Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arlene Foster and the RHI scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,244 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sinn Fein are in government in the south? Sinn Fein haven't got a hope of being elected to govern the Republic. The people just don't trust them with the economy and running the country.

They do actually - as part of a coalition and I think you will see that sooner rather than later tbh.
    Kenny is about to go and Gerry will go soon, FF will do whatever it takes to get power (as proven many times before) so it will be all change on that front.
    'haven't a hope' is way way off the mark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Sinn Fein are in government in the south? Sinn Fein haven't got a hope of being elected to govern the Republic. The people just don't trust them with the economy and running the country.

They do actually - as part of a coalition and I think you will see that sooner rather than later tbh.
    Kenny is about to go and Gerry will go soon, FF will do whatever it takes to get power (as proven many times before) so it will be all change on that front.
    'haven't a hope' is way way off the mark.
    In 10 years time I bet Sinn Fein are still not in government in the South. 
    RicePat wrote: »
    Sinn Fein like to talk about outreach to Unionists and Protestants but then just the other day that god awful human called Alex Maskey was courting the IRA for praise among his cohorts. How on earth he expects to win over Protestant Unionists by saying such things is beyond me.

No Unionist believes in them. At least be honest and stick to your message, they talk from both sides of the mouth.

I have taken part in the outreach programmes and they are a genuine attempt to heal divisions, particularly the uncomfortable conversations project. Look at John O'Dowd's final speech in the Assembly where he said he was proud to work alongside his unionist brothers and sisters. Martin McGuinness met the english queen FFS.
    Thankfully, most of the people who actually engage in these initiatives do not slap the outstretched hand away like you seem to be so keen to do.

No idea what youre referring to with Alex Maskey, the IRA went on ceasefire 20 years ago, disarmed 15 years ago and ceased to exist more than 10 years ago
    He should act like it then, not glorify them while trying outreach to the same people they murdered. No one takes it seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭RicePat

He should act like it then, not glorify them while trying outreach to the same people they murdered. No one takes it seriously.

Well I've just pointed out to you that lots of people of a more reconciliatory mindset do take it seriously and engage with it and put a lot of effort into those engagements.

What is this Alex Maskey thing? I've googled it and cant find any trace of Maskey "courting" the decade long defunct IRA.

Regarding the actual topic, Arlene has released a new election broadcast today featuring her playing with children and a much softer tone. Though she still leaves the auld "Gerry Adams is coming to gobble you up" nonsense to Nigel Dodds. Bit late to be rowing back on your entire campaign at this stage. They must not be getting the response they'd hoped for.

I'll take that bet. It's a no-brainer watching the shapes they are all throwing.
    Will have an impact on NI too.

What is the problem now? Republicans honouring their dead?
    Unionists need to get over that. You lost the right to veto- flags, marches etc.
    You honour your own and let others do the same. Respect, it is called in normal society post conflict.

I'll take that bet. It's a no-brainer watching the shapes they are all throwing.
    Will have an impact on NI too.

What is the problem now? Republicans honouring their dead?
    Unionists need to get over that. You lost the right to veto- flags, marches etc.
    You honour your own and let others do the same. Respect, it is called in normal society post conflict.
    Don't expect votes then. Simple as that.

You are not voting. Why would you care?

Well this is the problem. You have people voting for the DUP, who dont agree with them socially or economically, but continue to do so because of a constitutional issue that will not be settled in the institution they are electing them to.

It's madness, and it goes to show just how ingrained the old fenian fear is in some people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

Well this is the problem. You have people voting for the DUP, who dont agree with them socially or economically, but continue to do so because of a constitutional issue that will not be settled in the institution they are electing them to.

It's madness, and it goes to show just how ingrained the old fenian fear is in some people.
    It's like the brain dead crowd down here who'll vote for FF regardless of what what they do including bankrupting the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

Polling seems to be good in most areas, if so it will hurt the DUP and no loss.

• Advertisement

Turnout predicted to be over 60%.

Whatever way it turns out that is a good thing. Never ceases to amaze me that people won't vote and then dare to have an opinion about what happens around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Aye not voting sickens me. People died for the right to vote and other can't get off the couch for half an hour. They're a disgrace.

