hell and an absolute grind. But other than that, form wise, it did look perfect. No bodyweight PR. Moving on.

Bench: 100kg. Managed to smack the pins on the way up but still locked out. Could maybe have had another 2.5kg in me but I'm limited for time, so moving on.

Deadlift: 175kg. This felt far, far heavier than 175kg has felt before. Like, i was preparing to drop it. Got seriously annoyed and just repeated it one more time in case it was just a bad rep, and recorded it. It looked fine, form wise but was again just really slow.

Anyway, big anticlimax. I may have been stronger on Wednesday and perhaps should have just gone for it then. As for my deadlift... Well, I've really only been deadlifting once per week so maybe doing some kinda light deadlifts 36 hours before this was a stupid idea. Oh well, hindsight etc.

Anyway, enough of singles. I intend on growing a bit because my frame is too big to be strong at this bodyweight. Have set Macrofactor to bring me up to 80kg by May so we'll see what happens.

Plan for now is go for 2x6 and 1x6+ on main-ish lifts. Starting out with weights i reckon i could do for sets of 8. Will progress in weight if i can get the 8 reps on 3rd set. And some bodybuilder-ish stuff after.

Squat: 6, 6, 10 @ 115kg. Could probably have ground out another rep but was out of breath and was happy with how form felt for that many reps.

Weighted dips: 6, 6, 10 @ 20kg. Harder than the last time I dipped this weight but still happy enough.

Pullups: crap. Managed a set of 6 with 5kg and then a set of 6 unweighted was hard to finish.

Leg extensions/lateral raises: for extensions, I'm trying a tip to flare the toes out at the top to hit the upper quad. I think the weight i picked was too hard to even notice it tbh. Lateral raises meh.

EZ curls/skullcrushers: Managed sets of 20 with 18kg which meant it was far too light. 23kg was harder which is better.

Still trying to figure out what to do with the time that I have.

Bringing this a day early because I can't train tomorrow.

Bench: 6, 6, 8 @ 75kg. Arms still tired from dips yesterday so won't complain.

Stiff leg DL: 3x6 @ 120kg. Found these tough as hell at this weight. First time purposefully trying them. Kept having to stop and reset because I kept resorting to normal start position. And i just felt feckin tired.

Finished with 3x8 on incline DB bench and 3x8 on one arm DB rows

• Advertisement

Paused SSB squat: 6, 6, 10 @ 90kg. Was hoping for 100kg to start but had a pinching pain in my mid back during warmup, so took it a tad easy. Weight felt fine but out of breath. Not surprising.

Weighted dips: 6, 6, 10 @ 22.5kg. Felt a bit better than Monday so went up in weight. Feeling strong.

Lateral raises/pullups: 3 rounds. Got 10kg x 9 in raises and topped at 8 unweighted pullups with a squeeze at the top.

Leg extension/hamstring curls: Sets of 8 up to 70kg/30kg. More room in the extensions but curls were at the max.

Incline DB curl/tricep pressdown: Managed set of 6 @ 15kg on curls (was going to top out at 8 @ 12.5kg but DBs became unavailable) and 8@59kg on triceps.

Storm closure meant no gym this morning. Got to the gym late this evening and had limited time.

Squat: 6, 6, 6 @ 117.5kg. Form felt good and strength was ok, but I found this exhausting. I had the strength for more reps but I wanted to get sick. Annoying but it means this weight gets repeated.

Weighted dips: 6, 6, 9 @ 25kg. Ok. But realised that combined with bodyweight, I'm sort of repping over 100kg. If only that translated directly to bench...

Pullups: crap. 2x8 @ BW. Easy, but rushed.

Leg extensions/lateral raises: Grand. 2 of each.

EZ curls/skullcrushers: 2 rounds @ 23kg.

Went in to do maon lifts and skimp on accessories. Better than nothing.

Bench: 6, 6, 8 @ 77.5kg. Could possibly have squeezed out another but I decided to just take this.

Deadlift: 4x3 @ 140kg. Just trying to drill correct setup. Am guilty of missing hamstring tension off the floor, which is an indicator of lower back being rounded. Weight is fine but challenging enough to show form breakdown for me. And no belt because that's something that hides issues for me.

Incline DB bench/one arm DB rows: 3x8 at around 25kg/32.5kg.

Overall, happy enough with how my form was on everything, but this isn't exactly a whole lot, volume-wise. Form is too important to worry about that though.

Paused SSB squat: 6, 6, 8 @ 100kg. It felt really hard and i wanted to wimp out, but didn't. This variation really kicks my ass. Only 8 reps because of crappy conditioning than lack of strength.

