Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviva issue warning to customers

Options
  • 16-12-2016 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭

My dad got this from Aviva today.
    We want you to be safe on the road and to avoid any accidents that could cause injury or damage to your car.

However, you need to be extra vigilant to ensure you are not the victim of fraudulent staged collisions.

In recent months Aviva has seen growing evidence of innocent motorists being targeted by fraudsters who are seeking financial gain from bogus insurance claims.

We have seen a trend of very minor collisions in public car parks resulting in the submission of personal injury claims for soft tissue injuries such as whiplash.

This is what happens:

An innocent motorist reverses out of a car parking space.

Another vehicle carrying 2 or 3 passengers collides with them.

The innocent driver accepts that he or she is at fault.

Both parties exchange insurance details but agree that the damage is so insignificant that there is no need to notify the Gardaí.

The occupants in the offending vehicle subsequently contact the insurance company and pursue injury claims against the innocent driver.

We believe this may be insurance fraud and it impacts innocent drivers by driving claims costs up and thus contributing to increased premiums.

Aviva is committed to protecting our customers.

We have a zero tolerance policy on insurance fraud and investigate and fight all suspected cases.

If you are involved in this type of incident in the future please ensure you contact your local Gardaí at the time of the incident. Do not accept any liability at the scene of the accident and contact Aviva as soon as possible on
    1890 666 888.

Good to see them being proactive.

Between this and the warning about fronting a few months ago, its a step in the right direction.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'd personally add.

If you find yourself involved in something like the above.

- do not accept responsibility

- do not agree to make any payment, insurers will know if something is dodgy and will try their level best to fight anything that looks suspect

- contact the guards straight away, even if they don't come out there will be a record of the incident

- as soon as you can, go into the store/shopping centre/security guard area, tell them about the incident and ask them if they have CCTV in that area and if they do, make sure they retain the footage

- be vigilant, its difficult, I know myself how hard it can be and I often reverse in auto pilot but with the criminal element getting more sophisticated, we as ordinary, upstanding drivers have to do as much as is possible to remain on guard

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I always take care not to be a victim of this fraud when in car parks. What I do is that I reverse out two feet and stop, that allows me to see if there's anyone else nearby moving at the same time but before there may be a collision. I saw an elderly couple in a shopping centre car park trying to pull this stunt. I started to reverse out and he moved but I saw him and I stopped before what I'm sure was a planned collision. I could see what he was trying to do so I drove back into my parking space and waited, he had the cheek to wait and see if I'd oblige again but when he realised that I was on to him, he drove off. As a result, I'm now very wary when reversing out of a bay in a car park.

To summarise, look all around you, reverse out a couple of feet and then stop. If a another car that you hadn't noticed suddenly moves at the same time, it's someone trying to pull the stunt described by Aviva above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I always reverse into parking spaces, not for insurance reasons but safety for children when driving out.

Mayo co. council i think introduced a reverse in drive out campaign its more for road safety in terms of children but the practice might prevent claims also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

One word: dashcam.

Just got 2, will fit over Christmas

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

coylemj wrote: »
    I always take care not to be a victim of this fraud when in car parks. What I do is that I reverse out two feet and stop, that allows me to see if there's anyone else nearby moving at the same time but before there may be a collision. I saw an elderly couple in a shopping centre car park trying to pull this stunt. I started to reverse out and he moved but I saw him and I stopped before what I'm sure was a planned collision. I could see what he was trying to do so I drove back into my parking space and waited, he had the cheek to wait and see if I'd oblige again but when he realised that I was on to him, he drove off. As a result, I'm now very wary when reversing out of a bay in a car park.

To summarise, look all around you, reverse out a couple of feet and then stop. If a another car that you hadn't noticed suddenly moves at the same time, it's someone trying to pull the stunt described by Aviva above.

Very wise advice.

There was a variation on this scam about 25 years ago. The fraudsters were pedestrians. They would loiter in a car park and select an elderly driver, usually on their own, as their victim. They would wait for him to reverse out of the space and then one of them would walk deliberately in to the car and then put on a performance to feign injury. The rest of the mob were the witnesses. Elderly folk in this situation were helpless prey for the trash in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

I always reverse into parking spaces, not for insurance reasons but safety for children when driving out.

Mayo co. council i think introduced a reverse in drive out campaign its more for road safety in terms of children but the practice might prevent claims also.

I always reverse in too for a few reasons,
    way better visability driving out than backing out especially with fogged up windows or frosted up,
    the A4 has a low ish front bumper which can get damaged on kerbs.
    It can also be easier to get the car out of the parking space if people decide to abandon their cars across the way from you to run in and get a few messages

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Scammers. I've heard of two cases recently with big, highly suspicious claims. In both instances, it happened that those taking the cases were originally from overseas. It may be a coincidence but who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

galwaytt wrote: »
    One word: dashcam.

Just got 2, will fit over Christmas
    Just fitted one in my own car.
    It's a relief to know that I have an independent witness in the car should I ever get into any bother.
    I don't understand why insurance companies aren't pushing motorists to get one fitted.
    Easy way to cut down on fraud and cases where it's your word against someone else's.

Advertisement