Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public holidays when working part time - how to work out pay

Options
  • 15-12-2016 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

If someone normally works 4 hours per day Mon-Thurs and 3 hrs Friday. What pay are they entitled to for a public holiday?

Is it what they would normally work i.e. 4 hrs of pay or are they entitled to a full days pay?

I have a childminder who thinks she is entitled to the full days pay but I'm not sure that's right.
    The context last time was the October mid term where she said she should get a full days pay for the Monday as she would be working full time hours the Tues-Fri as the kids were not in school. (she had the Monday bank hol off as normal btw). I didn't think it was right but didn't have the energy to look it up.

The rest of the year she works 3/4 hrs a day.
    For Christmas she finishes Fri 16th and is due back to work the 2nd week in Jan as I'm taking holidays.
    How do I work out what she's owed for each of Christmas Day, Stephens day and New Years day?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Whose house does she mind the children in?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Yummymummy83

One fifth of her average working week to be calculated using the past 13 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

Minded mostly in her house.
    Ah the 5th of the 13 weeks thing, yep I think that's probably right but she didn't agree to that last time when she did a 4 day week of full time hours and I was trying to work out the bank holiday pay. Citizen's advice her her one way and me another and it was very confusing. They told her she should get a full days pay cos she'd normally work a Monday.
    I'd happily pay her her normal days wage for it but I don't think I should pay her for 8 hrs when she normally works 4 every day.
    I might chat to her again and ask her to ring them herself to clarify it and see what they tell her.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mary28 wrote: »
    Minded mostly in her house.
    Ah the 5th of the 13 weeks thing, yep I think that's probably right but she didn't agree to that last time when she did a 4 day week of full time hours and I was trying to work out the bank holiday pay. Citizen's advice her her one way and me another and it was very confusing. They told her she should get a full days pay cos she'd normally work a Monday.
    I'd happily pay her her normal days wage for it but I don't think I should pay her for 8 hrs when she normally works 4 every day.
    I might chat to her again and ask her to ring them herself to clarify it and see what they tell her.

Is she not self employed if she is minding them in her house? Do you deduct taxes and pay employers prsi?

Does she mind other peoples children too?

Mary this might be better in the parenting forum where there are people who use childminders and also choldminders, i can move it if you wish?

She was hired to mind them in ours but over several months moved to hers every day cos she just wanted to and as I work from home I didn't mind, meant they weren't disturbing me and at that stage I trusted her enough. She only minds my kids. I think she wants stamps paid. I think it's fine to still be her employer and for her to work in her own home, not 100% but half looked into that a while ago.

• Advertisement

Im going to move this to parenting.

I think I'm done actually. I just wanted to know how to work it out, i'd forgotten about the 5th of the 13 week thing and I think that's probably how it should be worked out but I might just ask her to ring them herself and let her come back to me. Thanks for your help.

mod

Moved from work and jobs new charter applies

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

I think I'm done actually. I just wanted to know how to work it out, i'd forgotten about the 5th of the 13 week thing and I think that's probably how it should be worked out but I might just ask her to ring them herself and let her come back to me. Thanks for your help.

Hi mary28,

Perhaps you should rethink and discuss your arrangements with this minder in view of the fact that she is now minding them in her own house.

As she is no longer minding them in yours you are no longer her employer, rather she is considered self-employed and is responsible for her own taxes, insurance and setting her own rates of pay.

Just to clarify, most childminders would charge €5 per hour per child and anecdotally many childminders don't get paid for time they choose to take off. If childminders are looking after school going children there's often two rates charged, one for term time and one for school holidays given the extra amount of hours they would be in the minder's care.

I'm not sure how helpful Citizens Advice would be in relation to your query as she is not your employee and can set her own rates.

Advertisement