Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book: Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness - Scott Durek

Options
  • 15-12-2016 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

I found Scott Jurek's book in my library the other day - Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness. I first heard of Durek reading Born to Run. Starting the book it seems like it will be very interesting, he mixes in recipes randomly into the pages. Did ye enjoy it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Yes I've read it and thought it was great. It helps that I am a vegan as is Scott so his recipes and diet tips were particularly interesting for me. But even so, his tales of ultra running are really interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

I've read of Scott Jurek, but for me the problem comes when they refer to themselves and greatness in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

yes was decent read, fascinating in some parts how he could block out pain and go onto win races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I really enjoyed the book - & my husband is vegan and had run some ultras, so we found the recipes a help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Thought he was a small bit self obsessed. Almost no mention of his wife at all. Also felt he treated his friend who ran with him a little badly by publishing that they had fallen out and why. Felt that was a bit disloyal. Also was surprised at how cocky and obnoxiously he had acted in the Western States races, as a non local upstart. Reading born to run you'd think he was a humble hippy, not quite.

The Andrew Morrison story was interesting, or at least his account of it. I get the feeling its not quite the full story, and anyone who has listened to the episode with Andrew on the ultrarunners podcast might feel the same.

On the other hand his openness about his love for his mother and the difficult relationship with his father and childhood generally were interesting. But even at that he was only seeing his mother a few times a year in the final years. Maybe I'm being a bit judgmental in that regard, I don't know the full situation or what that would be like.

Still a reasonable read, I find anything about ultra running pretty fascinating.

Anyone recommend any others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭boardtc

Devoured the Durek book in the end, really enjoyed it. Check out some quotes from the book and some recipes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

boardtc wrote: »
    Devoured the Durek book in the end, really enjoyed it. Check out some quotes from the book and some recipes

I think you may have read the book title too literally!!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭boardtc

sideswipe wrote: »
    I think you may have read the book title too literally!!

Well spotted!! Hillarious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I was given a copy of it when it came out. It was interesting enough to read but not interesting enough for me to go back to. I don't remember thinking that he had any special insights and I thought it was fairly clumsily put together. It's not a memorably book IMO either in a good way or a bad way.

Advertisement