Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Executive Officer Campaign 2016

• 16-12-2016 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

The new EO campaign has launched - information booklet to follow...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Registered interest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Just applied.. here we go again with a campaign ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

Same. I've been a Clerical officer for a year and I regretted not applying for the EO competition in 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Just applied!! Was getting antsy wondering when this would come up

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruadh

Weekly working hours of 43 hours and 15mins and A/L starting at 23 days is pretty crap considering the grade, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭osullic

Here we go again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Applied there

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Yummymummy83

ruadh wrote: »
    Weekly working hours of 43 hours and 15mins and A/L starting at 23 days is pretty crap considering the grade, no?

Think it's standard. That is inclusive of your breaks. 23 AL is good starting point IMO, after all it's considered a trainee role.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

43.25 hours per week includes 1.25 hours for lunch per day. The clocked-in hours are 37 per week.

I think 23 days is a standard enough amount of leave for a relatively junior position.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruadh

I'm a CO and my starting AL is more than that.
    Sorry, the hours make sense now. My contract obviously has the lunch deducted so just states 37 hours.

• Advertisement

I'm a CO as well and my starting AL is 22 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭dextero

43.25 hours per week includes 1.25 hours for lunch per day. The clocked-in hours are 37 per week.

I think 23 days is a standard enough amount of leave for a relatively junior position.

Eo is not a junior position in most departments. They are expected to carry quite a high workload and manage staff which is never easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Great! Have submitted application. It's so easy to put in - the recent HEO one was a huge form with quite detailed questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

Here's the link for those who want it : https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/47960.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

eimaj77 wrote: »
    Great! Have submitted application. It's so easy to put in - the recent HEO one was a huge form with quite detailed questions.
    You will be asked to complete a more detailed form before any interview. I think they're doing it this way because when they call people in a year and a half, their form will be out of date if they submit it now.

I'm a CO and my starting AL is more than that.
    Sorry, the hours make sense now. My contract obviously has the lunch deducted so just states 37 hours.

Clerical Officers start on 22 days annual leave per year. You were obviously a glitch in the system if you started on 24+ days.

Eo is not a junior position in most departments. They are expected to carry quite a high workload and manage staff which is never easy.

EO is the second rung of the administrative ladder. It's a junior manager. I think 23 days sounds about right for the level. I suppose it's up to prospective applicants to determine if it is suitable or not I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I made a balls of the last EO maths portion last time around. I was too confident having sailed through previous AO competitions. This time around I not only intend to pass it but score highly. Im willing to spend a bit of money on pre-tests if anyone knows exactly which one will be used. I also need to improve on the work place scenarios. Is there somewhere that explains each one and gives the correct answer ?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hi I tried to apply and having trouble selecting the locations I want. I type in 1, 2 and I can't click on anything to say I want to pick those two locations. Will I need to contact public jobs office about this? Had anyone else trouble with selecting their location or have I missed something?

It ticks for all the other items on the online form but not for the locations. I've tried two different browsers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

doovdela wrote: »
    It ticks for all the other items on the online form but not for the locations. I've tried two different browsers.

I typed in 1 & 2

• Advertisement

I did that and my application form wouldn't go through said it didn't recognise the numbers and that I hadn't chosen my location(s). I sent public jobs an email just in case there is a glitch with it. Thanks I try that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭misslemon

Brilliant! Another campaign ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Does anyone know if being a clerical officer in the HSE would count towards having 2 plus years service requirement for applying?

Application finally worked for me thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Folks, does anyone know if you are an existing EO, can you apply for this, I couldn't see it in the booklet. The reason I ask is I recently got promoted as an EO and in the department I am in, one of the other EO's told me that they are not letting anyone transfer out of the department.

I am located in Dublin but live outside of Dublin and would like to transfer eventually to be closer to home.

Clerical Officers start on 22 days annual leave per year. You were obviously a glitch in the system if you started on 24+ days.

CO a/l and other conditions can vary across public and civil service, local authority leave was higher but salary scale didnt go nearly as high when i was a co transferring between

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭monday monday

Hi all
    I am currently 10 years in a semi state company. We have our own pay scales but have seen on some documentation 'EO' even though our scale is slightly higher than EO scale. Do you automatically go to bottom of pay scale?
    Im nearer the top of my own scale so would be a good pay drop. I have a very long commute though and would apply anyway in the hope of getting closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭starf1sh

Folks, does anyone know if you are an existing EO, can you apply for this, I couldn't see it in the booklet. The reason I ask is I recently got promoted as an EO and in the department I am in, one of the other EO's told me that they are not letting anyone transfer out of the department.

Of course you can apply, it's an open competition.

I am so glad they are allowing for location preference this time!!

