Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arlene Foster and the RHI scandal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Sinn Fein display why they'll never get into power down south

Double standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

It's all smoke and mirrors. (You get the mirrors by using the solar panel grant)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

As predicted and underlined by something out of the blue, Arlene's career is likely to be a short one. She seems to have an uncanny knack of finding cul de sacs and ends up enflaming people rather than doing anything constructive.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/newton-emerson-arlene-foster-burns-in-fire-of-own-making-1.2911971

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Sinn Fein completely messed it up. Should have kept out of it, instead they just united the DUP and shut the whole thing down. Mcguinness is an incompetent idiot, he should resign too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sinn Fein completely messed it up. Should have kept out of it, instead they just united the DUP and shut the whole thing down. Mcguinness is an incompetent idiot, he should resign too.
    Dunno. Now the DUP are all coming out to a protect Foster. If and when she is found out, how will the DUP look?
    However, I think McGuinness had as deputy to take the stance he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

lol, and if they didn't say anything you'd be complaining that they were playing politics or some such nonsense.

kbannon wrote: »
    Dunno.  Now the DUP are all coming out to a protect Foster. If and when she is found out, how will the DUP look?
    However, I think McGuinness had as deputy to take the stance he did.
    It just solidified the DUP base, no one is going to listen to an ex terrorist tell them what to do.

They listened to Peter Robinson for long enough.

It just solidified the DUP base, no one is going to listen to an ex terrorist tell them what to do.
    Nonetheless, it will piss off a lot of DUP fans who will possibly migrate back to UUP. This will erode away at the DUP majority which may result in SF being the majority party up there.

• Advertisement

Nonetheless, it will piss off a lot of DUP fans who will possibly migrate back to UUP. This will erode away at the DUP majority which may result in SF being the majority party up there.
    Could do, I voted UUP last May but she lost out. The DUP are under more scrutiny in the Unionist community than Sinn Fein are in the Republican community, it seems that way anyway.

Were not the DUP the party of fiscal rectitude and moral integrity?

If Bell was guided by God in his answers what is Arlene saying about God's guidance?

Despite the fact that the loudest calls for her resignation are coming from the UUP she pulls the 'I'm a victim' of SF card/deflection?
    http://www.thejournal.ie/arlene-foster-explainer-3169345-Jan2017/?utm_source=shortlink

Apparently it's all just a simple case of republican mysigeniy by the left wing.... [rolleyes]

At least that's what I picked up from the sound bytes the morning.

Mysoginy article here...
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/arlene-foster-says-calls-to-stand-down-motivated-by-misogyny-1.2925274

I can see what she means though. Some people are saying that she is incompetent whilst others are saying that she is corrupt. To use the word "she" is a terrible attack on her character!

The attempt to rabble raise again is shocking.
    It’s not secret that in my childhood the IRA tried to murder my father. It’s no secret that in the past the IRA put a bomb on my school bus. So do I really think that I’m going to step aside at the behest of Sinn Féin? No I’m not.

Prove there is nothing to answer for here Arlene, then point fingers elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It's a new low for Northern politics (which is shocking considering how low it has stooped in the past) for a politician to use 1) such a blatant cry to sectarianism, and 2) play the "sexism" card to try and distract from corruption.

That sky allowed her to soapbox like that without asking one tough question on the actual scandal is a disgrace. Shows they'd rather have a nice soundbite they can play on repeat all day rather than do any real journalism.

They likely had no idea whether any of the claims were true or false as most British media outlets don't know where northern Ireland is and know very little about its internal politics.

They likely had no idea whether any of the claims were true or false as most British media outlets don't know where northern Ireland is and know very little about its internal politics.

So they should investigate before allowing her that platform. Aka journalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I haven't followed this controversy in great detail, but when I hear a female politician playing the oppressed female card I know that that politician is in trouble and that she knows it.

It happened years ago here when Dick Spring wiped the floor with PD leader Mary Harney in an election tv debate. The followiing day Liz O'Donnell was on tv to tell us that Dick Spring had been sexist in the debate.

Any female politician who peddles that nonsense should never get another vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

People dislike her because she's incompetent not because she's a woman.

It's actually quite demeaning towards women in general the way she has pulled this 'damsel in distress' victim card instead of taking responsibility for her own failings.

People dislike her because she's incompetent not because she's a woman.

It's actually quite demeaning towards women in general the way she has pulled this 'damsel in distress' victim card instead of taking responsibility for her own failings.

The more dangerous thing is the playing to the DUP/unionist rabble, with the suggestion that SF see her as some sort of target.
    Almost criminal that it is allowed.

Have the UUP made any public statement on the Cash for Ash scandal?
    Did they say anything in the last day or so about Foster's mysoginy claim?

Have the UUP made any public statement on the Cash for Ash scandal?
    Did they say anything in the last day or so about Foster's mysoginy claim?

Nesbitt has called for her resignation ( not stepping aside) but Arlene is playing to the rabble trying to suggest it is SF trying to get her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Martin McGuinness is stepping down as deputy first minister.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Martin McGuinness is stepping down as deputy first minister.

Wow. Really surprised at that but I guess it had to be done. No way could they just carry on as if nothing happened.

