Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gasworks site.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

JohnC. wrote: »
    I pass it most days, but only noticed a couple of days ago that they may have done a whoopsie. Anyone else spot what's wrong here?

[IMG]http ://i.imgur.com/0yK6NPQ.jpg[/IMG]
    Try swinging that flood gate closed with that railing there

It will be a sliding gate when finished I expect ..... but what consideration was given to full access on that bridge ....... steps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

It will be a sliding gate when finished I expect ..... but what consideration was given to full access on that bridge ....... steps?

Is there wheelchair access on vehicle exit side, probably is John street side too,.agree its not ideal but changing a bridge like that to wheelchair accessible might have been very difficult/too costly.I don't know, its a small bridge with very little room to ramp down on street side, 1:12 is the rate I think, if its half metre to crest, unlikely to have 6m to play with, could put a brand new flat bridge there but I think most that would cause complaint too.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Is there wheelchair access on vehicle exit side, probably is John street side too,.agree its not ideal but changing a bridge like that to wheelchair accessible might have been very difficult/too costly.I don't know, its a small bridge with very little room to ramp down on street side, 1:12 is the rate I think, if its half metre to crest, unlikely to have 6m to play with, could put a brand new flat bridge there but I think most that would cause complaint too.

It could have been accommodated if it was decided to do so. ;)

I am disappointed it was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The gate doesn't slide. There's great big hinges on it, on the other end.

JohnC. wrote: »
    The gate doesn't slide. There's great big hinges on it, on the other end.

I cannot imagine using the locking mechanisms on the left of the gate as pictured, if the gate is hinged, as when the gate is closed they would be then on the bridge side and inaccessible.

• Advertisement

It could have been accommodated if it was decided to do so. ;)

I am disappointed it was not.

With the old bridge, how?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Whilst new parking facilities in the city are a good thing (as they will bring business and shoppers in) surface car parks in the heart of a city do depress me - why not a muli-story car park and develop the rest of the site for high quality mixed tenure housing?

Surface car parks were all over inner city Dublin in the 1980s and it was seen as a sign of how derelict and run down the city had become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Whilst new parking facilities in the city are a good thing (as they will bring business and shoppers in) surface car parks in the heart of a city do depress me - why not a muli-story car park and develop the rest of the site for high quality mixed tenure housing?

Surface car parks were all over inner city Dublin in the 1980s and it was seen as a sign of how derelict and run down the city had become.

The car parks on the Quay are just a pure waste. How do we allow defilement of such an impressive waterfront?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    The car parks on the Quay are just a pure waste. How do we allow defilement of such an impressive waterfront?

Because the people who own them are coining it and have no intention of giving them up.

Where does that money magically appear from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Where does that money magically appear from?

Our pampered local TDs bloated wages and expenses budget? Just a thought. The majority of councillers in Waterford are just cruising for the pension, I know this from bitter experience, 2 of them in particular they love the perks, the free meals and the wages but they have absolutely no interest in Waterford and the people of Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Our pampered local TDs bloated wages and expenses budget? Just a thought. The majority of councillers in Waterford are just cruising for the pension, I know this from bitter experience, 2 of them in particular they love the perks, the free meals and the wages but they have absolutely no interest in Waterford and the people of Waterford.

Just two ?

A few councillors/tds wages/expenses does not get anywhere near building this pie in the sky stuff mentioned.a bit of realism here lads wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

A few councillors/tds wages/expenses does not get anywhere near building this pie in the sky stuff mentioned.a bit of realism here lads wouldn't go astray.

Realism! On here!?! You need to get realistic max boy!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

TBH I wouldn't consider a simple multi-storey car park with apartments in a regional city in a wealthy country in the year 2017 to be "pie in the sky."

Or are expectations for Waterford really that low? :(

TBH I wouldn't consider a simple multi-storey car park with apartments in a regional city in a wealthy country in the year 2017 to be "pie in the sky."

No, but totally unrealistic comments on public money appearing for such ventures is pie in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

It is when you are expecting the council to build it. If the council went ahead and started spending millions on ventures like this then they could end up bankrupt within months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Deiseen wrote: »
    It is when you are expecting the council to build it. If the council went ahead and started spending millions on ventures like this then they could end up bankrupt within months.

How about we form a bank, lend the money to the council, let them default and wait for the bailout? Everyone's a winner!

Oh yes, I nearly forgot to mention - nobody goes to jail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

No, but totally unrealistic comments on public money appearing for such ventures is pie in the sky.

But a cut in their wages WOULD free up a significant amount of money surely you can see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Would it be significant?

• Advertisement

But a cut in their wages WOULD free up a significant amount of money surely you can see that?

Might be significant for you and me but in terms of the cods wallop mentioned earlier...nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    How about we form a bank, lend the money to the council, let them default and wait for the bailout? Everyone's a winner!

Oh yes, I nearly forgot to mention - nobody goes to jail

strangely enough, we could and probably should do this, and we d probably be fairly successful if we did.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    strangely enough, we could and probably should do this, and we d probably be fairly successful if we did.

