Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmers Profits Should Be Tax Free

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

tax breaks are a must though

Why, you said you were profitable even now while prices are poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Count Kerry needs farming in the same way that a car needs petrol, nothing happens otherwise.

Do you seriously expect us to believe that a) you're currently farming and b) you're from Kerry??!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭NovemberJersey

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Do you seriously expect us to believe that a) you're currently farming and b) you're from Kerry??!!

Read my previous posts on my profile before you make accusations

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'm from a farming background and involved near all my life.

Farming doesn't need special tax treatment.

Agriculture needs a dedicated price regulator to ensure the profits on agricultural produce is fairly being distributed within the supply chain. Currently a small number have a tight grip on the industry and because of their clout and connections it's impossible to change without help.

Farmers are price takers and have no leverage on the processors they supply.

A regulator would ensure that a proper fair profit was left within the farm gate and once the industry was functioning properly farmers would happily pay tax.

Looking for tax breaks is fighting the wrong problem.

Read my previous posts on my profile before you make accusations

I think it's your previous posts that are leading to the conclusions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

I didn't bother reading all of what you said but I'm gonna correct where you misquoted me at the start, I think all these grants should be gotten rid of, it would be for everyone's own good in the long run

Do you honestly know what will happen if subsidies are gotten rid of even in Ireland?

There will be 20 big farms in Ireland going overdrive rushing prices to the bottom, you will be out of business within 3 years along with ever other farmer.

Do you honestly know what will happen if subsidies are gotten rid of even in Ireland?

There will be 20 big farms in Ireland going overdrive rushing prices to the bottom, you will be out of business within 3 years along with ever other farmer.

are you always like this? Those farms subsidies are based on the food they were producing back in 2001 about, a lot of them don't commercially farm any longer because of the massive grants they get… your so obnoxious, you clearly don't have any idea what your talking about but you seem genuinely certain that you do

Graham wrote: »
    I think it's your previous posts that are leading to the conclusions.

6,500 posts you've made since 2001, we'll draw our own conclusions

are you always like this? Those farms subsidies are based on the food they were producing back in 2001 about, a lot of them don't commercially farm any longer because of the massive grants they get… your so obnoxious, you clearly don't have any idea what your talking about but you seem genuinely certain that you do

Didn't you say earlier something about the smaller farms being driven out of business by the removal of the grants?

Isn't that exactly what chickendinner also suggested?

Didn't you say earlier something about the smaller farms being driven out of business by the removal of the grants?

Isn't that exactly what chickendinner also suggested?

He said none of us would be left except for the 20 on the highest paid list, a very intelligent remark by him

• Advertisement

we'll draw our own conclusions

Are there multiples of you or have you been elected to speak on behalf of a group?

He said none of us would be left except for the 20 on the highest paid list, a very intelligent remark by him

There was no mention of highest paid:
    There will be 20 big farms

• Registered Users Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Think this should be in a diff Forum; After Hours. S**t stirring.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

you are shortsighted by your own selfishness, Oh I shouldnt pay any taxes,:pac:

Haha, you think them big business are gonna let them fields be barren, they are gonna hire some minimum wage person like yourself, who is now out of a job
    to run it,
    Dont be all sad about it though as you will get a great night sleep with no worries in the world and those poor owners will have restless legs of constant worry

Are there multiples of you or have you been elected to speak on behalf of a group?

You've got 6,500 posts on this website, clearly you sit down by your computer all day annoying people on boards, as annoyin as you are I do pity you. Everything I've said for the last few hours you've replied straight instantly. You've no idea what your talking about and you even at one stage questioned if I was profitable because I'd to pay so much tax, do you realise how stupid of a statement that was? I'd say your a massive success story with the amount of spare time you've got to make 6,500 posts on boards, would you ever go away you creep

I was hoping for a debate about taxation but no, nobody here could have a civil discussion because you can't stop butting in with your nauseatingly idiotic remarks.

you are shortsighted by your own selfishness, Oh I shouldnt pay any taxes,:pac:

Haha, you think them big business are gonna let them fields be barren, they are gonna hire some minimum wage person like yourself, who is now out of a job
    to run it,
    Dont be all sad about it though as you will get a great night sleep with no worries in the world and those poor owners will have restless legs of constant worry

my farm is 3 times bigger than average and with the amount of land I could buy with SFP gone I'd be much bigger again, it's worth €2,500,000… why should I become a minimum wage worker? I've a couple of ye working for me… your so bitter over me having a big business and you don't even know me, what's wrong with you?

