Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmers Profits Should Be Tax Free

Options
  • 15-12-2016 2:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭

My way of lookin at it is that due to bad prices and all the hard work we've to go through our profits should be made tax free. Farming is the backbone of the country, every business here in the west is totally dependent on farming and with the way things are going there won't be many farmers left after a couple more years and the domino effect will be huge. I think it's particularly disgrace that the government take half of my EU grant the single farm payment off me every year in taxes, that money is meant to be for me.

How do ye think we could implement this and which government party would most likely do it? I was think FG since they've always been good to us

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

My way of lookin at it is that due to bad prices and all the hard work we've to go through our profits should be made tax free.

So by extension everyone who works hard shouldn't have to pay tax? Taxes are paid on profits no?
    Farming is the backbone of the country

Maybe 40 years ago. It's a big enough player but in no way the back bone.
    every business here in the west is totally dependent on farming
    Again maybe 40 years ago. Not now
    I think it's particularly disgrace that the government take half of my EU grant the single farm payment off me every year in taxes, that money is meant to be for me.
    Again taxes are paid on profits no?

Why is a handout from the EU to you not subject to tax?

Even for a farmer you seem to have a remarkable sense of self entitlement and seem to think that the world revolves around you and your farm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

My way of lookin at it is that due to bad prices and all the hard work we've to go through our profits should be made tax free.

The fact that you can make profits when prices are bad kind of nullifies your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Lets call a spade a spade here...

If you are in business (any business) and cant get the price you need to make profit you must either innovate or change industry. Any industry that is heavily granted is a burden. Ultimately profit is being subsidized by another financial institution which does not make sense.

Although agriculture in Ireland has high exports I dont think there is a dependency on it. The top contributes seem to be pharmaceuticals, machines and medical instruments. Check out the OEC link:

http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/irl/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

that money is meant to be for me.

This sums up Ireland today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭NovemberJersey

Count Kerry needs farming in the same way that a car needs petrol, nothing happens otherwise. The rest of the country is the same besides where people won't milk cows, beef and tillage farming are both loss makers and are popular in Leinster. Look at Kerry group, hired 800 new employees here in Ireland last year. It's only there in the first place because of farmers

Even the hardware stores would be closed down over night if it wasn't for farming, welders would be gone, builders main work is farm buildings work so they'd all be gone to oz, the list is endless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Is farming not already fairly heavily subsidised now you think you get more handouts? Everyone thinks they should pay less tax not sure why you think farmers should get even more special treatment. If farming isn't profitable enough do what other people have to do with businesses that aren't viable and try something else.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Tax free? No. Additional or extended reliefs in certain areas? Maybe.

jimmii wrote: »
    Is farming not already fairly heavily subsidised now you think you get more handouts? Everyone thinks they should pay less tax not sure why you think farmers should get even more special treatment. If farming isn't profitable enough do what other people have to do with businesses that aren't viable and try something else.

My farm is profitable enough but I employ so many people I shouldn't have to pay any taxes

Even the hardware stores would be closed down over night if it wasn't for farming, welders would be gone, builders main work is farm buildings work so they'd all be gone to oz, the list is endless

Nobody suggested the banning of farming overnight. They're countering your argument that a profitable business needs additional tax breaks to be more profitable.

Graham wrote: »
    Nobody suggested the banning of farming overnight. They're countering your argument that a profitable business needs additional tax breaks to be more profitable.

Small farmers aren't viable though so only big farmers are going to be left after a few more years and us big farmers are getting crucified with tax, I'm going to be milking my cows at 6am Christmas morning and paying 55% tax on the money I make, it's not worth it

• Advertisement

Small farmers aren't viable though

In which case, not taxing profits is going to be the least of your worries.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

My farm is profitable enough but I employ so many people I shouldn't have to pay any taxes

And may we ask, why not? Just because the Government seems to take so much from EU and other Single Payment Annual Grants, that shouldn't/doesn't qualify you for tax exemption.

I've a big farm so that's not my problem

Ahhh so it's not your big profitable farm you think should be tax free, it's the smaller ones.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's plenty of small farm owners entitled to Income Averaging provided they work a minimum of 20 hours a week on the farm, along side a part or full time, with a few other conditions. So if they can manage their farms and costs well, it shouldn't drag them down below the bread line and into destitution or poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

OP you do the farming community little service but rather selfishly seek to have yourself and them included in the growing list that make up the "entitled" sectors, just let someone else pay!!

I do sympathise November, that farmers do get hammered with respect to milk, tillage and beef/other livestock based produce prices. That's no entitlement there for tax exemption.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's plenty of small farm owners entitled to Income Averaging provided they work a minimum of 20 hours a week on the farm, along side a part or full time, with a few other conditions. So if they can manage their farms and costs well, it shouldn't drag them down below the bread line and into destitution or poverty.

Farm assistance is what they call that I think, if a fella is clean useless and can't run his farm properly and lies in bed all day long the government pays him €400 a week, its a disgrace as it stops us big farmers from getting our hands on their land and we'd actually be able to farm it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

This made me literally laugh out loud. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Farming is the backbone of the country,

You need to substitute 'is' for 'was'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Now I know you're trolling.

It might help farmers with small farms (below a certain acreage and livestock/milk production level), if they received a reduced tax rate for a set period of time to mitigate against lower prices at certain times of the year. For example, you might have lower yields of tillage during the winter, because farmers didn't get to turn it in time to dry it or remove it from the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Farm assistance is what they call that I think, if a fella is clean useless and can't run his farm properly and lies in bed all day long the government pays him €400 a week, its a disgrace as it stops us big farmers from getting our hands on their land and we'd actually be able to farm it

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/farming_and_fishing/farm_assist.html

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Now I know you're trolling.

Ya that's it when you don't agree with what someone else says that makes them a ****ing troll, sit yourself down and think about it for 2 minutes how dependent the west is on farming or maybe someone with a lot of patience could explain it to u

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Donald, is that you ????????

Ya that's it when you don't agree with what someone else says that makes them a ****ing troll, sit yourself down and think about it for 2 minutes how dependent the west is on farming or maybe someone with a lot of patience could explain it to u

I thought you were profitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

So only small companies that don't employ people should have to pay taxes? Are you sure you're a farmer and don't work for Apple or Amazon?

Roadhawk wrote: »

So the Farm Assist isn't €400 a weeks. It pays up to €188, similar to Jobseekers for Farmers who meet criteria, but don't make enough to live. So I'm sure November, you could target these Farmers and pay them what they might make on the Farm per week + €188 + an additional financial incentive per week for their land. Then you could farm all the land you want and everyone might be happy.

I remember looking at the numbers are while ago and every euro spent by the former department of enterprise trade and employment generated a multiple of jobs compared to what was spent by the department of agriculture.

Be careful what you wish for OP, you could get a tax break but would you say trade your SFP for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Interesting to note that all the OP's posts are on the subject of farming tax, co-op share taxation.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement