Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skilled Migration Visa Question

• 15-12-2016 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm in a bit of a pickle.

Looking at moving to Melbourne semi long term and figured the 190 State sponsored visa or the 489 suited me and my boyfriend the best.
    I'm not worried about his application as he has plenty of experience in what he does.

As it stands, I have to finish college and wont be finished until May 2017. I've been working in social care related fields for the previous 3.5 years. I worked with an agency in hospitals and nursing homes for just over three years, and only moved to a "proper" social care role in November of this year. I work between two residential houses for people with disabilities and would be looking at doing something similar in Aus.

I've just spoken to a migration officer who told me I need 1 years post qualification experience at the time of application for the visa OR three out of the last 5 years working in the sector. Which means I wont hit that 1 years experience until May 2018. I'm wondering would I be able to incorporate my hospital/agency experience into my application? In order to meet the requirements?

My only other options at the moment are - WHV for 1 year and worry about it after that or get a sponsored employer to get visa - but the visa will only last as long as the employment contract.

Any advice at all would be muchly appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

There are no shortcuts with immigration in Australia. They are quite strict and bending the truth/telling lies is never a good option. If you don't have that 1 year post grad experience its pointless trying. Most visa applications for PR go into a lot of detail for personal information like everywhere you've travelled in the past 10 years and why you travelled there, immediate family names, DOB etc, they'd probably ask for proof of graduating too which wouldn't prove you have the 1 year post grad experience.

If your boyfriend can get a 190 or 489 you can be submitted on his visa once you can prove you are in a defacto relationship for at least 12 months.

Again if you came on the WHV and your partner had his 190/489 then you could get onto his visa using the time living here in Australia as proof of a defacto relationship.

The best people to talk to are migration agents. They can be good for advice but not worth paying to sort out your visa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭92Grainne1992

Thanks for replying.

I also totally forgot to mention I completed a FETAC level 5 and then worked with a healthcare agency for the three years, but that still wouldn't qualify as disability experience would it?

I'll get onto a migration agent on Monday, thanks very much again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Again, just flick an email to the authority/body that assess your qualifications. They are usually well used to receiving requests for verification of qualifications for the purpose of migration visas (my assessing body has a specific page/section dedicated to this).

Call or email migration agents and ask the questions and let them think you are keen to use their services to get the information. Migration agents generally charge a few thousand $'s just to fill in the forms for you.

Even just calling immigration here in Australia and they will tell you exactly what you need to know. Despite them being very strict with visas, the people working there are generally really nice and helpful when you get through.....which can take a while so its best to call literally the moment their phone lines open in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Thanks for replying.

I also totally forgot to mention I completed a FETAC level 5 and then worked with a healthcare agency for the three years, but that still wouldn't qualify as disability experience would it?

I'll get onto a migration agent on Monday, thanks very much again :)

Is there any reason why you can't go on your boyfriend's visa? If you can then your qualifications are irrelevant.
    You have said you are not worried about his application as he has plenty of experiencing in what he does so why are you submitting separate applications. Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭92Grainne1992

aido79 wrote: »
    why are you submitting separate applications. Or am I missing something?

No not at all I just figured we'd need to get two separate visas. We don't live together or anything at the moment would it be difficult to organise that? I'm gunna try for my own skilled visa and if that doesn't work going on his might be an option :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

No not at all I just figured we'd need to get two separate visas. We don't live together or anything at the moment would it be difficult to organise that? I'm gunna try for my own skilled visa and if that doesn't work going on his might be an option :)

To be honest I wouldn't advise anyone to do it the way you thinking of doing it. There is a chance that one of the visas may not be granted, they might be granted 6 months apart or something, the cost would be more of less double which would add 1000's of euros to the cost of the process...there are so many reasons not to apply seperately. If you are in relationship and intend to move to Australia together then I can't think of a single reason why you would wish to submit seperate applications.

Here is some info on defacto relationships for visas:

https://www.border.gov.au/about/corporate/information/fact-sheets/35relationship

including a section on living together:

Living together

Living together is regarded as a common element in most on-going relationships. It is recognised that, for various reasons, couples may sometimes have to live apart. Provided the separation is temporary and the couple had, at some point since commencement of the relationship lived together, their relationship might still satisfy the requirements of a de facto relationship.
    For this reason, the one year relationship criterion does not require the couple to have physically lived together for the entire 12 months, but rather to have been in a de facto relationship for that period.
    Partners who are currently not living together may be required to provide additional evidence that they are not living separately and apart on a permanent basis in order to satisfy the requirements of a de facto relationship.

If you can prove that the relationship is genuine and there is a solid intention for it to last long term then it may be possible to get around the living together condition.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Hi Grainne,

What category are you going to be applying for. My Oh works in social care (Elder Care, but training in care of disabled) and is currently training to level 7 fetac. She is then planning to do a level 8 before we move over. We are aiming at sept 2019 to facilitate the level 8. But if the years worth of experience at level 7 would be worth more on application that may be a better road to take.

Thanks

Advertisement