Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Executive Officer Campaign 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BeboHun

They do check your Leaving Cert results and ask for the original copy to be brought at interview stage which has seen people turned away or people bow out at that stage.
    If there's any confusion just ring them but the criteria is there for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭etar

Yeah think ringing PAS is the only way to clarify.

On the form, I think I filled out "secondary education or equivalent" which was one of the dropdown choices. I do have a leaving certificate just not 5 honours.
    [/quote]

They won't look at ur qualifications unless u are eventually offered a position so you'd be better off ringing pas and walking them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Any one have the number for PAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bronzesheep

Our Contact Details

Public Appointments Service,
    Chapter House,
    26/30 Upper Abbey Street,
    Dublin 1
    Opening Hours: 9.15 am -5.15pm

Phone
    Lo-Call: 1890-449999
    Tel: +353-1-8587400

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

Placed 1580.

Thought I would have done better on the Verbal Reasoning but happy enough to be called to the next stage.

Hopefully get details on the supervised testing soon as I'll need to book the day off

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

Thanks all for the advice. Does anybody know where the actual eligibility criteria can be found on the PAS website? ie the information booklet for this campaign......wanted to have a good read through it again but I haven't been able to find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bronzesheep

This is directly from the information booklet:

''ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR EXECUTIVE OFFICER:
    1. Candidates must, on or before 12th January 2017
    (i) have obtained a recognised degree or hold a qualification in that in the opinion of the Public Appointments Service, is of a standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is of at least an equivalent or higher standard;
    or
    (ii) have obtained in the Leaving Certificate Examination a minimum of grade D at Ordinary (or Pass) level in Mathematics and Irish or English, having obtained a minimum of Grade C in at least five subjects at Higher (or Honours) level papers;
    or
    (iii) hold a qualification, that in the opinion of the Public Appointments Service, is of a standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is of at least an equivalent or higher standard to the Leaving Certificate (this will only be determined during the selection process or if a candidate comes under consideration for a position);
    or
    (iv) have passed the first year examination of a course leading to a recognised degree;
    or
    (vi) be serving as a Civil Servant with at least two years service and have obtained at least five subjects in the Leaving Certificate Examination (including Mathematics and Irish or English), three of which should be minimum Grade C at higher level, the others should be a minimum Grade D at ordinary level. Or have passed an examination(s) which would be acceptable to the Public Appointments Service as being of at least an equivalent standard of the Leaving Certificate.
    and
    2. Demonstrate the competencies set out in Appendix I
    NOTE: Qualifications/eligibility, may not be confirmed until the final stage of the process, therefore, those candidates who do not possess the essential requirements, on the date specified above, and proceed with their application are putting themselves to unnecessary effort/expense and will not be offered a position from this campaign. Candidates who are unable to show that they hold the required qualifications may be withdrawn from the campaign at any stage. An invitation to tests, interview or any element of the selection process is not acceptance of eligibility.''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

eimaj77 wrote: »
    I'd say that the assessment questionnaire is the most important one as it grades you as a manager. EOs are junior managers so they need to see if we will make good decisions on albeit hypothetical situations. It sucks and it really is a weeding out exercise but unfortunately that's their model at the moment. 😞

The fairest way would be do the numerical and verbal unsupervised and the if you make the grade do both again and questionnaire in a supervised environment.

Still a way of weeding out numbers but no one is getting a huge unfair advantage. Only difference is the questionnaire needs to be timed which isn't really a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Calculon1982

After my experience with the CO competition and having done quite well only to be told that there is no sign of any recruitment happening in my selected counties I feel like I am wasting my time.

I got placed 89 in the EO open exam there but I know if I go through to the supervised exam with my nominated counties again it will be the same story.

Is it a waste of time if you are trying to get a commuter County?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

After my experience with the CO competition and having done quite well only to be told that there is no sign of any recruitment happening in my selected counties I feel like I am wasting my time.

I got placed 89 in the EO open exam there but I know if I go through to the supervised exam with my nominated counties again it will be the same story.

id still go but thats just me. YOu are most likely very highly placed in your chosen counties if you are placed that highly nationwide. I know it must be frustrating to be in slow moving counties but at least if you proceed with this, you have another option open to you.

I personally am placed quite low (1580) so feel that there prob isnt much hope as i too am outside of Dublin but im going to go up and see how it goes as id much prefer EO to the CO position I am being given.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Calculon1982

id still go but thats just me. YOu are most likely very highly placed in your chosen counties if you are placed that highly nationwide. I know it must be frustrating to be in slow moving counties but at least if you proceed with this, you have another option open to you.

I personally am placed quite low (1580) so feel that there prob isnt much hope as i too am outside of Dublin but im going to go up and see how it goes as id much prefer EO to the CO position I am being given.

I suppose part of the frustration is that I have been a public servant for 8 years but we are not allowed to transfer so it's either this or I continue to commute for the rest of my life 3 hours a day.

I probobly should have selected Dublin and then hoped for a transfer at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Jakeren7

Same thing happened me in last eo competition got number 3 on the panel after interview for my chosen county but never got called. All that preparation for nothing which is frustrating. The majority of job vacancies are in Dublin and with the money so crap it wouldn't be worth my while

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ChrisBc

Pronto63 wrote: »
    Placed 474 in open and 158 in interdepartmental.

Big change from last time when I placed 5917 in the open!! :P

Best of luck to all and for those that aren't happy with their results head to Easons and check out the books on these tests.

Can you recommended any book? Done very bad so obviously need more practice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭eroc79

There's a new message from pas. Candidate feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Any book in particular that you would suggest ???

