Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling help

• 15-12-2016 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello there everyone, I've been cycling 40/50k for the last few months 62k was my most in 2.24min, I got talking to friends dad the other day and he asked me to go with them, they go twice a week but do 80k at an average 30k ph not sure I'll be able to keep up with them they're about 10 people in total doing it so don't what to do, any advice would be much appreciated thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

62k in 2h 24m is 26kph. You'll gain a bit of advantage in a group but an extra 4kph might be a stretch.

Are there any clubs in your area who may have a variety of groups?

25/26/27kph is a normal speed for touring/experienced leisure groups. 30kpm is more suited to those training for racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Charlie 123

62k in 2h 24m is 26kph. You'll gain a bit of advantage in a group but an extra 4kph might be a stretch.

Are there any clubs in your area who may have a variety of groups?

25/26/27kph is a normal speed for touring/experienced leisure groups. 30kpm is more suited to those training for racing.

Hi, thanks for your reply I was thinking it was a bit much, my wife was saying go go do it, but 30kph for the bones of 3hours is out of my League ill look around at few clubs like you said and see if they have something on my level and enjoy it rather than hating it, thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

30kmph at this time of year is hard going, you are wearing alot more gear and the cold weather means your body needs to work harder to maintain that speed. Where you cycle is also a consideration, 30kmph around Wicklow is very hard whilst the flatlands of Kildare would be easier.

If you don't try you will never know, give it a go once and see how you fare. You may be get dropped 20km home, use it as an opportunity to cool down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Go out with them and stick with them for as long as you can, if they're a decent bunch they won't drop you or will wait further on ahead for you.

Like someone else above said 30kmh is fairly unusual at this time of year, even the faster groups on club spins are maxing out at 28kmh so try it out and if they're too fast for you then you'll know for again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Our racing group with a mix of A4 to A1 are averaging high 20's km/hr this time of year on distances from 80-100km on Kerry roads!! Speed of 30 is fast this time with winter clothing and heavy air

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot folks, I suppose what I'm getting from this is go do it, I'll keep up as much as I can and if I lag behind at least i get the experience of being in a group, I'm going Thursday morning I'll let you know how it goes and thanks for all your comments.

Hi folks, I went out today anyway and all went well, a good bunch of guys and girls, it wasn't like what the man told me at all , it' wasn't as long and fast as he said , I kept up no problem, I got a bit of advice from one guy about the size of my bike my saddle is to low and I need to change the stem to a shorter one as I'm stretching, I've googled around and can't seem to find how to get the right one I know the length but it's the clamps I'm having trouble with as to measure them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Most stems are oversized and so all you need to Do is decide what length you want. If your current stem is 100mm then get 90mm and see if it helps. I wouldn't go any shorter than 90 on a road bike so if you need to reduce reach after that then maybe consider an inline seat Post.

What bike have you?

Hi there it's a felt f75 2008 I think (second hand) I've the seat pushed up as far as it can go , but you think a new post would work cause I was looking at a 35 mm or 50 mm stem and yes the one on the bike is 100, thanks for replying.

Advertisement