Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastcom as a broadband provider.

Options
  • 15-12-2016 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Hello to all,

I live on the Mayo/Sligo border in a rural setting and am interested in getting Broadband.
    Currently have a Telephone line with Eircom but their internet service is not available to me.

What kind of experiences have people had with 'Fastcom' as a Broadband Provider?

I would probably go for a combined Telephone and Broadband package.

Would really appreciate anyone sharing their experiences,positive or negative with 'Fastcom'

Thanks,
    W.P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Never had Fastcom but are you within range of the Imagine mast at Swinford? That could be another option for you.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

also consider Westnet if its available in your area.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

thekooman wrote: »
    also consider Westnet if its available in your area.

Well been a customer of them and reading the laugh that Imagine are pedaling out then I'd go with Westnet!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

yop wrote: »
    Well been a customer of them and reading the laugh that Imagine are pedaling out then I'd go with Westnet!

Don't understand ... what are Imagine pedaling?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

RMDrive wrote: »
    Don't understand ... what are Imagine pedaling?

70 megs. Reading the forums here and the Facebook pages people report 1/2 that at off peak and some reporting 3 megs at peak.
    You pay big money to get 70 megs, they don't provide anywhere near.
    Their customer service seems terrible also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

yop wrote: »
    70 megs. Reading the forums here and the Facebook pages people report 1/2 that at off peak and some reporting 3 megs at peak.
    You pay big money to get 70 megs, they don't provide anywhere near.
    Their customer service seems terrible also.

Understood. I changed to them and am getting 15-20 wireless in all locations around the house. I've had some intermittent issues with the service dropping for a minute or two here and there and contention is definitely an issue (like it is for all services), but overall I'm happy. I was with Westnet for many years and was paying $45 for a 4Mb line. I'm now paying €60 for ~20Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Has anyone positive feedback on Imagines service?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

Hello to all,

I live on the Mayo/Sligo border in a rural setting and am interested in getting Broadband.
    Currently have a Telephone line with Eircom but their internet service is not available to me.

What kind of experiences have people had with 'Fastcom' as a Broadband Provider?

I would probably go for a combined Telephone and Broadband package.

Would really appreciate anyone sharing their experiences,positive or negative with 'Fastcom'

Thanks,
    W.P.

Hi, Im from the same area as you and use fastcom. Fine for browsing and the likes but as soon as you try to watch a video or try online gaming its completely useless. My mobile 3g is actually about 3 times faster. Its an awful shame that this area seems to have been completely ignored by eircom and we're left with this rubbish.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/6153722755

6153722755.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Check out the Imagine thread, and also their facebook page. It's the only show in town for rural Mayo at the moment until Eir roll out fibre... and even then you may, like me, be omitted from the new plans.

There are transmitters in Ballina, Castlebar and Swinford as well as Sligo town so you may be in Imagines range. Their customer service is lacking but the speed is generally good. (I'm getting 40 - 80 mbps off peak). I pay 60 euro a month.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

also try Westnet. still only 3MB download but its ok for youtube and the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Oh I had been having such a good time with Fastcom until of late (the last week or so ) on the 12mbps package and got around 10mbps most times and pings of only 14ms ... but its recently gone dreadfully bad, bad, bad .

sometimes not reaching 1mbps down (a lot of the time lately) and ping around 74ms - have been in touch with tech support and to be honest, they have been honest and told me that there are limited amount of channels and a 'new provider' has just set up in the area and conflicting with the channels fastcom are/were using.

- I just dont know how long its going to go on like this thats the thing. so annoying especially that on the whole til now apart from the odd wobble since we had it installed in Dec 2016 it has been terrific and responsive. - I just hope they can sort it out properly once and for all and get me back to my speeds and ping speed that I was experience before.

Really driving me and the family up the wall as to how patchy it is at the moment - unworkable most of the time. We have no landline and our mobiles can only achieve a 2.5g (EDGE) signal in our area with our mobile providers (Tesco mobile) so we are well shtuck when the fastcom system plays up like this.

we are paying 49.99eur basically for a slow frustrating unworkable 'broadband' service, and I cant see fastcom re-reimbursing us a months subscription for this latest inconvenience to be honest, which is a shame because we still pay and the faults are not our end.

Ah well hopefully it will get sorted this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭the_pits

Oh I had been having such a good time with Fastcom until of late (the last week or so ) on the 12mbps package and got around 10mbps most times and pings of only 14ms ... but its gone dreadfully bad, bad, bad . sometimes not reaching 1mbps down (a lot of the time lately) and ping around 74ms - have been in touch with tech support and to be honest, they have been honest and told me that there are limited amount of channels and a 'new provider' has just set up in the area and conflicting with the channels fastcom are/were using. - I just dont know how long its going to go on like this thats the thing. so annoying especially that on the whole til now apart from the odd wobble since we had it installed in Dec 2016 it has been terrific and responsive. - I just hope they can sort it out properly once and for all and get me back to my speeds and ping speed that I was experience before. Really driving me and the family up the wall as to how patchy it is at the moment - unworkable most of the time. We have no landline and our mobiles can only achieve a 2.5g (EDGE) signal in our area with our mobile providers (Tesco mobile) so we are well shtuck when the fastcom system plays up like this. we are paying 49.99eur basically for a slow frustrating unworkable 'broadband' service, and I cant see fastcom re-reimbursing us a months subscription for this latest inconvenience to be honest, which is a shame because we still pay and the faults are not our end.
    Ah well hopefully it will get sorted this week.

Paragraphs Kills..... my eyes hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

i'm with imagine since last august and i dont have any complaints. i get good speeds 30-40mpb more on a good day, 20 on a bad day. overall the service is good and i only lost coverage once for a few hours.

i was with westnet before and i hated leaving them. they got me coverage when no one else would they upgraded their hardware regularly and their service was second to none, but they could just not provide the speeds needed 8-12 mbp at best.

the_pits wrote: »
    Paragraphs Kills..... my eyes hurt

Sorted paragraphs out for ye ! :D

Todays results on a 12mbps plan:

19747763_10212592336577219_1680402322_o.jpg?oh=13c5fec7d749ad217a062f0025a47ab6&oe=595D4F58

Try this for ****e :mad::mad::mad:
    Might bring back dial up.

6426215812.png
    6426218559.png

looks like fastcom have finally sorted out my particular issues, much better results now. Changed channels on the high site (as you do..)

19832728_10212604926811967_1453188374_n.jpg?oh=3ef9d9cdff83eab0609a273092afa291&oe=595DC8DD

19755844_10212604935812192_141888745_n.jpg?oh=514ebc32a1d430d182dec10d81066d73&oe=595E912A

I wish they'd do something with ours. Its useless.
    Im trying to play world of tanks and the turret jumps around like something from the exorcist, and the little ping meter at the top is always around 300ms

Beyond a joke really

6434082473.png
    6434088457.png
    6434092680.png

Advertisement