Anything by a guy called Rob Williams.

He had books for both numerical and verbal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

eroc79 wrote: »
    There's a new message from pas. Candidate feedback

whats it say

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

So from what I'm getting from people with prior experience of these competitions is that even if you placed well after the interviews, if you indicated your place of preference as being outside of Dublin, the chances of being called are slim - is that correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Disaster,
    Got 66 Verbal and 65 Numerical, but 36 on the Assessment Questionaire so didnt make it through this stage, i actually thought i'd have done better on the AQ than the other two sections. Going to have to get practising for future tests. Best of luck to all those whom have gotten through to the next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Hammar wrote: »
    Disaster,
    Got 66 Verbal and 65 Numerical, but 36 on the Assessment Questionaire so didnt make it through this stage, i actually thought i'd have done better on the AQ than the other two sections. Going to have to get practising for future tests. Best of luck to all those whom have gotten through to the next stage.

I feel for you, very similar to your scores and i missed out on the AQ figure by 2. The verbal and numerical tests can be practised till nigh,you know, tests involving analytical and verbal reasoning can be practised, it is tact that can help but its the AQ tests that could possibly be the stumbling block for a lot of candidates..............

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sunflowa

Got an invitation to Stage 2 there for the 1st of March

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭misslemon

Stage 2 dates have been released, or they've started to release them anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Catuohy89

23rd Feb... I'm already nervous....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Placed in the mid 500's and got called for Feb 27. Yikes, this is all happening very quickly.

The feedback while limited, i found imformative for myseld. I was worried based on posts this morning that it was my score in the assessment which had brought me up in the placings, and I would take a nose dive after the supervised tests. So I'm a little bit re-assured now.

Now to get swotting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭jules86

kildareash wrote: »
    Placed in the mid 500's and got called for Feb 27. Yikes, this is all happening very quickly.

The feedback while limited, i found imformative for myseld. I was worried based on posts this morning that it was my score in the assessment which had brought me up in the placings, and I would take a nose dive after the supervised tests. So I'm a little bit re-assured now.

Now to get swotting!

I'm 24th but over 1000 behind you

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

see some of ye on the 21st :D ....fastest moving competition I think I have ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sunflowa

jules86 wrote: »
    I'm 24th but over 1000 behind you

I placed 89 on the panel but my test isn't until March, weird!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

28th for me. Gahhhhh moving fast is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Belle23

Anyone ever heard of someone being allowed change their test date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Belle23 wrote: »

Not yet! I've to chance it later - hopefully I will be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

I was just inside the cut-off and mine is the 21st..

Working backwards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

eimaj77 wrote: »
    Not yet! I've to chance it later - hopefully I will be able to.

They might be able to accommodate you if slots are available

I've heard in the past they won't change it but will try and accommodate you if you come in another day but they won't guarantee you a position. There's normally places because there'll be no shows

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Belle23

I've heard in the past they won't change it but will try and accommodate you if you come in another day but they won't guarantee you a position. There's normally places because there'll be no shows

Thanks, I'd be hoping to get in the 24th instead of the 27th so hopefully some one needs a swap for then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Actually what's the highest number that's been called I wonder? Wondering how far I could fall down the rankings

I changed mine for the CO competition because it was the day I got back from Australia...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pkbc

I'm in on the 21st and I scored 1217 in the open. It really is moving a lot faster than last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yeboah wrote: »
    see some of ye on the 21st :D ....fastest moving competition I think I have ever seen

Seems a bit mad. Usually a few months, not weeks to be called! Must need positions to be filled very soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ilovethistles

I'm in 1st March... nervous, excited... Anyone else having problems opening the pre test info booklet? I keep getting error message?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FioRON

All happening quick! Might be a good thing, get it over with!

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Seems a bit mad. Usually a few months, not weeks to be called! Must need positions to be filled very soon..

I wonder if it's because the last EO panel will be out of date in April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I wonder if it's because the last EO panel will be out of date in April.

ah is that it. usually last 2 years is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Looks like it I was waiting for the new EO campaign when I applied.

The number of people on the current EO panel doesn't meet the current demand for EO's . This panel is suppose to be in place by April so I imagine that's why they are moving so quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭3ke6pn2v0zwsi7

Actually what's the highest number that's been called I wonder? Wondering how far I could fall down the rankings
    I placed number 1784 on Open Comp and have stage 2 on 1st March

It is mad how quickly its going!! I assume I'm not placed very highly in my regions but I thought it would be much slower. I'm def not availble to take up a position until early 2018 (If I was lucky enough to get offered one that is!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Bob Cratchit

Any idea how many applied? Might have been posted earlier, but I couldn't see it.
    I'm around 2000 so hoping there'll be a 2nd batch. I'm just outside the call up for the Irish stream also.😕

Any idea how many applied? Might have been posted earlier, but I couldn't see it.
    I'm around 2000 so hoping there'll be a 2nd batch. I'm just outside the call up for the Irish stream also.😕

Someone said 15000 but I don't know where they got that so could be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭misslemon

Is anyone else having problems opening the test familiarisation for Stage 2?

misslemon wrote: »
    Is anyone else having problems opening the test familiarisation for Stage 2?

It gives the same link to the shl website as the original and then explains what you need to bring on the day. Copy of the invite, passport photo, photo id less than 5 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 6 andsoitshould9

Not to get ahead of things but anyone have any idea about the interview stage? What it entails? How long it is etc? I'm afraid interviews are my downfall but I hope stage two goes well and I get through. I get beyond nervous and mess up. It's like anxiety.

• Advertisement
Advertisement