• Advertisement

Hi all
    I am currently 10 years in a semi state company. We have our own pay scales but have seen on some documentation 'EO' even though our scale is slightly higher than EO scale. Do you automatically go to bottom of pay scale?
    Im nearer the top of my own scale so would be a good pay drop. I have a very long commute though and would apply anyway in the hope of getting closer to home.

I'm not 100% sure if it is the same coming from the Public Sector, but for existing Civil Servants, you don't take a pay cut but you "mark time". That is, you wouldn't get an increment until the scale catches up with what you are currently paid.

You have to weigh up whether you'd be happy to stay on the same money for the next few years with no increments.

It all depends on your current pay, how long until you reach the top, how long from retirement, etc., etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭monday monday

I'm not 100% sure if it is the same coming from the Public Sector, but for existing Civil Servants, you don't take a pay cut but you "mark time". That is, you wouldn't get an increment until the scale catches up with what you are currently paid.

You have to weigh up whether you'd be happy to stay on the same money for the next few years with no increments.

It all depends on your current pay, how long until you reach the top, how long from retirement, etc., etc.[

thanks for that. id have to wait 12 years so for an increment. but im nearly at the top of my own pay scale and its very difficult to get promoted where I currently am so might be on that pay for 12 years anyway.
    thanks for the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

It says "or leaving cert" in the criteria.

Is there any point without a degree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

gufc21 wrote: »
    It says "or leaving cert" in the criteria.

Is there any point without a degree?

Absolutely. It may be you have to do an aptitude test before anyone even looks at your CV. Apply, there's nothing to lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have a masters degree in management. Would I be seen as too qualified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Gael23 wrote: »
    I have a masters degree in management. Would I be seen as too qualified

They wont care .

One question though,why would you go for this position if you have a masters ?

• Advertisement

I only have a LC and have applied. I cont see why it would suffice. If we are good enough to get through aptitude tests, etray and interview then what difference does it make whether you have a degree or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Does anyone know anything about the aptitude tests - particularly who the provider is? The HEO one recently was Cut-e whereas the AP one seems to be SHL. I'm much better at the Cut-e one so here's hoping!

Are they similar to the CO ones? The maths and language ones were simple but i trip myself up in the situation one. I keep trying to think of what they would look for rather than what i would do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

gufc21 wrote: »
    Are they similar to the CO ones? The maths and language ones were simple but i trip myself up in the situation one. I keep trying to think of what they would look for rather than what i would do

Yeah I'd imagine so. The AO one was anyway

From the current EO application form:
    Eligible candidates NOT currently working in the Civil Service may apply for the Open position.
    Eligible candidates working in the Civil Service may apply for the Open and Interdepartmental positions.

So going by this I'm thinking even TCO working in the CS can apply for the Interdepartmental positions??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Halpenny wrote: »
    From the current EO application form:

So going by this I'm thinking even TCO working in the CS can apply for the Interdepartmental positions??

I think so. Just check for other requirements like 2 years service etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

What's the cash like?

Approximately €27,700.

Slydice wrote: »
    I think so. Just check for other requirements like 2 years service etc..

Thank for reply.
    Just reading over the booklet again. Could be wrong but isn't the 2 years service needed if you don't fulfill (i) / (ii) / (iii) / (iv) requirements eg don't have a degree/qualification etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

well, I can't find this years advertisement, see if you can attach it to a reply here

anyway, here's the one from 2014:
    http://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/per/2014/04.pdf

The bit about promotions is on page 2:
    Candidates for
    promotion to Executive Officer must:
    a) be serving in an established, unestablished or acting (see para 5.b) below) capacity in the Civil Service in a grade below that of Executive Officer,
    and
    b) on or before the closing date of 8th January, 2015, and have not less than two years service in the Civil Service. Unestablished officers and officers serving in an acting capacity in the eligible grades may compete in the competition provided they fulfil the eligibility requirements set out above.

It's where they use the word "and" to mean both a and b above. b says "not less than two years service"

Maybe it changed in this years competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 sister bliss

I'm currently a CO. As I only have 6 months done in civil service, i'm not eligible for the internal competition but can I still apply through the open competition??

Yeah you can still apply for the open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'm currently a CO. As I only have 6 months done in civil service, i'm not eligible for the internal competition but can I still apply through the open competition??

If you meet the qualification requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭o Fiac

This post has been deleted.

Whats the difference during the application between the Irish stream and the regular one. I have good irish but wouldn't dream of sitting an interview in one. I've been told by an existing civil servant that you only have to hold a quick conversation but I'm sceptical tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

ó Fíach wrote: »
    Im a CO have about 15 months now and established now, it's 1 year for internal competitions is it?

2 years as far as I know but you can apply for the open.

• Advertisement
Advertisement