Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

full time contract-part time work

Options
  • 16-12-2016 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    Iv left a job to go to another company after an offer of full time employment.
    The contract was signed a week before I started.
    The day I started I was made aware by the the guy I was replacing that he didn't know I was replacing him and he wasn't moving jobs because of pay issues etc.
    That evening the manager brought me in for a chat,asked how I got on on the first day blah blah blah.
    I asked him what was happening as I knew that the guy wasn't moving so he proceeded to tell me he could not offer me full time work but part time work until a full time position comes up.
    I can't go back to the old job as I have asked them already and my position was filled. I really like the new job and would love a permanent position there.
    I'm at a loss as to what to do.
    Are they obliged to make room for me as the contracts were signed?
    The manager seems totally inept and unable to deligate and person manage. Was talking to accounts manager who was over from head office and he is disgusted. He is a close friend of the owner and said he will contact him and make him aware of the situation.
    I just have no idea where I stand after leaving full time employment for what is now part time.
    Any advice please would be greatly accepted. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your on probation. You can be let go for no reason at all. And it sounds like they have reason (totally not your fault, though it is).

Irish employment law is badly stacked against employees in cases like this. It sucks, but that's now it is.

Focus on job-hunting, ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Hi Mrs B. The probation period in the contract was 3 months. I'm now 4 months into it. And I have been job hunting but not getting anything in my line of work at the moment.
    Iv approached the manager a few times and I get fobbed off. I'm not in a position to walk away from this part time work as Iv a family to provide for.
    Probably should have said that in the first post sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Yummymummy83

That is really bad form on the part of the company. Unfortunately regardless of your contracted probationary period you do not have protection under employment legislation until you've been there 12 months.

As advised already, start job hunting.

Really is a ****ty situation, bugs the hell out of me how companies have so little regard for peoples livelihoods.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ok, that's slightly better than I thought - from your first post, I was expecting that they'd let you go right on Christmas.

Yes it sucks, but there's little you can do apart from look for more work. If you try to force the issue, they can just make you redundant (no cost to them in the first two years). You could take legal action (I'm sure there's a law could be used for this - don't know what it'd be called) - but you'd probably pay as much in lawyers as you're losing in wages and it would p*ss the boss off and make for a very unpleasant working environment.

Is there any chance they could source any other part time work for you, to make you up to full time. Either through industry / business colleagues of theirs, or just people they know? Eg with a supplier or similar. They're probably embarrassed about the situation, but maybe have wider networks than you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Good advice there Mrs B. I will have a chat with manager on Monday. Thanks for the replies

• Advertisement
Advertisement