What now? Elections? Is the whole GFA and executive in trouble?

Jayop wrote: »
    Wow. Really surprised at that but I guess it had to be done. No way could they just carry on as if nothing happened.

What now? Elections? Is the whole GFA and executive in trouble?

Elections I would say.

DUP going to the people after RHI and Arlene's mess re Brexit with Arlene still leading. Political Hari Kari imo.

Elections I would say.

DUP going to the people after RHI and Arlene's mess re Brexit with Arlene still leading. Political Hari Kari imo.

They'll still be the biggest party. They were only ever a one issue party and for the majority of their voters that one issue is the biggest thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Big political opportunity for SF now. Hard to see Foster surviving this with Brexit and the RHI debacle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

They'll still be the biggest party. They were only ever a one issue party and for the majority of their voters that one issue is the biggest thing.

Maybe not as the UUP might start to make up ground amongst unionist voters. As the reality of brexit sets in and people realise that they are going to be a lot worse off the DUP will be a hard sell. SF could end up the largest party as the DUP and UUP scrap it out

I think that SF will push out the spin doctors with a view to helping DUP fans to move elsewhere (UUP?) so that SF become the larger party.
    In the 2016 Assembly elections the DUP had 29.4% of votes whereas SF had 24%.

Maybe not as the UUP might start to make up ground amongst unionist voters. As the reality of brexit sets in and people realise that they are going to be a lot worse off the DUP will be a hard sell. SF could end up the largest party as the DUP and UUP scrap it out

SF / UUP coalition probably, with SF most likely in the driving seat. Of course, that all depends on how badly the UUP or any others, want to get into government...

Yeh, dogfight in Unionism coming up. Dog will eat dog.

Awaiting the next Gerry Ate My Hamster story or arrest. :D

He only resigned because he is ill, nothing to do with scandal, just a perfect chance to get out. Thankfully that is the last we will see of this idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭whatstherush

Imagine the **** that will hit the fan if elections are called and in the meantime before they happen, the UK supreme court rules NI executive has an veto on article 50 notification #FunTimes

The unionists will not accept SF as the biggest party if it were to happen. No way and they'd collapse the institution rather than see McGuinness as first minister.

The unionists will not accept SF as the biggest party if it were to happen. No way and they'd collapse the institution rather than see McGuinness as first minister.
    Who cares, the system is broken anyway, nothing gets done. It is probably the worst form of government in the Western world. I am not voting this time, they are all incompetent idiots.

He only resigned because he is ill, nothing to do with scandal, just a perfect chance to get out. Thankfully that is the last we will see of this idiot.

Haha, you must be worried when you're posting this level of nonsense.

• Advertisement

DUP man not voting?
    I'm sure SF will be delighted to hear that. That is as good as a vote for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I'm a bit surprised by this tbh. I don't pay too much attention to NI politics but he always seemed eager to at least moderate his views to reach out to Unionists. I mean just this month he had an approval rating among unionists within 10% of Arlene Foster. Meanwhile she single handedly orchestrated the absolute disaster of an RHI scheme that amounted to 5% of the country's GDP which is absolutely astronomical.

Anita Blow wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised by this tbh. I don't pay too much attention to NI politics but he always seemed eager to at least moderate his views to reach out to Unionists. I mean just this month he had an approval rating among unionists within 10% of Arlene Foster. Meanwhile she single handedly orchestrated the absolute disaster of an RHI scheme that amounted to 5% of the country's GDP which is absolutely astronomical.

If you read some more of ponys posts very little will surprise you.

Anita Blow wrote: »

ALP can't think of anything else to try to deflect from the crisis facing the DUP now. And Unionism in general.

McGuinness is ill, but if he was going to resign because of it, he was far sicker at the start of Dec.

He has insisted today that the resignation has nothing to do with his health. Do with that what you will.

I suppose it, if untrue or even partly untrue, is designed to focus on the DUP story rather than create a new, SF and healthy candidates, one.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Not Propaganda

He is ill and doesn't look well but that's not what has triggered this. Just absolute arrogance from Arlene Foster with this whole situation. The Shinners handed it on a plate as well! Just step down temporarily while the investigation is carried out, not even a full public inquiry or anything. But no. What a fool.

• Advertisement

He is ill and doesn't look well but that's not what has triggered this. Just absolute arrogance from Arlene Foster with this whole situation. The Shinners handed it on a plate as well! Just step down temporarily while the investigation is carried out, not even a full public inquiry or anything. But no. What a fool.

I was fairly sure she was going to destroy her own career, but she seems intent in destroying the whole party. :)

Haha, you must be worried when you're posting this level of nonsense.
    https://twitter.com/BBCMarkSimpson/status/818480087183953920

I was told he was seen in a cancer unit by someone well before Christmas.

I'm not denying he has health issues. It's still nonsense to say it has nothing to do with the RHI scandal.

DUP man not voting?
    I'm sure SF will be delighted to hear that. That is as good as a vote for them.
    I voted UUP in 2015.

I'm not denying he has health issues. It's still nonsense to say it has nothing to do with the RHI scandal.
    Perfect chance for him to do it now. And besides, nothing will change in an election anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement