Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Challenge Galway 2017

Options
  • 16-12-2016 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Its on the website as TBC in June but nothing yet.

Surely if it was happening we'd need a date by Jan to be training towards??

Anyone have the inside scoop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

shansey wrote: »
    Its on the website as TBC in June but nothing yet.

Surely if it was happening we'd need a date by Jan to be training towards??

Anyone have the inside scoop?

There is a concern that there may be s shortage of pallets to be used in transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jnk883

I heard they were working with the council on road closure and were hoping to have details before Christmas. I'm guessing that is unlikely now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

tunney wrote: »
    There is a concern that there may be s shortage of pallets to be used in transition.

thought they left last years there so they'd be ready for this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

jnk883 wrote: »
    I heard they were working with the council on road closure and were hoping to have details before Christmas. I'm guessing that is unlikely now.

its a bit of a pity that ireland seems to be one of the most complicated countries to get road closure last year dublin was one of the last races to get that sorted out ( inthe uk they managee just fine ) and this year mos challenge races have already confirmed dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

I was hoping to enter this but if a date doesn't come soon i'll have to change my plans.. Will need roughly 6 months to get me up to that standard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭trailrunner

I was hoping to enter this but if a date doesn't come soon i'll have to change my plans.. Will need roughly 6 months to get me up to that standard!

Do yourself a favour and change your plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

Was it bad last year?.. Ticked boxes for me.. Early in season and not too expensive mainly.. Wanted some kind of brand too.. Don't want to be crossing the finish line and jump straight in the car and drive home.. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and go IM

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Was it bad last year?.. Ticked boxes for me.. Early in season and not too expensive mainly.. Wanted some kind of brand too.. Don't want to be crossing the finish line and jump straight in the car and drive home.. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and go IM

Not too expensive?
    250 odd for a half on open roads...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Sent them an email inquiring about it a few weeks ago but nothing back - i would guess its more a case of whether they think its financially viable next year than road closures. They had a big advantage last year with the uncertainty of Dublin 70.3 but not this year

Hope it goes ahead, I had no issues with it last year but I will have to look elsewhere soon for other options for late June/early July otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭trailrunner

catweazle wrote: »
    Sent them an email inquiring about it a few weeks ago but nothing back - i would guess its more a case of whether they think its financially viable next year than road closures. They had a big advantage last year with the uncertainty of Dublin 70.3 but not this year

Hope it goes ahead, I had no issues with it last year but I will have to look elsewhere soon for other options for late June/early July otherwise

No issues with it last year 😳 ...!!!!! Well done you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

catweazle wrote:

Ironman 70.3 Edinburgh on 2nd July, close enough to home. Challenging enough course by the looks of it, great location and scenery, guaranteed closed roads.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

No issues with it last year 😳 ...!!!!! Well done you

Instead of sniping and making sarcastic comments to me why don't you actually share your criticisms of the event.

My experience is from a slow full distance point of view I cant comment on anyone elses race. I found the volunteers great, bike was well marshalled, support was good in the city on the run, no issues with food stops, course was good.

Criticisms....no timing clock coming out of swim, road closures...badly handled before the race but it didn't bother me on the day, traffic wasn't very heavy around Clare when I was passing through, TI official shortening swim without actually telling us. They also took on too much with the Sprint, Olympic, 70.3 and a full. None of these are deal breakers and could be addressed this year.

I shelled out easily 2k+ to go to France last year for a race, it was nice to enter one with an all in cost of less then 400 euros.
    Ironman 70.3 Edinburgh on 2nd July, close enough to home. Challenging enough course by the looks of it, great location and scenery, guaranteed closed roads.

While Jakey is being nothing more then helpful here and offering me a different 70.3 within my date range, its a problem we have here, put in the cost of accommodation, travel, ship my tri bike and we are coming up to 1k+ again and Edinburgh is a first time race. Galway has all of the above - except for closed roads!

Races need to be supported over here or we wont have any its too easy to criticize them

* Probably wasting my time fighting over this anyways - there's a high probability this wont go ahead at this stage now

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

A friend contacted the organisers few weeks back. Apparently waiting on confirmation of road closures.
    An alternative I'd recommend is swinford half. 23rd July. Hassle free race and very well run. Nice lake swim, honest bike and nice run.

A friend contacted the organisers few weeks back. Apparently waiting on confirmation of road closures.
    An alternative I'd recommend is swinford half. 23rd July. Hassle free race and very well run. Nice lake swim, honest bike and nice run.

Did that race three times Rodney and I agree.......couldn't recommend it more highly but since they moved it out to late July I am snookered as my holidays are set in stone. I will keep the fingers crossed for Galway for another few weeks so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Sending the leading female the wrong way would put me off then again she should probably have familiarised herself first.

Also the long run from the Swim?

I dunno I hope for those people that are interested it goes ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jnk883

I see they have finally taken the race off the Challenge Family Calendar of races. They only did that today or yesterday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Shame to see it only lasted a year. Had been meaning to checl if there had been an update. Wonder what the reasons for pulling it were.

I saw in the 2017 Galway council allocation of funds their application was denied so I expect that was the death knell for them. Its a pity as I hoped they would carry on with the 1/2

Advertisement