You've got 6,500 posts on this website, clearly you sit down by your computer all day annoying people on boards, as annoyin as you are I do pity you. Everything I've said for the last few hours you've replied straight instantly. You've no idea what your talking about and you even at one stage questioned if I was profitable because I'd to pay so much tax, do you realise how stupid of a statement that was? I'd say your a massive success story with the amount of spare time you've got to make 6,500 posts on boards, would you ever go away you creep

Look, I understand you're finding it difficult to make a coherent argument for your proposed tax breaks for profitable farmers with big farms. It's apparently a tough sell, even to other farmers.

You're not doing yourself any favours by personally attacking anyone that disagrees with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

my farm is 3 times bigger than average and with the amount of land I could buy with SFP gone I'd be much bigger again, it's worth €2,500,000… why should I become a minimum wage worker? I've a couple of ye working for me… your so bitter over me having a big business and you don't even know me, what's wrong with you?

Most farms like the one you're discussing are in a company and are only paying minimal tax anyway, I'd imagine the workers are paying more tax than the farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Interesting that OP never responed to post#17!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

due to equality and fairness, and going by this thread, 'all workers' should have tax free earnings. job done

• Advertisement

Let me see if I have this right.

You're suggesting that if you removed the subsidy/grant from all farms it would cripple the smaller farms to the point where you could buy their land and triple the size of your operation. You'd also like tax-breaks to increase the profitability of swallowing your smaller neighbours.

Let me see if I have this right.

You're suggesting that if you removed the subsidy/grant from all farms it would cripple the smaller farms to the point where you could buy their land and triple the size of your operation. You'd also like tax-breaks to increase the profitability of swallowing your smaller neighbours.

corporate-farming!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

And did ye all vote Healy Rae?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    due to equality and fairness, and going by this thread, 'all workers' should have tax free earnings. job done

And to pay us back for a lifetime of tax the government should have to pay us the same rate as which we would have paid. This thread is genius I think we could be on to something!

Its amazing how just in the last couple of days someone was saying there hadn't been a good discussion thread in here for a while then this gem pops up!

rangler1 wrote: »
    Most farms like the one you're discussing are in a company and are only paying minimal tax anyway, I'd imagine the workers are paying more tax than the farmer

No we're not mostly in companies at this size, if you go back to my first posts on boards you'll see me pondering setting one up though… it's hard to extract money from the company afterwards unless your of a certain age (55+) which tax breaks allow for

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

Fair play to you , but I'd imagine it's easy farm the land you have , would you should sell it and come up to the boggy land of North clare where 40 acres would be a good holding and 10 acres without rushes would be considered the meadow , where farmers have built houses and reared families and put kids through school with 20 sucklers and who without the sfp would be living in council estates and the heavy land they farm turned into green carpets of forestry

I doubt you would , I think you'd starve within a few weeks of coming here , you'd wonder how these people live at all in places like this with they're small farms and small cattle , where the short horn and massey 35 do just fine without simpletons like you watching out for them

Mind your own small green patch of this little country , at the end of the day you've only life use of it , try and enjoy it and stop worrying about things you have no control over , you've no boast over something you've got for nothing only the fortune to be born a hard working farmers son

jimmii wrote: »
    And to pay us back for a lifetime of tax the government should have to pay us the same rate as which we would have paid. This thread is genius I think we could be on to something!

Its amazing how just in the last couple of days someone was saying there hadn't been a good discussion thread in here for a while then this gem pops up!

Ya I think tax should be lower for everyone, reward the working, it's only logical

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

My way of lookin at it is that due to bad prices and all the hard work we've to go through our profits should be made tax free. Farming is the backbone of the country, every business here in the west is totally dependent on farming and with the way things are going there won't be many farmers left after a couple more years and the domino effect will be huge. I think it's particularly disgrace that the government take half of my EU grant the single farm payment off me every year in taxes, that money is meant to be for me.

How do ye think we could implement this and which government party would most likely do it? I was think FG since they've always been good to us

Haha this is hilarious

The smell of self entitlement is incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

No we're not mostly in companies at this size, if you go back to my first posts on boards you'll see me pondering setting one up though… it's hard to extract money from the company afterwards unless your of a certain age (55+) which tax breaks allow for

Bread ...butter...side

• Advertisement

Ya I think tax should be lower for everyone, reward the working, it's only logical

how should we shaft then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement