Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working hours and rights

Options
  • 15-12-2016 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Ok well im working extra hours over christmas so less time off for me but it appears I will not get paid extra for this. Instead I will get extra time off. I am given the hours as holidays. Also my boss refuses anyone time off during December. Which I understand. We are a small staff.

My question is do I have a right to refuse to work extra hours or ask for payment for them.

Thank you in advance. (Btw I already work 42 hours a week)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

I can't remember off the top of my head, Google employment law, but seem dodge. If you work Sunday or bank holidays, you are entitled to holiday pay, also 42 hours a week is close, if not over the limit

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dar100 wrote: »
    I can't remember off the top of my head, Google employment law, but seem dodge. If you work Sunday or bank holidays, you are entitled to holiday pay, also 42 hours a week is close, if not over the limit

The limit under the working hours act is 48 hours a week, averaged over a 4 month period.

OP Time off in Lieu (TOIL) is commonly used against overtime in companies, it's not illegal etc

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No extra pay is required for Sundays. It has to be considered - but after consideration the answer might be that Sunday is part of the standard working week in this industry.

Time off in lieu is pretty common for bank holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

If you're working a public holiday you should be paid for the hours worked and you should also get a day off in lieu or else an additional day's pay.

If the PH falls on a day you're normally working and you're not required to work, you get paid for it as normal.

If the PH falls on a day you're not normally scheduled to work, you are entitled to be paid 1/5 of your normal working week for the day (so if you work Tues-Sat, you're entitled to some pay if a PH falls on a Monday).

No extra pay is required for Sundays. It has to be considered - but after consideration the answer might be that Sunday is part of the standard working week in this industry.

If it's outside of the normal rota, you do indeed have to be paid for it

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    The limit under the working hours act is 48 hours a week, averaged over a 4 month period.

OP Time off in Lieu (TOIL) is commonly used against overtime in companies, it's not illegal etc

Not with bank holidays it's not, and if it's outside of normal rota

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Not with bank holidays it's not, and if it's outside of normal rota

Have you a source to prove you must be paid for hours outside your normal rota that are not bank holidays, i.e just overtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If it's outside of the normal rota, you do indeed have to be paid for it

But only at normal rate.

Usually when this happens the person works the bank holiday instead of one of their usual days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Are you salaried or paid hourly?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

Lucky you getting time in lieu, I get the square root of FA for overtime�� Depends what is in your contract. Have a look at it again

• Advertisement
Advertisement