Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for new network adapter

Options
  • 15-12-2016 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a new wireless adapter but I don't know much about them. Is a network card much better than the USB adapters you can get? Should I only get one that can receive 2.4 and 5 ghz signals? My current one only receives 2.4ghz. If my computer is being put into a desk such that the wireless adapter antenna would be between the pc and a wall is there any way to improve signal or should I just get a USB adapter for the front?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Best case for you is a PCI card with external antennas.

UkSFUyIl.jpg

If your internet connection is good and your router is capable then this could make a big difference, if you're on 2Mb DSL itll have zero impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I just got eir fibre in and although it's slower than it should be, the adapter is definitely the bigger issue. The external antenna seem exactly what I need. Any recommendations on a particular make and model?

Asus or TP would be my go to there. Or Intel if they offer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Homeplugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Homeplugs?

If possible, pretty much always this. Otherwise, what ED said.

Depending on the house though, homeplugs aren't always feasible. Older houses can have problems with them, and they really don't like extension leads, so you need to have a spare socket at either end, which can be tricky as it's usually from router/junk to office, meaning lots of other devices at either end anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Homeplugs?

+1 million..miles better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

You can buy homeplugs with a socket on them so you dont loose the socket

What exactly are homeplugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

What exactly are homeplugs?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/321_3076_30123_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

That page was no 1 on google search - I am not suggesting curry's are teh best place to buy them - just answering your question.

I mean how do they work? Do they use the mains to transmit a signal or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I mean how do they work? Do they use the mains to transmit a signal or something?

You plug one in near your modem/router. You run an ethernet cord to it. You plug the other in near your computer. You connect an ethernet cord from it to your computer. the plugs modulate a signal over the electrical wiring to effectively transmit the internet signal over the wiring. In fact they are just communicating with each other but in practical terms that is irrelevant. You now have a wired connection rather than wifi.

Fian wrote: »
    You plug one in near your modem/router. You run an ethernet cord to it. You plug the other in near your computer. You connect an ethernet cord from it to your computer. the plugs modulate a signal over the electrical wiring to effectively transmit the internet signal over the wiring. In fact they are just communicating with each other but in practical terms that is irrelevant. You now have a wired connection rather than wifi.

Man that sounds useful indeed.

Blazer wrote: »
    +1 million..miles better

Not always ;)

HPs max out about 150Mb effective, decent WLAN can easily top 250, so if you really really care about single client throughput a decent WLAN is better.

NB: For most houses there are more than one client, thus use homeplugs.

Gonna go ahead with the plugs but it looks like I'm going to have to get a new network card anyway. Any suggestions for a regular wireless card without the external antenna?

Advertisement