This just looks like more crazy talk wanderer, even crazier then the 'why not build a multi storey and housing'instead of flat car park.as deiseen said, if we borrowed to build, even if someone gave us the money,we'd be bankrupt in a few months

This just looks like more crazy talk wanderer, even crazier then the 'why not build a multi storey and housing'instead of flat car park.as deiseen said, if we borrowed to build, even if someone gave us the money,we'd be bankrupt in a few months

ah what im getting to is 'public banking', im convinced this is what we should being doing and what we should have done since the banking collapse. sadly we ve decided to stick with the highly volatile private banking model.

ah what im getting to is 'public banking', im convinced this is what we should being doing and what we should have done since the banking collapse. sadly we ve decided to stick with the highly volatile private banking model.

What you are saying is attempting to borrow a load of money from somewhere, which we can't afford to pay for.

What you are saying is attempting to borrow a load of money from somewhere, which we can't afford to pay for.

not at all, if we created our own public bank, we good create our own money, and loan it to ourselves.

not at all, if we created our own public bank, we good create our own money, and loan it to ourselves.

Way too simplistic and the basic questions are the same, where does this money come from considering who would lend it to us, how do we pay it back?
    At the end of day here, you're advocating exactly the mess we got ourselves into previously, over borrowing and unable to pay without drastic consequences.

Way too simplistic and the basic questions are the same, where does this money come from considering who would lend it to us, how do we pay it back?
    At the end of day here, you're advocating exactly the mess we got ourselves into previously, over borrowing and unable to pay without drastic consequences.

public banking just like private banking creates 'money' in the exact same way, i.e. from the creation of loans, i.e. from thin air! provided this is done in accordance to banking rules, this is perfectly legal, and according to the experts, works very well. for example, our politicians are continually talking about creating a 'rainy day fund', and id have to agree with american economist ellen brown, we d be better off creating our own public banking system, placing this rainy day fund into it, and start writing cheques, even to multiple times whats actually in deposits, again this is exactly what is done under normal banking operations. ideally it would be best to invest these funds into projects that would give returns, so theres effectively cash flow. for example, the bank of north dakota is america's only public banking system, and it is believed the state has some of the cheapest electricity in the country, largely due to the fact, the banking system funded the network, and obviously the users pay for the electricity. yes its possible for us to create the money, to create the infrastructure we need and use. obviously there are limitations to these systems, but ive become completely convinced it would greatly help our country if we created a public banking system.

we have become convinced that money must be created by effectively digging it out of the ground etc, its not! the majority of our money is created by creating loans, some believe that approximately 97% of the money supply is created in this way. we effectively can create our own 'money' by these methods. some believe that public banks are far more stable and more profitable than private banks as they generally dont get involved in high risk behaviour such as derivatives trading etc.

public banking just like private banking creates 'money' in the exact same way, i.e. from the creation of loans, i.e. from thin air! provided this is done in accordance to banking rules, this is perfectly legal, and according to the experts, works very well. for example, our politicians are continually talking about creating a 'rainy day fund', and id have to agree with american economist ellen brown, we d be better off creating our own public banking system, placing this rainy day fund into it, and start writing cheques, even to multiple times whats actually in deposits, again this is exactly what is done under normal banking operations. ideally it would be best to invest these funds into projects that would give returns, so theres effectively cash flow. for example, the bank of north dakota is america's only public banking system, and it is believed the state has some of the cheapest electricity in the country, largely due to the fact, the banking system funded the network, and obviously the users pay for the electricity. yes its possible for us to create the money, to create the infrastructure we need and use. obviously there are limitations to these systems, but ive become completely convinced it would greatly help our country if we created a public banking system.

we have become convinced that money must be created by effectively digging it out of the ground etc, its not! the majority of our money is created by creating loans, some believe that approximately 97% of the money supply is created in this way. we effectively can create our own 'money' by these methods. some believe that public banks are far more stable and more profitable than private banks as they generally dont get involved in high risk behaviour such as derivatives trading etc.

So bank 'creates' this money as you say, we can't pay the bank back, the back is consequently screwed, people/orgainsations who credited bank come looking for money, who will pay it, Waterford council or the state?
    That's your plans conclusion

• Advertisement

So bank 'creates'this money as you say, we can't pay the bank back, the back is consequently screwed, people/orgainsations who credited bank come looking for money, who will pay it, Waterford council or the state?
    That's your plans conclusion

id highly recommend the work of people such as ellen brown, steve keen, michael hudson and jim rickards in regards the workings of banks in particular public banks. there actually are a couple of groups in ireland advocating for this kind of system for our country, and id have to agree with them. theres many successful public banks around the world including germanys own sparkasse savings bank, and according to the experts, is a very successful banking system, and very stable. please be aware, it was foreign, privately owned banks that we owed/owe our debts to. why not create our own debts and owe them back to ourselves. we can make use of the interest from these loans by circulating them again rather than having other foreign financial institutions removing them in 'rent seeking' fashion.

another misunderstanding of banking, i.e. deposits and loans, deposits are not used in loans, deposits are not given out as loans. deposits always remain on the books of banks, loans are created by means of 'double entry bookkeeping'.

Advertisement