Jayop wrote: »
    Aye not voting sickens me. People died for the right to vote and other can't get off the couch for half an hour. They're a disgrace.

Totally agree. At least go down and spoil your vote. 45% not voting says nothing but if almost 45% of ballots were spoiled, that would be a huge warning to the establishment

Its not shameful to not vote for this sham. Maybe the Trump effect is happening

Yes it is. Your opinion has no value. You are a hurler on the ditch.

Yes it is. Your opinion has no value. You are a hurler on the ditch.
    Nothing is changing anyway, so what are you on about.

• Advertisement

How do you expect 'change' if the people with the power to affect that change sit on their backsides at home?

It isn't hard to understand.
    Your opinions going forward are valueless.

How do you expect 'change' if the people with the power to affect that change sit on their backsides at home?

Exactly, at least spoil your vote, imagine the message a few hundred thousand spoiled ballots would send

Turnout for Fermanagh South Tyrone is 72.61%. Up from 64.55% last year, that is amazing in itself.
    64.78% turnout overall a 10 point increase on last time.

Yet some sat on their couches. Imagine how NI could be changed if they bothered.

SF sweeping the boards in West belafast.

BBC analysts claiming on those figures that they may be close to 30 seats.

Why would I vote for a system which I don't believe in?

• Advertisement

You are the reason SF have made the massive gain they have, simple as that.
    By not registering your opinion you effectively voted for the winners. Think about it.

You are the reason SF have made the massive gain they have, simple as that.
    By not registering your opinion you effectively voted for the winners. Think about it.
    Which party will win?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It's hilarious that someone who essentially only posts on ni politics says they don't vote.

Which party will win?

It is quite clear already that SF will massively increase their mandate. You haven't objected to that mandate by registering your opinion. Effectively, you are a SF voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Great to see such a high turnout with a new face youthful fronting SF (my username will give it away but not a supporter). Congratulations to her.

UUP/SDLP pact seems to have backfired big time. Will be a long time before the north moves to the middle ground.

Mike Nesbitt is an idiot by shafting his party. DUP couldn't believe their luck and could be a big reason why the DUP win most seats.

Mike Nesbitt is an idiot by shafting his party. DUP couldn't believe their luck and could be a big reason why the DUP win most seats.

Not a loaded question at all as I don't follow this forum. If you are interested in politics why did you not vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is Mike Nesbitt at fault for this election turning into Green/Orange issue again instead of keeping the focus on RHI and the other failures at Stormont?

Looks like UUP tanking and Alliance making gains.

Not a loaded question at all as I don't follow this forum. If you are interested in politics why did you not vote?
    No one inspired me enough.

He doesn't want 'control' it seems although he is all for taking back control from the EU. Bit of a paradox going on.

• Advertisement

He doesn't want 'control' it seems although he is all for taking back control from the EU. Bit of a paradox going on.
    Brexit vote was much more important than this election. These elections come about all the time.

Brexit vote was much more important than this election. These elections come about all the time.

All elections are important. You cannot pick and choose which ones you can be arsed voting in.

It's completely realistic that SF will be the largest party in the assembly. Like many recent elections I think the unpopularity of both Unionist offerings might surprise.

I own a property and run a business in the north (largely unionist area) and if anybody seriously thinks Brexit is good for NI they will very shortly get what they deserve.

It's completely realistic that SF will be the largest party in the assembly. Like many recent elections I think the unpopularity of both Unionist offerings might surprise.

I own a property and run a business in the north (largely unionist area) and if anybody seriously thinks Brexit is good for NI they will very shortly get what they deserve.
    Freedom comes at a price, history tells us that. SF 28-29, DUP 28-32 seats. Early yet.

Freedom comes at a price, history tells us that. SF 28-29, DUP 28-32 seats. Early yet.

Find it strange that you have such strong opinions on something you don't contribute to or believe in.

Donald J. Trump has just been elected against the wishes of the "establishment". Whatever about the bogus American system you cannot deny the power of democracy. It's visible now probably more than ever.

UUP deputy leader looks likely to lose his seat.
    Voters have gone to the extremes as usual when the pressure is on.
    However, UUP and SDLP are not the parties they one were and Alliance really only have one/two good figure head members and are mostly considered to only be strong in the east of NI, so you can see why things are panning out like this.

