Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Account Locked

• 15-12-2016 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering a friend owes me money. He's trying to say he can't pay it as his account was locked with no explanation.

I'm pretty sure he's trying to pull a fast one or could this actually happen ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

If the bank suspect he has been involved in certain activities such as fraud or money laundering they may place a hold on his account while they investigate.

He would not be given an explanation either so it's possible.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

amcalester wrote: »
    If the bank suspect he has been involved in certain activities such as fraud or money laundering they may place a hold on his account while they investigate.

In that instance tho the friend would still be able to go into a bank and withdraw cash from their account with valid ID etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

Any other situations where it would happen ?

I'd be very sure they would not be involved with anything like that

jonnycivic wrote: »
    In that instance tho the friend would still be able to go into a bank and withdraw cash from their account with valid ID etc?

Not necessarily, from experience (working in the UK) it would be up to the fraud department, sometimes when this happened they would allow over the counter cash withdrawals of funds that were in the account before the suspicious transaction. Other times they wouldn't.
    siobhan08 wrote: »
    Any other situations where it would happen ?

I'd be very sure they would not be involved with anything like that

There are loads of situations where it could happen and it doesn't always mean that the account holder has done anything wrong. It could be a suspicious transaction that is totally legit but triggered an alert within the bank.

There would usually be a timeline that the bank has to stick to but I'm not sure what that is.

Not necessarily, from experience (working in the UK) it would be up to the fraud department, sometimes when this happened they would allow over the counter cash withdrawals of funds that were in the account before the suspicious transaction. Other times they wouldn't.

There are loads of situations where it could happen and it doesn't always mean that the account holder has done anything wrong. It could be a suspicious transaction that is totally legit but triggered an alert within the bank.

There would usually be a timeline that the bank has to stick to but I'm not sure what that is.

Surely if the was a suspicious transaction on the account the customer would be contacted to verify the transaction as soon as the alert was was triggered instead of locking the account.

At least that is what happened with me when the bank noticed anything odd on my account.

He's a complete bull****ter so i really think he's trying to pull a fast one

• Advertisement

Depends on the type of transaction. Debit Card transaction would be one where the bank will call the customer to confirm.

EFT into the account that has been linked to a donedeal scam or similar then the customer won't be told anything.

Depends on the type of transaction. Debit Card transaction would be one where the bank will call the customer to confirm.

EFT into the account that has been linked to a donedeal scam or similar then the customer won't be told anything.

I really don't think he would have been involved in anything doggy. We are both students

Advertisement