Weighted dips: 6, 6, 9 @ 26.25kg Felt a bit better than Monday so went up in weight. Also remembered i can go up in 1.25 increments.

Lateral raises/pullups: 3 rounds grand.

Leg extension/hamstring curls: 3 rounds, but did some extra reps on last set of extensions via rest stop reps.

Incline DB curl/tricep pressdown: 3 rounds, grand.

Sore in the right places after that.

Squat: 6, 6, 9 @ 117.5kg. Form felt good and I was tired, but didn't wimp out this time. Happy with 9 and it's probably a 9 rep PB. But that would be because I have never taken note of 9 rep maxes before. 10RM is 125 so that'll be something to celebrate when it happens.

Weighted dips: 6, 6, 8 @ 27.5kg. Slowly reaching my limit here.

Pullups: 6, 6, 9 @ 5kg. Felt good and ended up with a 9RM. Yay, i guess?

EZ curls/skullcrushers: 3x8 @ 25.5kg.

Leg extensions/lateral raises: 3 rounds and ok.

Considering i spent most of the weekend building IKEA furniture and having an achey back, I'm surprised how good this morning felt.

Bench: 6, 6, 8 @ 80kg. After rep 7 o thought this was going to go to 9-10 reps but then rep 8 hit like a truck. Still happy.

RDL: 4x6 @ 120kg. Still trying to drill correct setup but also trying to get some volume in. This weight was easy, but heavy enough that deficiencies in form should have shown, so good practice.

Incline DB bench/one arm DB rows: 4x8 at around 25kg/35k

g.

Paused SSB squat: 6, 6, 6 @ 102.5kg. I just felt weak. Every rep was tough. Wanted to quit after 3 reps in the last set.

Weighted dips: 6, 6, 8 @ 28.75kg. Barely finished last rep. Will go up because this plate layout (25 bumper + 2.5 + 1.25) is awkward.

Lateral raises/pullups: 3 rounds grand.

Leg extension/hamstring curls: 3 rounds, and rest stops on both.

Incline DB curl/tricep pressdown: 3 rounds, grand.

Feeling under the weather (relating to Saturday pints) so unsure if i should even show up or just rest this morning. Decided to go and get something done.

Squat: 6, 6, 8 @ 120kg. Everything felt surprisingly good. Very happy with this, all things considered.

Weighted dips: 6, 6 @ 30kg. 2nd set was a grinder so i just left it at that.

Pullups: 10, 10 @ BW. Decided against weighted because of how energy was.

Leg extensions/lateral raises: 1 round and I was absolutely wiped.

Have a feeling i have a cold because of how quickly my energy dropped. Maybe gym this morning was a bad idea. Will reassess on Wednesday if i should avoid spreading anything and stay home to rest.

Turns out I had COVID. Negative test so back in the gym now.

Squat: 6, 6, 2 @ 120kg. Was ambitious about going back to my previous weight but it absolutely drained me. Body said nope on 3rd set so decided to ease off. Today's not the day to push anything.

Lateral raises/lat pulldowns: 3x10 @ something submaximal.

Leg press: 3x10 @ something submaximal again.

Body definitely not 100%. It's towards the end of the year and had been planning on taking 1-2 weeks off around Christmas so there could be worse times to be like this.

Had a chance to train AM instead of PM, which is a nice change for a Wednesday.

Bench: 6, 6, 9 @ 75kg. First time benching in 2 weeks so took it easy and didn't go up in weight. Also experimenting with slightly closer grip; will try a few more times before deciding to stick with it.

Paused DL: 3x3 @ 140kg. Just wanted to slow things down to focus on form. I'm finding it hard to be consistent with my upper back/lats but at least there's consistency with the hinge and abdominal bracing. Strength wise, this felt heavy regardless of pause. Was tempted to YOLO some sumo, but I resisted.

Incline DB bench/one arm DB rows: 4x10/8 at 20kg/32.5kg. Felt weaker than last time I was doing this.

Definitely not back to 100% but sure, at least I'm alive.

• Advertisement

Pause squat: 6, 6, 8 @ 100kg. Felt weak. Did my best under the circumstances.

Dip/pullup: 6, 6, 10/6, 6, 6 @ 20kg/BW. Was conservative with weight for the dips but they felt stronger than expected. Pullups ok.

Leg extension/hamstring curl: grand

Tricep pushdown/incline curl/lateral raises: hard

Feel like strength is getting back but it's almost Christmas break. Oh well

Squat: 4x4 @ 130kg. Felt good and had 130x4 in my head this morning. And with Christmas coming up and training going out the window, so did any resemblance of a plan. 130 felt good and there was more in the tank.