I think it is time for a new moderate party to take on the two extremes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Its pretty depressing, to be honest.

Bring back NI21!

But you said youre a conservative. The conservatives ran in this election. Which is it :confused:

• Advertisement

Great to see such a high turnout with a new face youthful fronting SF (my username will give it away but not a supporter). Congratulations to her.

UUP/SDLP pact seems to have backfired big time. Will be a long time before the north moves to the middle ground.

I dont get this "middle ground" cliche. SF went above and beyond to try and make the Assembly work. They agreed to a union flag over Belfast City Hall when they could have pulled it down altogether, they met the English Queen, they compromised on welfare reform rather than let the Assembly collapse.
    After the last election the first actions of DUP Ministers were to change a fenian sounding name on a boat and reintroduce academic selection. The first actions of SF Ministers were all social issues, Scrapping the DUP's gay blood ban, ringfencing an extra £90m for health and investing an extra £10m in rural road maintenance.
    What exactly is "extreme" about all this?

DUP vote held. Sadly they'll be the biggest party AND, most gutting of all, keep their hold on the petition of concern. Hopefully SF can make it one of their negotiating points because their use of it has been disgusting.

100% agree with you on Brexit. Shows the strength of sectarianism within unionism that they can actually get people to vote against their own interests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Foster gone to the second count... id give anything to see her not get her seat.

DUP vote held. Sadly they'll be the biggest party AND, most gutting of all, keep their hold on the petition of concern. Hopefully SF can make it one of their negotiating points because their use of it has been disgusting.

100% agree with you on Brexit. Shows the strength of sectarianism within unionism that they can actually get people to vote against their own interests
    lol, anytime Unionism is the top party like the DUP it must be sectarian. It exists, yes, but you don't hear Sinn Fein opponents saying that about Sinn Fein if they win seats. West Belfast would vote for a pony with a SF badge on it, why can't East Belfast?

twinytwo wrote: »
    Foster gone to the second count... id give anything to see her not get her seat.
    The woman should resign in absolute shame. Horrific leader and is not moving the DUP forward by strengthening the DUP vote. I'll be asking my local MP to ask her to resign or hopefully the DUP rounds on her. The bigger issue is more important than her and I'm sure she would agree herself.

lol, anytime Unionism is the top party like the DUP it must be sectarian. It exists, yes, but you don't hear Sinn Fein opponents saying that about Sinn Fein if they win seats. West Belfast would vote for a pony with a SF badge on it, why can't East Belfast?

:) SF unseated a PBP (a poll topper last time round) and Alex Atwood SDLP lost a seat this time.

Clearly you are completely wrong about what West Belfast votes for.

• Advertisement

The woman should resign in absolute shame. Horrific leader and is not moving the DUP forward by strengthening the DUP vote. I'll be asking my local MP to ask her to resign or hopefully the DUP rounds on her. The bigger issue is more important than her and I'm sure she would agree herself.

Why would they care what 'you' say, you didn't vote. You do get the idea of 'standing for election'?

I dont get this "middle ground" cliche. SF went above and beyond to try and make the Assembly work. They agreed to a union flag over Belfast City Hall when they could have pulled it down altogether, they met the English Queen, they compromised on welfare reform rather than let the Assembly collapse.
    After the last election the first actions of DUP Ministers were to change a fenian sounding name on a boat and reintroduce academic selection. The first actions of SF Ministers were all social issues, Scrapping the DUP's gay blood ban, ringfencing an extra £90m for health and investing an extra £10m in rural road maintenance.
    What exactly is "extreme" about all this?

You are showing your bias here.

Where did I mention the word "extreme".?

My first comment congratulated Michelle O'Neill on the great gains she has made for SF? I have great respect for MMcG.

When they stop selling sectarian material on their website they can begin to accuse others of sectarianism.

Sinn Fein is not progressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭twinytwo

1/3 of the seats counted - SF 14 - DUP 8 - long way to go but could get interesting.

Direct Rule is coming, so this is all irrelevant.

The difference in percentage share of the first preference vote is predicted to be down to 1%.

Says it all about Arlene's leadership.

• Advertisement
Advertisement