Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend cheap gaming laptop

• 15-12-2016 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hope someone can help. My sister is looking for a laptop from Santy this Christmas. Will mainly be used for playing The Sims, Minecraft and watching YouTube.

Can anyone recommend a laptop (has to be a laptop for travel and space limitations) tha would suit???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭leinsterjack

Hello Buddy,

First thing Id recommend is that you buy a desktop if you at all can. :)

Next, when buying you're PC DO NOT BUY IT IN IRELAND. You will be totally ripped off. Remember that paying more does not necessarily mean it's better.

The Sims, Minecraft and YouTube aren't at all hard to run, so what sort of quality do you want to run Minecraft and The Sims at? :)

Thanks for the reply. I would prefer to buy in a store in Ireland. So long as it can run the above on medium settings without any frames dropping or freezing we'd be happy

Whats your price range if you dont mind me asking?

I can try find one in Ireland, but in the long run best to buy from Germany/UK. Cheaper and get more bang for your buck.

Under 400 would be great!

• Advertisement

This one looks quite good. Houses an i7 and GTX 960m. As states make sure to contact seller before purchase and there are two available so you decide which one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FG28F30/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Do you really need an i7 processor for 'The Sims' and Minecraft? (Admitted Im not familiar with the min/rec specs for Sims games)

And at this point in time recommending a vendor abroad for Santa delivery might be well intentioned but not the best advice time wise.

Tenger wrote: »
    Do you really need an i7 processor for 'The Sims' and Minecraft? (Admitted Im not familiar with the min/rec specs for Sims games)

And at this point in time recommending a vendor abroad for Santa delivery might be well intentioned but not the best advice time wise.

Just got my order in for the GTX 1050ti in tonight from Amazon lol

And yes, you wouldn't need it but its great value :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

This one looks quite good. Houses an i7 and GTX 960m. As states make sure to contact seller before purchase and there are two available so you decide which one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FG28F30/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

DO NOT CONTACT THAT SELLER - THAT'S A SCAM!

https://www.reddit.com/r/amazon/comments/4r4huu/contact_us_prior_to_ordering_scam/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Really? You're basically advising someone to get involved in what is a blatantly obvious scam.

If it's for Christmas you'll have to buy from an Irish store, really.

Something like this for €450 is not exactly a rip-off - latest i3, 8GB ram, 1TB hard drive, etc.

• Advertisement

Really? You're basically advising someone to get involved in what is a blatantly obvious scam.

If it's for Christmas you'll have to buy from an Irish store, really.

Something like this for €450 is not exactly a rip-off - latest i3, 8GB ram, 1TB hard drive, etc.

Genuinely had no idea it was a scam. How can you tell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

You obviously missed my post above - this is how:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/amazon/comments/4r4huu/contact_us_prior_to_ordering_scam/

Thanks for all the contributions :) would the HP be powerful enough?

Thanks for all the contributions :) would the HP be powerful enough?

For those games, yes. Looking at benchmarks, Sims 4 at 1336x768 (laptops native resolution) at medium settings should be fine.

Well, there's no reasons - first being the sheer obviousness of it, a brand new seller with an extremely dodgy bio written in pigeon english asking you to contact a bizarre, random email address....the second being, do you really think you're going to get a brand new latest generation i7 gaming laptop with a GTX960M for £300? :)

I'd say look around, even on a quick look there's also something like this, less ram and a slightly older processor but largely identical performance wise if you want to stick to the 400 budget, the fact it's red might appeal in this case too...

Advertisement