Dip/pullups: 3x6/8 @ 25kg/BW. Slowly getting back to where I was.

Leg extensions/lateral raises: 3x8/10. Grand.

Ez skullcrushers/curls: 3x8/8 @ 25.5kg. Grand.

The stars aligned this morning. Now if only I had been going for a PR...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

How come you’re taking a break over Xmas?

Because I don't have a home gym 😀

Gym has reduced hours and I'll be doing extra christmassey things like visiting family, bringing kids places, etc. I could possibly fit in half-arsed sessions at random here and there but tbh, just taking a break and coming back without distractions in the new year seems like a better use of my time

Missed Wednesday due to life. I'm planning on training today and Monday and that's it until January, so mixing things up a little.

Paused squat: 2x3 @ 100kg. I purposely used a slippy Oly bar with my slippy hoodie to see how secure the bar was on my back and ensure a recent upper back bracing tweak was working. It is. Good.

Sumo deadlift: 3x3 @ 160kg. I actually started with conv but I just wanted to see how sumo felt after not doing it for 2 years and not training for anything right now means it's as good a time as any. It's fine. What i like over conv is how I can be more consistent with setup between reps. With conv, i have to shift my hips back and forth to hinge properly and get hamstring tension (which takes time) but I don't seem to need that with sumo.

CG incline bench: Sets of 5 @ 60, 65, 60, 65kg. Was switching back and forth between weights because it was always too light/heavy. Destroyed my shoulders.

DB rows/lateral raises: 3 circuits. Did standing, bent over rows instead of one-arm just to see what it's like. I liked, but didn't know what weight to use so probably went too light. Shoulders fried from the incline bench.

Tricep pushdown/cable curl: 3 circuits and never sure what weight to use for the curls because this is the first time doing this variation.

Squat: 2x1 @ 140kg and 1x12 @ 100kg. Was hoping that a triple at 140kg would be on the cards as something nice to close out the year but although it moved well, i foresaw something bad happening if another two reps were attempted.

Bench: 2x5 @ 85kg. Haven't benched much recently but pleasantly surprised i was able to do this.

Leg extensions/curls: 3 circuits, grand. I managed to hit hamstrings harder by keeping my chest up while lying down. My hips had a tendency to rise when it got hard so this prevents it.

DB rows/lateral raises: 3 circuits and grand.

No time for any bis/tris.

Bye bye gym, hello whiskey and celebrations/roses/heroes

First day back, so taking it easy.

Squat: 3x5 @ 100kg. Beltless. Grand. Thought it would be harder.

Bench: 3x5 @ 75kg. Grand.

CG incline bench: 3x5 @ 60kg. Grand.

Pullups: 1x10. Was going to do an amrap and expected around 8. Was very happy my pullups strength is there.

Lateral raise: 1x15 @ 5kg. Something quick.

Cable pushdown/curl: 3 circuits for bis/tris. Grand.

Just testing the waters a bit more.

Sumo deadlift: 3x5 @ 130kg. Just drilling tight setup and positioning. This weight is far harder than with conv so practise practise practise.

Paused SSB: 2x5 @ 90kg. Changed stance and descent pattern so I'm getting max depth. Usually do it as close to straight bar squat but going for max knee flexion.

Hamstring curls: 5x8-10 @ whatever is hard. Grand.

Chest supported row: 4x8 at up to 35kg. Hate chest supported stuff but gotta man up.

Lateral raises/EZ curls: 3 circuits. Grand.

Squat: 1x5 @ 112.5kg and 4x5 @ 102.5kg. Grand.

RDL: 2x5 @ 110kg. Only warmed up with 100kg and that felt way heavier than expected. Had planned on doing 120 but in the end, 110 was too easy.

Leg extensions/DB rows: 5 circuits @ something hard. Grand.

EZ skullcrushers//curls: 3x8 @ 28kg. Skullcrushers weight PR... Probably

Lateral raises: 2x10 .

Could have been far worse.

• Advertisement

Bench: 1x5 @ 75kg and 4x5 @ 70kg. Easy

CG incline bench/chinups: 3x5 @ 60, 62.5, 65kg/AMRAPs with 12, 10, 8. Inclines far harder than flat bench.

OHP//pullups: 3x5 @ 45kg/AMRAPs with 6, 5, 5. Happy with OHP weight considering I hadn't done this in months. Pullups were crap but unsurprising after the chinups.

Cable pushdown/curl: 3x8-10 @ something hard.

Facepulls: 1x15. Hadn't planned on doing these but had more time than expected.

Advertisement